It's a torn meniscus in his right knee for Cam Johnson

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
That's too bad. I was hoping it was repairable and patient/doctor had opted for surgical repair. Removing part of the meniscus gets him back to us much sooner but he's likely to have problems in the future as a result.
And we know that how? I'm wondering for myself as I had a meniscectomy about 5 years ago and have been fully recovered ever since. Of course, I don't play professional basketball though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we know that how? I'm wondering for myself as I had a meniscectomy about 5 years ago and have been fully recovered ever since. Of course, I don't play professional basketball though.
I've read a lot about it (thanks to Bledsoe) but still, it's just what I've read - I have no personal knowledge on the subject and no medical insight.
...............MyHealth Alberta Ca
many doctors believe that successful meniscus repair helps to evenly spread the stress placed on the knee joint. If the knee is protected from uneven force, there is a lower risk of future joint problems.

..............Dr Geoffrey Van Thiel Ortho Illinois
In most patients, meniscus tear repair is preferred over meniscus removal. That’s because studies have shown when the meniscus is repaired and preserved, patients tend to experience better overall healing and better long-term joint function. In fact, some data shows that patients that have had part of their meniscus removed have a much higher likelihood of developing arthritis and cartilage loss in the knee.

.............Sciencedirect.com
A meniscectomy, on the other hand is known to be associated with an early onset of osteoarthritis. The present study compared clinical and radiological results at 10 years between meniscectomy and meniscal repair in isolated vertical lesion in an otherwise stable knee. The hypothesis was that repair shows functional and radiological benefit over meniscectomy.

...............NIH National Library of Medicine
Meniscal surgery yields significant improvement in postoperative scores. Complex tears showed significantly better postoperative scores when treated with repair.
...............Same source as above, different article
Whereas meniscal repairs have a higher reoperation rate than partial meniscectomies, they are associated with better long-term outcomes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson had a similar surgery in college to his left knee. This surgery was to his right knee. He returned in 5 weeks in college.

Brian Windhorst ESPN Senior Writer:

It was unclear until the operation whether Johnson would need a more extensive repair that could've ended his season. Johnson had a similar surgery in his left knee during his senior season at North Carolina in 2017 and returned in five weeks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
According to Brian Windhorst, the situation with Crowder is unchanged even with the injury to Cam Johnson and there are no plans for his return.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
For a good team this front office makes some really curious moves (and lack thereof).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a good team this front office makes some really curious moves (and lack thereof).

It's true.

It may have been you or someone else, but the Suns went into the past two seasons needing to make one move to put them over the top and didn't make it. We are not talking about a major move but adding a rotation player.

Here we are in a third season with a chance to contend and we are wondering the same thing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's true.

It may have been you or someone else, but the Suns went into the past two seasons needing to make one move to put them over the top and didn't make it. We are not talking about a major move but adding a rotation player.

Here we are in a third season with a chance to contend and we are wondering the same thing.
Think it was @GatorAZ

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot about it (thanks to Bledsoe) but still, it's just what I've read - I have no personal knowledge on the subject and no medical insight.
...............MyHealth Alberta Ca
many doctors believe that successful meniscus repair helps to evenly spread the stress placed on the knee joint. If the knee is protected from uneven force, there is a lower risk of future joint problems.

..............Dr Geoffrey Van Thiel Ortho Illinois
In most patients, meniscus tear repair is preferred over meniscus removal. That’s because studies have shown when the meniscus is repaired and preserved, patients tend to experience better overall healing and better long-term joint function. In fact, some data shows that patients that have had part of their meniscus removed have a much higher likelihood of developing arthritis and cartilage loss in the knee.

.............Sciencedirect.com
A meniscectomy, on the other hand is known to be associated with an early onset of osteoarthritis. The present study compared clinical and radiological results at 10 years between meniscectomy and meniscal repair in isolated vertical lesion in an otherwise stable knee. The hypothesis was that repair shows functional and radiological benefit over meniscectomy.

...............NIH National Library of Medicine
Meniscal surgery yields significant improvement in postoperative scores. Complex tears showed significantly better postoperative scores when treated with repair.
...............Same source as above, different article
Whereas meniscal repairs have a higher reoperation rate than partial meniscectomies, they are associated with better long-term outcomes.

The major difference between Cam and Bledsoe is Bledsoe's game relied heavily on his athleticism where as Cam is a shooter who isn't all that athletic. Bledsoe had multiple meniscus issues during his career. I'm not sure if it was the same one or both when he was a Sun, I believe both but don't care enough to look it up. I know he had multiple issues throughout his career though.

I figured Cam J would get the surgery to remove it, or a portion, and return sooner because his game is quite different than Bledsoe and Oubre, both guys who had similar injuries as Suns. Hopefully it's not something that comes bad to haunt us.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The major difference between Cam and Bledsoe is Bledsoe's game relied heavily on his athleticism where as Cam is a shooter who isn't all that athletic. Bledsoe had multiple meniscus issues during his career. I'm not sure if it was the same one or both when he was a Sun, I believe both but don't care enough to look it up. I know he had multiple issues throughout his career though.

I figured Cam J would get the surgery to remove it, or a portion, and return sooner because his game is quite different than Bledsoe and Oubre, both guys who had similar injuries as Suns. Hopefully it's not something that comes bad to haunt us.
We also don't know the difference in severity between the two. Cam apparently has already had this on his other knee and has only become a better athlete at the NBA level. I don't suspect this will be an issue over the next few years, but maybe it shortens his career later on.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
UNFATHOMABLE if it happens again. The west isn’t the juggernaut everyone thought it’d be…

- Warriors are a mess internally
- Kawhi is a role player at this point if he ever gets back
- Ingram and Zion can’t play together
- Denver isn’t capable of playing contending-level defense
- Mavs are a one man show

Any move the Suns make should be directly in mind to match up with Memphis.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there are a number of other teams in the East that I really doubt we'll get past in the playoffs, but hey, I'll take another ticket to the Finals!

Milwaukee, Miami, and Boston are 3 teams that I can't see the Suns beating. I can see another team emerging if a deal is made as well but those 3 would definitely beat Phoenix in a 7 game series.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Milwaukee, Miami, and Boston are 3 teams that I can't see the Suns beating. I can see another team emerging if a deal is made as well but those 3 would definitely beat Phoenix in a 7 game series.

Miami has regressed. They’ve seemed to have owned the last two years but I don’t think they’d beat us this year. Cavs over Miami.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miami has regressed. They’ve seemed to have owned the last two years but I don’t think they’d beat us this year. Cavs over Miami.

Miami always starts slow. Give it time. Spoelstra is too good of a coach and theres too much talent there not to be a contender.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
it's way too early to decide any team is unbeatable in a series. we definitely need to add to our roster but there's going to be injuries/additions/improvements for all of the teams that will impact the playoffs.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's true.

It has to be one of two things:

A. The GM and/or coach are being obstinate about sticking to a "system" that they feel only certain players can fit into and no one like that is available, or

B. The ownership is being stingey yet again... which wouldn't surprise anyone.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
it's way too early to decide any team is unbeatable in a series. we definitely need to add to our roster but there's going to be injuries/additions/improvements for all of the teams that will impact the playoffs.
Off course it is way too early. I'm just basing it on what I've seen of the Suns so far this season, and the little I've seen of the other top teams from the East. I would LOVE to eat my words to see Booker and CP3 hoist the trophy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. I was hoping it was repairable and patient/doctor had opted for surgical repair. Removing part of the meniscus gets him back to us much sooner but he's likely to have problems in the future as a result.
This. Seems like a short-term decision. In the long run a repair is better for his career. This likely will come back to haunt him at some point in his career now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Seems like a short-term decision. In the long run a repair is better for his career. This likely will come back to haunt him at some point in his career now.
Yep, although it's worth pointing out that sometimes a full repair isn't feasible and as far as I know, we've yet to hear the specifics on Cam's situation. Anyway, here's a paragraph on the factors that determine whether a repair is feasible from myhealth.alberta.ca.

Some types of tears can't be fixed. For example, radial tears sometimes can be fixed, but it depends on where they are. But most horizontal, long-standing, and degenerative tears—those caused by years of wear and tear—can't be fixed. For these kinds of tears, you may need to have part or all of the meniscus removed.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man Cam may regret not signing that extension, likely not gonna get a higher number now from anyone…

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
That sucks. Hope the Suns don't lowball him when it's time to offer a new contract.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose