Is this correct for the play-in?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
If the Lakers beat the Suns, they would automatically get the 8th seed, while the Suns would have to play another game to get the 7th seed?

This doesn't seem fair or am I reading this wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 12.37.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 12.37.52 PM.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 9

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever wins gets the 7th seed.

Whoever loses then faces the winner of the 9/10 matchup to try and secure the 8th seed.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns will be either 6th or 7th seed.

In order to get 6th, Suns have to beat Minnesota and Lakers have to beat Pelicans. Otherwise, Suns are 7th.
I think this is a likely scenario and it’s probably best case scenario for the Suns because:

1. The Lakers would beat them I think.
2. Then they would probably play the Warriors and lose that game as well.
3. Playing Minnesota in the 1st rd is preferable to OKC and even Denver (I know we beat them twice but that’s definitely not a team I’d want to see in a 7 game series)

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns will be either 6th or 7th seed.

In order to get 6th, Suns have to beat Minnesota and Lakers have to beat Pelicans. Otherwise, Suns are 7th.
I think this is a likely scenario and it’s probably best case scenario for the Suns because:

1. The Lakers would best them I think.
2. Then they would probably play the Warriors and lose that game as well.
3. Playing Minnesota in the 1st rd is preferable to OKC and even Denver (I know we beat them twice but that’s definitely not a team I’d want to see if a 7 game series

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Most likely scenario is, DAL loses to OKC, DEN wins vs. MEM. Then, no matter we win or lose vs. MIN, we most likely get to play them in the 1st round, so far we then in the play-in round win vs. either Lakers or Kings.
PS: If we win, then we get 6th seed if Lakers win, or get 7th to likely play Kings if they lose.
PPS: All in all, MIN has an incentive stay at 3rd seed, with a slight chance to play NO there.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winning tomorrow opens more scenarios from what I heard on the radio. If we lose tomorrow we have fewer outcomes. Still on vacation but thanks for the explanations above. That helps.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no one has taken the point that MINN may lay down cuz they want to play the Suns in the 1st round?
It's a good point and I couldn't blame them for wanting us as their first opponent but tanking for matchup advantages rarely seems to work IMO.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It's a good point and I couldn't blame them for wanting us as their first opponent but tanking for matchup advantages rarely seems to work IMO.
Not only that, they're currently in a three way tie for first. (Den/OKC/Minn) There's a lot of combinations of things that could happen. Any one of them could end up third as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This format seems to be needlessly complicated. Who asked for this?

Will Lakers hang a banner if they win the play in game?
I certainly didn't. I despised this whole setup and believed it was destined to fail. But so far, despite the complicated system, it appears to have been great for the league as a whole. Much less tanking and much more interest in the games played as the season runs down.

Superbone

Reaction score
I certainly didn't. I despised this whole setup and believed it was destined to fail. But so far, despite the complicated system, it appears to have been great for the league as a whole. Much less tanking and much more interest in the games played as the season runs down.
I do think it could use some further tweaks. They were talking about it on Inside the NBA the other day. Let's say your currently the 7th seed but you have an 8+ game lead on the 8th seed. Doesn't seem right that you should have to play in the play-in for your playoff life. Same for 8th vs 9/10.

Charles was saying you can't make changes! Well, duh, yeah not this year. But you can learn from different scenarios and make changes for future years. Just like anything else, I think they should adjust it until you have the best possible rules.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think it could use some further tweaks. They were talking about it on Inside the NBA the other day. Let's say your currently the 7th seed but you have an 8+ game lead on the 8th seed. Doesn't seem right that you should have to play in the play-in for your playoff life. Same for 8th vs 9/10.

Charles was saying you can't make changes! Well, duh, yeah not this year. But you can learn from different scenarios and make changes for future years. Just like anything else, I think they should adjust it until you have the best possible rules.
Speaking as a fan, it wouldn't feel fair to me either. But I don't believe the NBA will view it as a problem given that it appears to be accomplishing just what the league wants it to accomplish.

Superbone

Reaction score
Speaking as a fan, it wouldn't feel fair to me either. But I don't believe the NBA will view it as a problem given that it appears to be accomplishing just what the league wants it to accomplish.
Yeah, you're probably right. Even if you happen to be 20 games back, I guess the team you are playing should be expected to beat you. But then again, now it might be single elimination and as we know, anything can happen for one game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's kind of funny about the Lakers being in the play in is that they won the In Season Tournament. They could potentially play in 3 games this season where their stats don't matter at all. The outcome does give them bigger paychecks though.

The IST finals was an added game and of course the 2 play in games a team can participate in are also added games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right. Even if you happen to be 20 games back, I guess the team you are playing should be expected to beat you. But then again, now it might be single elimination and as we know, anything can happen for one game.
Don't get me wrong, I do expect them to tweak this setup and the in-season tournament. I just don't believe they'll be particularly motivated to protect the 7th seed unless they get a lot of negative PR when someone like the Lakers loses from the 7th spot.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Lakers hang a banner if they win the play in game?
They didn't last season and they made it all the way to the Western Conference Championship.

In the East, the Miami Heat (another play-in winner) went all the way to the NBA Finals and lost to Denver.

So, play-in teams can have postseason success.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard