Is the Atkins diet craze just going to make people a lot fatter?!?!

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I find it hilarious (in a sadistic way) that lots of restaurants and fast food places are jumping on the Atkins diet craze. What some people don't seem to understand is that you have to be ketonic before your body won't use carbohydrates as its primary source of energy. To do that you need very little amount of carbs, can't remember how many, maybe 20 grams :confused:

The problem is most people aren't going to be in the ketonic state when they consume all of these majorly fatty new dished and people will weigh more than ever! It can actually be very tough to get yourself in a ketonic state at first you crave carbs like crazy and you have very low energy. I sincerely doubt most people have the willpower to get to the point thye need to be at for the Atkins Diet to be effective. A couple slices of bread, a few pieces of fruit or a handful of chips can put you over the limit. I've even seen restaurants that have Atkins day! :) Like one day on Atkins will help you. I predict people will be fatter than ever in the next five years.....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I get any fatter i will have to be buried in sweat pants

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I have heard about the Adkins diet for years and It never sounded like a good idea to me.
My Dad went on it, they just cooked at home and just watched really close what they ate for the specified time. He lost the weight he wanted. Now he eats less carbs but he just eats healty over all and he has not gained it back.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad is on the Atkins diet and eats mostly meat. Both of my little brothers are vegetarians. This drives my mom nuts at dinner time.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem with atkins diet is that people fail to realize that calories consumed must be less than calories burned in order to lose weight. a tablespoon of bleu cheese dressing has more than 100 calories and people are sucking this stuff down by the pint.

birdie

We like baseboards...
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
the problem with atkins diet is that people fail to realize that calories consumed must be less than calories burned in order to lose weight. a tablespoon of bleu cheese dressing has more than 100 calories and people are sucking this stuff down by the pint.

exactly...a slab of bacon is not better for you than an apple... i promise. (unless your allergic to apples??)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
True….that’s why once you pass the induction stage, you really need to watch your calories as well. I think the South Beach Diet is better for maintenance since it advocates lean meats, low fat cheese and whole grains.

For me, as long as I don’t get the sugar cravings, I’m OK.; but once I get too many carbs in my system, my blood sugar goes out of whack and the dreaded sugar cravings start!

Djaughe

Reaction score
DeAnna said:
..... my blood sugar goes out of whack and the dreaded sugar cravings start!
What do you do to get yer fix?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
No, DJ - that's the point! Avoid sugar and you don't get (more) sugar cravings!

I eat sugar-free chocolate, sugar-free cookies, etc. Those are ok (in moderation). What always throws me off is the cornstarch in chinese food.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I've lost about 60 lbs since January on the Atkins diet, most of it without working out. I do realize that its not a good idea to stay on it forever, so I plan to get to my target weight of about 225, and then just try to eat sensibly. The biggest thing for me is I don't drink Dr. Pepper any more, just Diet Dr. Pepper, after a few weeks you really can't tell much difference.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HookemCards said:
I've lost about 60 lbs since January on the Atkins diet, most of it without working out. I do realize that its not a good idea to stay on it forever, so I plan to get to my target weight of about 225, and then just try to eat sensibly. The biggest thing for me is I don't drink Dr. Pepper any more, just Diet Dr. Pepper, after a few weeks you really can't tell much difference.

dude you should have joined the ASFN Diet Challenge - you would have totally woN!

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22535

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I lost like 25lbs on the subsist on beer and cigarettes diet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson