Is this the best Suns team ever?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns team with Danny Manning in 94 should have won it all.

KJ and Socks
Marjele and Ainge
Manning Wesley Person
Barkley, AC Green, and Tisdale
Kleine and Schayes

Dumas 12th man
Yes they should have. That Manning injury was devastating to that team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a great comparison. My only disagreement with this would be the McGee better than Miller argument. I would call them more of a push -- and Chambers vs. Stix. Chambers was never worse than Stix. Chambers might be better than Stix right now.
That's not the way I remember it. I remember dreading anytime Chambers got on the court that season.

I mean Miller vs Mcgee is an interesting comparison - in a vacumn I might agree they are a push - but on a team with Chris Paul no question McGee is the more valuable player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns have won 34 of their last 40 games. That sick. This team is really good no matter what happens. I will never call this team better than any other team unless they take it all. The playoffs are a different beast than the regular season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This team is 2004 Pistons-esque. A consummate TEAM without any MVP level superstar to ride.

That means come playoff time, they will all need to be firing on all cylinders. I think they can do it, but time will tell.

Only thing I know for sure is I love watching them play. Last two seasons have been a joy. Wasn’t even mad when we lost the Finals. Haven’t really been “mad” or steaming about any loss the last two years. Maybe I’ve aged out of that feeling or just grateful for this level of ball with much more worrisome things going on personally and in the world right now... and prob because I never thought we’d reach this place ever again with Sarver.

I’m just enjoying the ride.
I mean they don't have a guy that can take over every night, but Booker can absolutely take over games for them when others don't have it going. Even Paul can take over at times when the team needs it. Those two are legit top tier offensive players. The 04 Pistons didn't really have top flight offensive players (maybe Rip to an extent), but were stifling on the defensive end.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean they don't have a guy that can take over every night, but Booker can absolutely take over games for them when others don't have it going. Even Paul can take over at times when the team needs it. Those two are legit top tier offensive players. The 04 Pistons didn't really have top flight offensive players (maybe Rip to an extent), but were stifling on the defensive end.
yeah... I feel like Paul and Booker are the edge of and sometime legit superstar/very rich man's Chauncey and Rip. We don't have quite the size that Pistons team had in the starting lineup, but we play together as a flat out, consummate TEAM like they do.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be fair we also haven't seen Booker at his peak yet (at least we likely haven't). We may not see him at his absolute peak for another 3-4 years.
I like to think, when it’s all said and done, Book can retire as the Greatest Sun ever. Honestly, he’s gotten a lot better defensively and he’s still at 4 assists and 5 rebounds per. If he elevates those numbers slightly, and can just avoid some of the off nights and shoot 47-50% field, he can get in top 7 NBA player territory. He’s got the attitude and we know Book works.

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns have won 34 of their last 40 games. That sick. This team is really good no matter what happens. I will never call this team better than any other team unless they take it all. The playoffs are a different beast than the regular season.
True but this team already got to the finals once that’s more than any Nash era team. And it was CP3s first season here, this team of not already has definitely the potential to be the best Suns team of all time.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think there's some recency bias going on with regards to Booker. Nash and Barkley were league MVP level players. I don't think Book ever reaches that level.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Athletic peak isn't just explosive. It's stronger. Faster reaction

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's some recency bias going on with regards to Booker. Nash and Barkley were league MVP level players. I don't think Book ever reaches that level.
Same. Those guys were elite or all-time good at multiple things in their game. Barkley was an incredible scorer, rebounded and great passer for his position. Nash was an all-time passer and shooter. They were both multiple MVP candidates and 3 time winners between them. Bar none the best players at their position on the court during their primes.

Book isn’t at that level... anywhere. He’s a very very good scorer but not elite. Not a great three point shooter. He’s a solid at best passer. Solid defender. But there’s no All-Time anything in his game.

But what he does have going for him at this point is he’s our best home-grown player and has longevity on everyone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Book can become the greatest sun ever if he does one thing: win a championship. Homegrown kid that would likely be our leading scorer in winning a Finals. Likely finishes in top 10, even top 5 in multiple categories in Suns all-time numbers and likely as our all time scorer.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's impossible to compare Barkley era to this one. The game is way different today. The Barkley team would smoke us in the Barkley era without a doubt.
But we would likely beat that team today.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are 36 games left in the season. If the Suns play at the same pace they will go 29-7 from here out. That means the Warriors would have to lose only three games from here out to catch us. The rest of the teams that are close could win every game and not catch us.

And we are playing better now than at the beginning of the season. The Suns are the best team in the league and it's not that close.

And the narrative around the league is that the Suns have been the only healthy team, when that is totally untrue. Last night they had six players out, including two starters and a key back up pg.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 36 games left in the season. If the Suns play at the same pace they will go 29-7 from here out. That means the Warriors would have to lose only three games from here out to catch us. The rest of the teams that are close could win every game and not catch us.

And we are playing better now than at the beginning of the season. The Suns are the best team in the league and it's not that close.

And the narrative around the league is that the Suns have been the only healthy team, when that is totally untrue. Last night they had six players out, including two starters and a key back up pg.

I still feel the Suns are not playing close to their capabilities with all the players out and those that are playing are not clicking anywhere near full speed especially Devin Booker, Landry Shamet and Mikal Bridges.

Suns will miss Cam Payne while he is out.

It's crazy how much Biyombo has helped the team. He has helped the Suns win some games they would have otherwise lost.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still feel the Suns are not playing close to their capabilities with all the players out and those that are playing are not clicking anywhere near full speed especially Devin Booker, Landry Shamet and Mikal Bridges.

Suns will miss Cam Payne while he is out.

It's crazy how much Biyombo has helped the team. He has helped the Suns win some games they would have otherwise lost.
I don't know about that. I think the players are likely who they are at this point. I don't see any surprises or huge leaps in play from the guys above. Shamet is always going to be sink or swim, Bridges for as consistent he is on defense is just as consistently inconsistent on offense. Booker is Booker.

When this team is clicking on all cylinders they can beat anybody. For the most part they have been or they wouldn't only have 9 losses. I just don't know how much more we can expect without another signing. Biyombo has been amazing and shores up that position along with McGee.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I think the players are likely who they are at this point. I don't see any surprises or huge leaps in play from the guys above. Shamet is always going to be sink or swim, Bridges for as consistent he is on defense is just as consistently inconsistent on offense. Booker is Booker.

When this team is clicking on all cylinders they can beat anybody. For the most part they have been or they wouldn't only have 9 losses. I just don't know how much more we can expect without another signing. Biyombo has been amazing and shores up that position along with McGee.

The Suns do have some players that are not getting minutes or are injured. It only stands to reason if the Suns could get 15 players (that could see the court) they would be a better team. Of course I'm sure a lot of teams feel this way.

I'm sure Booker and Bridges can play better and I'm hopeful Shamet can as well.

The Suns could definitely use another forward to replace what Torey Craig brought to the table and personally I'd like another shooter/ball handler. I'd like to tweak the roster to solidify their depth for a championship run.

Biyombo is an outstanding addition and he has exceeded my expectations of who the Suns could add with their open roster spot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, the answer to the thread question. Is this the best Suns team ever? The numbers say yes. I agree with the numbers. In 45 years or so of watching the Suns, this is the most enjoyable team to watch.

They need to get a pg because I would like to see them rest Paul and Book for whole games (not the same games) going down the stretch. After the AS break, they need to start resting for the playoffs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the 06/07 team deserves a little love in this conversation. If not for David Stern and Bob Horry they likely win the title.

Just like this year's team, they also reached a record of 37-9, after a 1-5 start they went on a stretch of 38-4. They had the league's best offense and were the best defensive team of the Nash era, although that isn't saying much.