It's 2024...Who's Worthy of Being Brought Back

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I like your list. I’d add a few. Baker (club option), Swaim, Hamilton, Woods and Strong. Free agency and the draft might affect a couple of these, but based on production and affordability, these would help.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
TE Swaim and CB Hamilton are tough. They're both 31. You'd prefer to get better. Hamilton is probably blocking the development of a young corner who would play on the Cards next playoff team. Both are worthy of being signed to a team lucky to win 9 games in 2024.

One of Trystan Colon and Elijah Wilkinson should return as veteran depth at LG. Denis Daley was somehow given a two-year contract and has played 146 offensive snaps this year. He hasn't taken the field since the Atlanta Falcons game.

I agree that we should bring back both off-ball LBs Josh Woods and Krys Barnes, just to remove the need to find other replacement-level players at the position.

Would you bring back two of IDL Leki Fotu, Kevin Strong, and L.J. Collier? Carlos Watkins is 31. Ledbetter is listed as an RFA so I assume he'll be back.

Agree that Dortch and Gillikin should be priorities.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
side question for anyone who knows--if the cardinals intend on building around Murray can the restructure his deal and spread it out a little better to free up some more cap $$?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TE Swaim and CB Hamilton are tough. They're both 31. You'd prefer to get better. Hamilton is probably blocking the development of a young corner who would play on the Cards next playoff team. Both are worthy of being signed to a team lucky to win 9 games in 2024.

One of Trystan Colon and Elijah Wilkinson should return as veteran depth at LG. Denis Daley was somehow given a two-year contract and has played 146 offensive snaps this year. He hasn't taken the field since the Atlanta Falcons game.

I agree that we should bring back both off-ball LBs Josh Woods and Krys Barnes, just to remove the need to find other replacement-level players at the position.

Would you bring back two of IDL Leki Fotu, Kevin Strong, and L.J. Collier? Carlos Watkins is 31. Ledbetter is listed as an RFA so I assume he'll be back.

The idl will depend a lot on free agency and draft. For any free agent or higher draft pick will eliminate someone off that list.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
side question for anyone who knows--if the cardinals intend on building around Murray can the restructure his deal and spread it out a little better to free up some more cap $$?
Dear God, please no! I don't want us more on the hook for KM for longer because I'm not sold on him long-term.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

They can restructure KM's base salary and add $29m to the available Cap.

Question is whether it's needed this offseason.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't think we would extend him - you can always restructure to turn salary into bonus money and spread it out more in the future, but that would involve Bidwill spending more money now. It would also create more dead cap money in the future if we decide to move on down the road.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear God, please no! I don't want us more on the hook for KM for longer because I'm not sold on him long-term.
Totally agree. If the Kyler is as good as he was Sunday he simply earning his money.
If what he was on Sunday is a mirage it would be a disaster. His contract needs to stay in the file cabinet.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The Cards can always restructure Kyler's contract, but it doesn't do much to smooth his salary cap number, as you can see from the far-right column in the table above.

The idl will depend a lot on free agency and draft. For any free agent or higher draft pick will eliminate someone off that list.

Not necessarily. You're going to take like 10-12 OL and 8-10 DL into camp. You could sign everyone on my list for like $15 million in 2024 cap space.

I wouldn't think we would extend him - you can always restructure to turn salary into bonus money and spread it out more in the future, but that would involve Bidwill spending more money now. It would also create more dead cap money in the future if we decide to move on down the road.
ACTUALLY, because of the rolling contract guarantees, we have the money already in escrow to pay Kyler's guaranteed salary; he's just getting it on the restructure day instead of parceled out over 17 weeks.

They could also convert the guaranteed salary piecemeal as needed. Converting $10 million into a bonus only impacts the go-forward cap by $2 million per year.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It’s time to pay Dortch.
Nobody else is going to offer him anything substantial...no reason at all to rush to resign him until after draft and FA plans are figured out. He's a nice commodity, but realistically needs to be slotted as a returner and 4th/5th WR. I think he can really excell at returning if they keep developing him in that regard. He's gotten much better this year as the season has worn on.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Probably two of these three ILB: Zeke Turner, Josh Woods, and Krys Barnes. Turner led the team in ST snaps and Pappoe was 4th. Woods wasn't used much on teams. Might just bring all three back as I feel the ILB room was pretty solid value in 2023.

One advantage on many of the Cardinals FAs is that there won't be a rush to sign them so if the Cardinals want to pursue an upgrade and miss, they should still be available.

Strong, Collier, Watkins, along with RFA Ledbetter probably all come back as I am sure the coaches will want to see them in the defense, and none should cost much.

Lock up Gillikin and Dortch long-term IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If OTC proj is accurate, giving Dortch 2 to 2.5 mil per year over the next three wouldn't be a bad deal.
I don’t trust those projections at all. Seems rich to me unless you expect Dortch to take Rondale Moore’s job next season. If we add two starting-caliber WRs in the offseason, I’d prefer these targets go to Michael Wilson.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t trust those projections at all. Seems rich to me unless you expect Dortch to take Rondale Moore’s job next season. If we add two starting-caliber WRs in the offseason, I’d prefer these targets go to Michael Wilson.
lol…take over for Moore. Not hard to imagine. In fact I prefer it.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Leki Fotu's last two games before his injury were actually very good. I don't know if "the light just came on" or his understanding the scheme improved, but he looked significantly better to me. Prior to those games I didn't think he was worth keeping.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Probably two of these three ILB: Zeke Turner, Josh Woods, and Krys Barnes. Turner led the team in ST snaps and Pappoe was 4th. Woods wasn't used much on teams. Might just bring all three back as I feel the ILB room was pretty solid value in 2023.

One advantage on many of the Cardinals FAs is that there won't be a rush to sign them so if the Cardinals want to pursue an upgrade and miss, they should still be available.

Strong, Collier, Watkins, along with RFA Ledbetter probably all come back as I am sure the coaches will want to see them in the defense, and none should cost much.

Lock up Gillikin and Dortch long-term IMO.
I guess. I'd probably bring all of them into camp, regardless. I just would prefer a developmental off-ball linebacker who can play special teams. Literally doesn't matter, and you kind of say.

Both Dortch and Gillikin are replaceable enough cogs that I don't pay them more than $2 million in guaranteed money -- maybe combined -- to keep them around.

We'll hardly be punting next season -- if we punt at all -- anyway.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Leki Fotu's last two games before his injury were actually very good. I don't know if "the light just came on" or his understanding the scheme improved, but he looked significantly better to me. Prior to those games I didn't think he was worth keeping.
Worry about Leki.
It could be the new scheme. Or it could simply be a contract year effort.
I would give him a 1 year deal... keep him in contract year effort

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn