Is this the best Suns team ever?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most pathetic playoff performance from a number one seed in any sport I've followed, ever. Not even close.

But I suspect I'd be a lot more devastated had I been a Seahawks fan the morning after my Head Coach called for a pass play in a short yardage situation (with a GREAT short yardage back available) and even that loss would likely pale in comparison to the misery I'd feel knowing my Atlanta Falcons team had a 25 point lead with just over a quarter to play.

I'm in a daze this morning, a little depressed and feel like I can never truly love sports again. But I don't feel it in my heart the way I have some other disappointing Arizona losses through the years. I can laugh this one off, it was a pitiful performance in every way.

But I still ache a little from the 2 losses to the Rockets and the loss to Duke in the finals and the miserable comeback loss to Illinois or the last second touchdown catch by Pittsburgh or the late game collapse against Santa Clara and many others. So, worst loss ever yeah, but not worst feeling ever (for me, anyway).
Yeah. It’s not a heartbreaker like the other ones. It’s just straight up pitiful. There’s two different kinds of worst… it’s the single worst performance in nba history when you look at the context, expectations, 2-0 series lead, clowning the other team hone court, etc.

So maybe the most embarassing loss in nba history is better way to put it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s not a heartbreaker like the other ones. It’s just straight up pitiful. There’s two different kinds of worst… it’s the single worst performance in nba history when you look at the context, expectations, 2-0 series lead, clowning the other team hone court, etc.

So maybe the most embarassing loss in nba history is better way to put it.
Absolutely.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most pathetic playoff loss on history.

No, the Atlanta loss to New England was worse. That was the biggest choke, for sure. I'd also say Super Bowl XLVIII was worse as well, the Seahawks were up 36-0 before Denver scored. The final was 43-8.

I'd say the worst playoff loss in NBA history. Definitely the 30 years or so I've been following it. Being a game 7 and at home helps twist the knife and make it more brutal than some other beatdowns.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe this may be my 1st post ever on the Suns board. I have to be honest in that with every passing NBA season, I watch less and less of pro hoops. I've been a Knicks fan since the 60's, and maybe if they weren't the WORST franchise in all of sports, I may watch more. As a kid, and a young adult, NBA basketball was by far my favorite sport. Loved the NYK era of Reed (my fave), Clyde Frazier, DeBusschere, Bradley, Earl the Pearl, Jerry Lucas, etc, etc. Anyways, I do LOVE 7th games in any sport. Last night, I went back & forth watching the Suns, Rangers/Pens, and Stars/Flames. The Suns game was so bad, and I felt so bad for the Suns fans, that I obviously had to settle watching 2 OT thrilling NHL games instead. Sadly, I have a feeling many on this board did the same. 27 points at halftime is mind-boggling & unwatchable. I thought the 2018 Cardinals were the most unwatchable pro team I had ever followed. Last nights game was FAR worse.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair, they looked incredible the first two-thirds of the regular season.
Just like the Cardinals. These fools gold teams are always worse IMO. I'd rather have that pelicans team who fought and scraped their way into the playoffs and played the way they did towards the end... Those are the most fun. Had a feeling these sun's just coasted along all year on talent and cockiness alone and didn't keep working on the little things while everyone else was...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it early on in this thread and I got the impression nobody liked it. Nobody should be arguing this is the best Suns team ever if we get bounced. I said it depends on what they do in the playoffs. I thought it was premature basing that on just the regular season. Why? Because we have seen what happens to really good regular season teams before in the playoffs. Nobody talks about the Mavs when it happened to them as being the best Mavs team ever.

There is a big distinction between the best regular season team and the best team overall.

THIS WASN'T IT.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a big distinction between the best regular season team and the best team overall.

THIS WASN'T IT.
For me, there just isn't much difference. This was our best team ever AFAIC. Horrible playoff run, weak stretch of games to end the season but we were dominant the first half of the year and then dominant in the 4th quarter, on both sides of the ball, formost of the rest of the season. Not the most exciting, not the most fun. But, best record, best team.

If any of our previous teams had ended the playoffs as a winner, I'd agree with you and this team would drop a spot. But they didn't, they were all losers and I'd take zero consolation if this team had breezed to the finals and lost there. We lost and in the era of winning is everything, that makes us a loser. So, best loser Suns team of all time. Yay us.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, there just isn't much difference. This was our best team ever AFAIC. Horrible playoff run, weak stretch of games to end the season but we were dominant the first half of the year and then dominant in the 4th quarter, on both sides of the ball, formost of the rest of the season. Not the most exciting, not the most fun. But, best record, best team.

If any of our previous teams had ended the playoffs as a winner, I'd agree with you and this team would drop a spot. But they didn't, they were all losers and I'd take zero consolation if this team had breezed to the finals and lost there. We lost and in the era of winning is everything, that makes us a loser. So, best loser Suns team of all time. Yay us.
Slight difference for me. The regular season is all about positioning in the playoffs. Most teams don't have an entire series to prep for you. So, the real test always has been and always will be the playoffs. That's when the cream rises to the top. So, even though I don't dismiss the regular season, the results of the playoffs really decides who the best teams are not the regular season.

Best record doesn't mean best team and that can be demonstrated in almost every sport.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Nash era was the best era of Suns basketball. They never got to the promised land like the Barkley/CP3 era teams but they didn’t choke like dogs either. It was more injury/poor ownership related.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Nash era was the best era of Suns basketball. They never got to the promised land like the Barkley/CP3 era teams but they didn’t choke like dogs either. It was more injury/poor ownership related.

Oh they were huge choke artist. Those teams under achieved year in year out. That team should of had at least 1 championship and they never even got out of the west

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Oh they were huge choke artist. Those teams under achieved year in year out. That team should of had at least 1 championship and they never even got out of the west
What year did they choke? The Nash/nose and suspension series?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. The first team was so young going up against a dynasty in its prime and without Joe Johnson. The second team had no Amare and lost KT and Raja Bell in the playoffs and both Mavs and Spurs were better.

The 2010 team just wasn’t as good as the prime Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom Lakers.

The only team that really “underachieved” was 2007. That team should have beat that Spurs team and it never should have come down to the suspensions. DA lost that series in Game 1 when he stubbornly refused to play KT and started James Freaking Jones and immediately gave up HCA.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way. The first team was so young going up against a dynasty in its prime and without Joe Johnson. The second team had no Amare and lost KT and Raja Bell in the playoffs and both Mavs and Spurs were better.

The 2010 team just wasn’t as good as the prime Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom Lakers.

The only team that really “underachieved” was 2007. That team should have beat that Spurs team and it never should have come down to the suspensions. DA lost that series in Game 1 when he stubbornly refused to play KT and started James Freaking Jones and immediately gave up HCA.

I think we were just as good as the lakers and they should of beaten that Spurs team like you said

For that group to never even get out of the west is a huge miss. A championship is hard I get it, but to never even win the west?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think we were just as good as the lakers and they should of beaten that Spurs team like you said

For that group to never even get out of the west is a huge miss. A championship is hard I get it, but to never even win the west?
Meh they murder Dallas with Amare and the 07’ semis was basically the NBA finals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh they murder Dallas with Amare and the 07’ semis was basically the NBA finals.
Yup.

This thread might be the funniest of all time after that epic all-time collapse.

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup.

This thread might be the funniest of all time after that epic all-time collapse.
Now that’s it’s not fresh I’ve come to terms with it. I believe I heard the Mavs have the second best record to us since Jan? So to run into them playing well and us playing like crap basically since the playoffs started was just bad luck. Let’s be honest this version we have seen since the playoffs began would’ve got rolled by GS anyway. Yes our exit came early and it may have been entertaining playing GS but this worn out version of CP3 we would have been toast. And everyone forgetting how to shoot all at the same time was just crazy. Literally and statistically play our single worst game of the damn season in a game 7! Which is obviously why you don’t even want to go to game 7 type situations, bad game and boom season over. Yuck

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Now that’s it’s not fresh I’ve come to terms with it. I believe I heard the Mavs have the second best record to us since Jan? So to run into them playing well and us playing like crap basically since the playoffs started was just bad luck. Let’s be honest this version we have seen since the playoffs began would’ve got rolled by GS anyway. Yes our exit came early and it may have been entertaining playing GS but this worn out version of CP3 we would have been toast. And everyone forgetting how to shoot all at the same time was just crazy. Literally and statistically play our single worst game of the damn season in a game 7! Which is obviously why you don’t even want to go to game 7 type situations, bad game and boom season over. Yuck
All that being true still doesn’t account for the totally gutless display in a game 7, or Monty’s helplessness, or Ayton apparently quitting on the team. This team didn’t just lose a game 7. It came completely apart at the seams, on the court, and seemingly in its very soul.

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All that being true still doesn’t account for the totally gutless display in a game 7, or Monty’s helplessness, or Ayton apparently quitting on the team. This team didn’t just lose a game 7. It came completely apart at the seams, on the court, and seemingly in its very soul.
As my previous post said I think Monty tan the starters into the ground, they were spent! Even Book & Bridges who always seem to have limitless energy looked totally out of gas. There were many games in the season and even changing rotation minutes could have saved lots of wasted minutes on these guys. Monty was so focused on the best record number one seed he tan everyone into the ground to get it. Then shortened the rotation even more in the playoffs instead of using some of the bench more. How could Ish, Holiday, Biz, Shamet, Even Payton not have helped and sucked some of the minutes of the starters. **** every time Ish and Holiday came in they scored almost instantly, yet in a game like last night no one could hit the broad side of the barn yet we don’t try anyone off the bench? 40 4th qtr points lots of bench points, 27 first half starters points? Seriously try someone anyone off the bench when it’s clearly getting away from you and no one is hitting anything! The lack of in game adjustments is absurd no to mention not calling time outs on insane runs against us…

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I don’t think Booker was playing gutless I think him and Crowder were putting the most and rightfully so out there they just couldn’t hit anything. The were blitzing the crap out of Book that was their game plan period make anyone not named Book beat us!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose