It has to be Bosa or Trade

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So this is probably going to win the Captain Obvious Award from all of the people on here that do not want Murray but..

I will admit that I am not a superfan of Josh Rosen based on the fact that he doesn't seem like a guy that loves football. I don't want to hear from a QB about how excited he is to sit under a tree at UCLA in the offseason and sip coffee. I would rather hear about the study of the game of football, but whatever. My biggest concern is that he also doesn't seem very accurate. To me, he just doesn't seem like a guy that is not replaceable.

HOWEVER .......I will also admit that the situation he was in last year was ridiculous. Seeing his first action late in the 4th quarter of a winnable game was beyond absurd, and almost everything that followed from Steve Wilks was bush league. I will give Rosen this, he took a pounding and kept getting up, and there is no way to accurately assess his future productivity based on the joke that was the 2018 Arizona Cardinals.

This brings me to the draft. I will admit that the thought of Kyler Murray and a dual threat QB excites me. His accuracy seems amazing. He can run. He can pass. Other than height he looks like a complete package.

That said, I don't see any scenario where drafting Murray #1 makes even a little sense, and because of that, I can't see the Cardinals making this move for the following reasons.

1. Drafted Rosen at 10, traded picks to move up, cheap cap number

2. Kingsbury was hired to help Rosen

3. Kingsbury QBs at Texas Tech could move, but they weren't dual theat, it isn't a necessity

Now this is what I can't get over.

4. Drafting Murray gives SF Bosa, or the nightmare scenario where they trade down for the haul of picks that we are coveting. This could have direct ripple effects on SF and AZ for YEARS. This situation is kind of terrifying.

5. Drafting Murray means he is the presumed day 1 starter and I can't wrap my head around that. Would they really go into the season with Murray and Hundley as the 1 and 2?

And finally

6. 2018 was the ultimate embarrassment for the Cardinals organization. Wilks was fired and Kingsbury hired to turn it around, not repeat that dreadful season. There is no way in hell that drafting Murray and going into the season with Murray and Hundley gives the Cardinals a better chance of success in 2019 than keeping Rosen and adding Bosa or trading down and acquiring picks. No chance. The team today is already in a much better situation than it was anytime with Wilks. The worst possible outcome would be another 2018 season and making a decision like this that could set the organization back for years. Even if Murray ends up being great, I can't see how it is worth the risk. Too many things can go wrong.

So after all of that, I have to think that all of the Murray talk is a smoke screen. The Cardinals heard the chatter and are playing the game, maybe not even the right way. I just can't see how given the entire situation how any of this makes sense given all of the above factors.

We shall see. This is the most interesting offseason I have ever experienced.

The Red Army

Reaction score
Trade down is the ultimate & should be our #1 goal in this draft. Not one person is saying anyone else would take Murray overall #1 & not 1 place have I seen Murray as the #1 overall draft prospect. Bosa is most peoples #1 which means he should draw interest from other teams.
I think Gruden wants/needs to get Bosa (we know he loves his big names). If he moves up for Bosa that also keeps him away from the Niners.
If we could get #4--#27--and the Raiders 2 next year then Gruden has replaced Mack with Bosa & still gained a 1st for next year + Bosa's conctract vs Mack's 20+mil per year. That would be huge for Gruden.
Then more than likely Bosa-Williams-Allen go 1-2-3 so now the #4 pick is on sale to the highest bidder & they have their choice of QB--so Giants-Broncos-Dolphins-Redskins-Bengals with the Titans-& Bucs possible? Does Arians really believe in Winston? Titans in Mariotta? Plus Chargers-Pats
I think we then let someone who is on the hot seat & really needs to find his QBOF move up--I think that is Elway--I think another bad or mediocre season (Flacco is NOT the answer but could be a bridge). So, #4 for #10 & #41
Now we have #10--#27--#33--#41 and Raiders #2 next year (prob high 2)
#10---Oliver/Burns/J Williams
#27---Ford if he falls/Greedy/Murphy/Bradbury(what would a really good center do for our line?)
#33---Harry/Brown/Fant
#41--McGary(would love here)/Polite/Tillery/Jones
This is what I would like to see us do (of course you need trade partners) & if Rosen is bad next year we do what we need to to get one of the QB's 2020--have an extra 2 to help with that.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if Rosen gets rocked because of his lack of mobility behind this, still, shoddy line and we get hundley regardless? Also, Rosen has a history of concussions we shouldn't overlook.. jmo.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Not one person is saying anyone else would take Murray overall #1 & not 1 place have I seen Murray as the #1 overall draft prospect. Bosa is most peoples #1 which means he should draw interest from other teams.

I think Gruden wants/needs to get Bosa (we know he loves his big names). If he moves up for Bosa that also keeps him away from the Niners.

PFF has Murray as #1 overall prospect. There is a podcast video in Murray thread #113.

I agree on Bosa to Raiders.

Welcome to the board!

The Red Army

Reaction score
If Rosen gets rocked then we will have a very high #1 next year & there are better QB prospects next year (barring injuries, etc...) But we will have added several (hopefully) good starters to our roster--of course that depends on Mr Keim (hey even a broken clock is right 2 times a day so the more high picks he gets the better his chances are)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What if Rosen gets rocked because of his lack of mobility behind this, still, shoddy line and we get hundley regardless? Also, Rosen has a history of concussions we shouldn't overlook.. jmo.
This is on Keim. If this OL is as bad as last year and Rosen goes down because of it then Keim better have his office packed up because that would seal his fate here.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cards are supposedly meeting with Bosa for two days this week. Either they really want him, or they are ramping up the appearance of wanting him so that other teams (Raiders?) get all hot and bothered to the point of trading up in desperation

Reaction score
PFF has Murray as #1 overall prospect. There is a podcast video in Murray thread #113.

I agree on Bosa to Raiders.

Welcome to the board!

If they do have him listed as the top overall prospect & not QB they would be the only ones I've seen. Most have him in the mid teens to high twenties.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Let’s not be prisoners of the moment. Just because the team met with Bosa recently and will again soon doesn’t mean he’s the guy. Just like when the Murray hype video surfaced and everyone lost their G.D. minds.

What's going to happen when Arizona meets with Q. Williams? Ed Oliver? Josh Allen?

Reaction score
Let’s not be prisoners of the moment. Just because the team met with Bosa recently and will again soon doesn’t mean he’s the guy. Just like when the Murray hype video surfaced and everyone lost their G.D. minds.

What's going to happen when Arizona meets with Q. Williams? Ed Oliver? Josh Allen?

I read today that they have Oliver & Murphy coming in for a visit.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So this is probably going to win the Captain Obvious Award from all of the people on here that do not want Murray but..

I will admit that I am not a superfan of Josh Rosen based on the fact that he doesn't seem like a guy that loves football. I don't want to hear from a QB about how excited he is to sit under a tree at UCLA in the offseason and sip coffee. I would rather hear about the study of the game of football, but whatever. My biggest concern is that he also doesn't seem very accurate. To me, he just doesn't seem like a guy that is not replaceable.

HOWEVER .......I will also admit that the situation he was in last year was ridiculous. Seeing his first action late in the 4th quarter of a winnable game was beyond absurd, and almost everything that followed from Steve Wilks was bush league. I will give Rosen this, he took a pounding and kept getting up, and there is no way to accurately assess his future productivity based on the joke that was the 2018 Arizona Cardinals.

This brings me to the draft. I will admit that the thought of Kyler Murray and a dual threat QB excites me. His accuracy seems amazing. He can run. He can pass. Other than height he looks like a complete package.

That said, I don't see any scenario where drafting Murray #1 makes even a little sense, and because of that, I can't see the Cardinals making this move for the following reasons.

1. Drafted Rosen at 10, traded picks to move up, cheap cap number

2. Kingsbury was hired to help Rosen

3. Kingsbury QBs at Texas Tech could move, but they weren't dual theat, it isn't a necessity

Now this is what I can't get over.

4. Drafting Murray gives SF Bosa, or the nightmare scenario where they trade down for the haul of picks that we are coveting. This could have direct ripple effects on SF and AZ for YEARS. This situation is kind of terrifying.

5. Drafting Murray means he is the presumed day 1 starter and I can't wrap my head around that. Would they really go into the season with Murray and Hundley as the 1 and 2?

And finally

6. 2018 was the ultimate embarrassment for the Cardinals organization. Wilks was fired and Kingsbury hired to turn it around, not repeat that dreadful season. There is no way in hell that drafting Murray and going into the season with Murray and Hundley gives the Cardinals a better chance of success in 2019 than keeping Rosen and adding Bosa or trading down and acquiring picks. No chance. The team today is already in a much better situation than it was anytime with Wilks. The worst possible outcome would be another 2018 season and making a decision like this that could set the organization back for years. Even if Murray ends up being great, I can't see how it is worth the risk. Too many things can go wrong.

So after all of that, I have to think that all of the Murray talk is a smoke screen. The Cardinals heard the chatter and are playing the game, maybe not even the right way. I just can't see how given the entire situation how any of this makes sense given all of the above factors.

We shall see. This is the most interesting offseason I have ever experienced.
Hell of a post bro, nicely said, I feel the same way.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That could happen yes, but Murray could get horse collar tackled from someone just trying to get a hand on him, knees buckle & blows out an ACL. Crap shoot either way. Our off line already looks better on paper than last yrs, can't be any worse.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Rosen gets rocked then we will have a very high #1 next year & there are better QB prospects next year (barring injuries, etc...) But we will have added several (hopefully) good starters to our roster--of course that depends on Mr Keim (hey even a broken clock is right 2 times a day so the more high picks he gets the better his chances are)
Tua and that's about it. Say we land the 5th pick in next year's draft and we have a couple teams ahead of us who need a QB. Always happens.. they won't budge.,.. but if you think there are better prospects, then that's cool. I haven't looked into any of next year's class outside Tua.

Reactions: Kai

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That could happen yes, but Murray could get horse collar tackled from someone just trying to get a hand on him, knees buckle & blows out an ACL. Crap shoot either way. Our off line already looks better on paper than last yrs, can't be any worse.
Yes, that was my point.. It really is a crapshoot. But with Murray's ability to get down and out of harms way it seems that he would fare better than Rosen behind a suspect line. Like Wilson for those years of horrible line play.. they had a turnstile line and he survived because of his scrambling ability and pocket awareness.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That really is a questionable big board. Tillery is nowhere near top 7 in the nation and Simmons just blew his ACL two weeks ago.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
I just did a mock draft on Fanspeak and took Bosa and Murray fell to Oakland at 27. Lots of skill positions later in the draft, we need to focus on the lines. Maybe get an extra pick in a trade down in the 2nd and take a wr

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, that was my point.. It really is a crapshoot. But with Murray's ability to get down and out of harms way it seems that he would fare better than Rosen behind a suspect line. Like Wilson for those years of horrible line play.. they had a turnstile line and he survived because of his scrambling ability and pocket awareness.
Murray can sling it yes, from different arm angles at that because of playing SS in baseball. I can't stand Russell Wilson because of the team he plays for lol, that being said, Murray has a long ways to go to be as accurate of a passer as RW is right now. Scrambling ability, at this point Murray is probably more nimble than RW because he's younger & faster.