Isaiah Simmons

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I will take it even further. Because of first round 5th year option costs, it is smarter to draft a RB in round 1 of the NFL draft than it is to draft an ILB in round 1. If the player plays in multiple Pro BowlsYou are more likely to pick up the 10.9 mil 5th year on the RB than the 20.9 for an ILB.
If a player plays in multiple pro bowls, other than RB, you’re likely to have negotiated a longer term contract before the 5th year option comes into play. The 20.9 is moot at that point.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If a player plays in multiple pro bowls, other than RB, you’re likely to have negotiated a longer term contract before the 5th year option comes into play. The 20.9 is moot at that point.
Any agent worth their salt is going to factor in the 20.9 5th year option into the future extension.

Tremaine Edmonds just got 18 mil per year. Roquan Smith 20 mil per year. Neither by the team who drafted them. Are you paying either of those contracts?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure, some have. The issue is the path to success when drafting non-premium positions in the top 10. Only 2 of the 24 ILB/S currently paid over 10 mil per year were drafted in the top 10. 1 S and 1 ILB.

However, due to 5th year option calculations, if Simmons had made one Pro Bowl, his 5th year option would have been 17.478 mil this season. That would have put him at the 5 highest ILB salary in the NFL. Chase Young would be 17.452. Derrick Brown 16 mil. Tristan Wirfs is 16.6 mil. Cj Henderson 15.791. Justin Jefferson 17.9 (if he would have only made 1 Pro Bowl).

So, one Pro Bowl made on a rookie deal, leads to a 5th year option of.

ILB - 17.478 (5th highest paid ILB)
WR - 17.9 (16th highest paid WR)
DE - 17.452 (11th highest paid EDGE)
DT - 16 (18th highest paid DT)
CB - 15.791 (10th highest paid CB)
OT - 16.6 (19th highest paid OT)

So basically, you can't pick up the option for an ILB drafted in round 1 who has made a Pro Bowl unless he is one of the 5 best in the NFL because that is where his 5th year option will be.

The path to success is just so narrow it is dumb to pursue.
You out did yourself, great post!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
His contract runs out after this year. No need to cut him.

I'll be really interested to see what Collins' looks like this season before they have to pull the trigger on his fifth-year option. Stinks to not really have many building blocks from two full draft classes. Marco Wilson might be the best player we've gotten from those two drafts.
I so wanted CeeDee Lamb in that draft. :(

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I despise Keim.

Clown really drafted like the NFL was still in the 1990s.
I really didnt want Derrick Brown. Wanted OT or maybe trade back and get a Wr.

However, yea I'd be ok with missing on Wirfs, etc. with Derrick Brown (I know hindsight). At least it would have filled a need.

Shame the Panthers didnt go the Simmons route like was rumored.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watching Simmons again play is stomach curling. For those of you that try to justify his awful performance with his new position please reflect why he is in the new position. He has forever been a player who appears lost. I’m sure coaches look at the size and athleticism and keep thinking they can find a spot and make it work. What many have concluded though through tape is you can’t coach intellect. Seeing his pregame “I’m tough” shout out, he thinks he is so much better than he is. If he was not a high draft pick he would likely be cut. How about we trade him for a cheerleader at this point and save ourselves a lot of heartburn. The tape does not lie!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I was so ecstatic when we drafted him. I thought he'd be everything that we hoped Reddick was going to be and wasn't with us. Instead, Reddick leaves and becomes a star elsewhere and Simmons appears to be the one headed for long-term disappointment.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hadn’t either.

Simmons may be the greatest disappointment I’ve ever had in a player. I was hopeful he was out luke keuchly. Yeesh.
Simmons might be one of the most frustrating players we've had, but he's had some great and memorable plays as well.

For me, Josh Rosen and Jonathan Cooper were both more disappointing.

I'd rate him around the same place as Michael Floyd.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t either.

Simmons may be the greatest disappointment I’ve ever had in a player. I was hopeful he was out luke keuchly. Yeesh.
I'm with you, but I thought he would be Patrick Willis.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons might be one of the most frustrating players we've had, but he's had some great and memorable plays as well.

For me, Josh Rosen and Jonathan Cooper were both more disappointing.

I'd rate him around the same place as Michael Floyd.
Eh… at least Floyd had one 1000 yard season, helping us to the best Cardinals team of all time in 2015.

Simmons high point was… I guess last year, where he made a decent amount of splash plays… after being benched for scrubs… on the worst Cardinals team ever.

So, he’s a step above Rosen/Cooper for sure, but I’d still have him a step below Floyd, especially because Simmons came in with a ton of hype after being a collegiate superstar on a title contending Clemson squad.