I've never had more hope for a HC and staff

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thought I’m not “sold” yet (1-2, is 1-2 and we are only 3 games into this experiment), there is a lot of different data to consider - most of it good.

Team comes out prepared. Hot start for less talented/experienced team is important imo.

Team seems to want to play hard. Haven’t seen a single post questioning effort through three games. That couldn’t be said of the prior regime’s teams.

Team plays tough. There’s hitting in both sides of the ball. They won’t shrink from their opponent. I liked white talking trash to Dak yesterday.

The oline is actually working. I don’t know how talented they are or if it’s sustainable, but this is the most optimistic about oline play that I’ve been in a looong time. If they make the right offseason moves I believe this could be one of the best squads in cardinals history.

Gannon can be goofy (pew, pee, pew . . . shots!) but if he keeps this up he can be goofy as he wants. And we had 3 plays over 40 yards yesterday (like them shots).

They obviously saw something in dobbs that no one else has been able to untap kudos.

Undisciplined penalties are still a concern. They don’t always prevent you from winning, but they can sure make it more difficult. It’s reasonable to wonder if those had been halved whether this squad would’ve won one or two of their first two games.

Kyler is smiling. A lot. He’s in AZ. He’s putting the work. If this staff has him believing and that transforms him into a leader his career can skyrocket. And if it does he’ll pull the team along with him.

Pretty freaking positive about what we are seeing this far. And admittedly surprised.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coaching matters. Most of us were caught up in the “ glitter offense” we were running. Now we are seeing what an NFL offense needs to do to be efficient. We screens are out. No huddle is out. Actually running the ball on 2nd and 9 is in.

But let’s keep our heads. Down the road, Lack of depth is going to hurt us. Injuries to a couple of positions will cripple us, I.E. Dobbs and Connor. As the game film builds up opponents will adjust. Will we re-adjust?

That being said this team looks different. They’re playing hard. They’re tackling. They are covering closer than anything we’ve seen in the last 4 years. The play calling is so much better. The staff seems so calm and organized on the sidelines.

we will be hard pressed to beat the 49ers. They are primed and coming off a long rest. They have game film now and beating the Cowboys will put them on high alert.

But imagine the narrative if after next Sunday we are 2-2……

This is good. Injuries could be a problem. There are some players I think are key to the way we play. Dobbs and Conner as you mention, also Kyzir White. And our CB depth is so weak that is we lose either were in trouble.

It's great to see good coaching get the most of the talent we have. The problem with this is when you go against good coaching that has lots of talent to work with. Like the Niners.

JC and his coordinators out coached the Cowboys yesterday. I don't see that happening on Sunday. But I think we all expect that and just hope for another tough, well coached game where we give everything.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one thing i noticed from yesterday that was a nice change from the past, and speaks to preparation:

The Cowboys ran at least 10 waggle kinds of plays: hand off one direction, roll the qb a different direction.

yesterday: there was always somebody waiting on the backside of that play, and often more than one defender over there.

How many times in the past did we see the Cardinals react to that play like it was the first time they had ever seen it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I’m not “sold” yet (1-2, is 1-2 and we are only 3 games into this experiment), there is a lot of different data to consider - most of it good.

Team comes out prepared. Hot start for less talented/experienced team is important imo.

Team seems to want to play hard. Haven’t seen a single post questioning effort through three games. That couldn’t be said of the prior regime’s teams.

Team plays tough. There’s hitting in both sides of the ball. They won’t shrink from their opponent. I liked white talking trash to Dak yesterday.

The oline is actually working. I don’t know how talented they are or if it’s sustainable, but this is the most optimistic about oline play that I’ve been in a looong time. If they make the right offseason moves I believe this could be one of the best squads in cardinals history.

Gannon can be goofy (pew, pee, pew . . . shots!) but if he keeps this up he can be goofy as he wants. And we had 3 plays over 40 yards yesterday (like them shots).

They obviously saw something in dobbs that no one else has been able to untap kudos.

Undisciplined penalties are still a concern. They don’t always prevent you from winning, but they can sure make it more difficult. It’s reasonable to wonder if those had been halved whether this squad would’ve won one or two of their first two games.

Kyler is smiling. A lot. He’s in AZ. He’s putting the work. If this staff has him believing and that transforms him into a leader his career can skyrocket. And if it does he’ll pull the team along with him.

Pretty freaking positive about what we are seeing this far. And admittedly surprised.
I agree and I’m finding it hard not to be a little giddy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing i noticed from yesterday that was a nice change from the past, and speaks to preparation:

The Cowboys ran at least 10 waggle kinds of plays: hand off one direction, roll the qb a different direction.

yesterday: there was always somebody waiting on the backside of that play, and often more than one defender over there.

How many times in the past did we see the Cardinals react to that play like it was the first time they had ever seen it.
lol! I can still see Golden chasing the fske 5 yards downfield.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s been refreshing to have a coaching staff that adapts to their players abilities. I don’t remember the last coach we had that was not adamant that it was their system or nothing. Whisenhunt, BA and Kliff were terrible about this.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been refreshing to have a coaching staff that adapts to their players abilities. I don’t remember the last coach we had that was not adamant that it was their system or nothing. Whisenhunt, BA and Kliff were terrible about this.
Definitely nice to see the impression the staff is having on the players

And they are putting players in positions to succeed not shoving them into a one size fits all system

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This might be one of the most discipline defenses the Cardinals have had in quite some time. No one trying to do more than they should. Players keeping to their assignments. Staying in their lanes if you would. Playing as a unit.

Dobbs is playing within the offensive system. Again everyone knows their assignment and tries to carry it out. After watching the game yesterday their seems to be a high expectation of proper execution on both sides of the ball.

The coaching staff really seems to have a handle on understanding their players strengths and weaknesses and placing them in a position to succeed. Even more so, to date they have assembled very good game plans for reach game. As someone else said, did knowing the first three opponents well contribute to that? I guess next week will start to prove that out. One thing for sure, every team down the road will not take preparation for the Cardinals lightly. They will know they have to come prepared for battle.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I think JG probably benefited from facing three straight NFC East teams and already knew a lot of what he was going to do for those teams. It will be interesting to see how he handles the Niners, but again maybe some material in hand already after last year’s NFC championship.

If they pull an upset this is going to be a one way ticket to nutty nutty mojo town (NNMT). Like full on caw caw pew pew.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think JG probably benefited from facing three straight NFC East teams and already knew a lot of what he was going to do for those teams. It will be interesting to see how he handles the Niners, but again maybe some material in hand already after last year’s NFC championship.

If they pull an upset this is going to be a one way ticket to nutty nutty mojo town (NNMT). Like full on caw caw pew pew.
MOJO !!

Attachments

• IMG_6781.jpeg
    IMG_6781.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 6

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am liking what I see so far. The next phase for me to see is how these coaches start to make adjustments now that there is some real game tape out there. They've had three weeks to introduce new things and get the system down, but they can only get by on unknowns for so long. KK was terrible at making adjustments and the league caught on pretty quick. I hope JG and crew is able to stay innovative.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
KK was terrible at making adjustments and the league caught on pretty quick. I hope JG and crew is able to stay innovative.
Multiple years into his tenure, players STILL were looking around trying to figure out who was to blame, and there was zero continuity or growth.

It's nice to have a coach that will actually try and set a standard instead of enabling/being best buddies.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
They've been pleasantly surprising to watch. I didn't think they'd win a game or even be competitive. He's had them playing as well as they can.
It also shows you how god awful Kliff was.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Multiple years into his tenure, players STILL were looking around trying to figure out who was to blame, and there was zero continuity or growth.

It's nice to have a coach that will actually try and set a standard instead of enabling/being best buddies.
The most telling issue from Kliff that we've heard now that he is gone is that he didn't hold people accountable and struggled to confront players who continued to make mistakes.

We've already heard that this staff will confront players with their mistakes and will then tell the player how to fix it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The most telling issue from Kliff that we've heard now that he is gone is that he didn't hold people accountable and struggled to confront players who continued to make mistakes.

We've already heard that this staff will confront players with their mistakes and will then tell the player how to fix it.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Positive both sides and 12th overall. I don't recall us ever being positive on both under Kliff.

Commanders and Giants though. If we play them any other time than early we win those.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I was cautiously optimistic from the git-go. That was partially because of how much Philly wanted to keep JG by offering him head coach money to stay and partly because he and Monti seemed to want to adopt the 'draft and develop' strategy that has been so successful for long term winning teams like Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

JG really wanted to be here and he believes in Kyler.

But I am surprised by the early success. I expected contending for the playoffs next season and 2 to 4 wins this season
Now 6 to 8 wins seems possible.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

The point about Kyler is important. He's been a winner and quickly sniffs out incompetence like the previous staff.

It will be interesting to see how Murray does this season. If he takes this offense to another level maybe there will be more Cardinal Red at State Farm.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I was cautiously optimistic from the git-go. That was partially because of how much Philly wanted to keep JG by offering him head coach money to stay and partly because he and Monti seemed to want to adopt the 'draft and develop' strategy that has been so successful for long term winning teams like Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

JG really wanted to be here and he believes in Kyler.

But I am surprised by the early success. I expected contending for the playoffs next season and 2 to 4 wins this season
Now 6 to 8 wins seems possible.

I'm so high off the cowboys win I'm ready to predict JG will have this team fighting like demons for the last playoff spot. lol...