Is Kyler's contract even tradeable?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It isn't about Kyler playing badly. It is about Kyler not playing great. If the Cardinals wind up with the 4th and 10th picks in the draft, and Kyler plays ok, I think they stick with him. What I don't believe is that Kyler will play well enough to cause Monti and Bidwill to pass on a QB if they end up picking #1. It is similar to Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. The Colts took Luck because they had the #1 pick and Luck was such a highly rated prospect. It was less about Manning not being good anymore or coming back from an injury.

And, just so you have your info right, Kyler would only cost the team trading for him over 40 mil two of the five seasons left on his contract. He actually becomes a bargain for the team trading for him.
As a longtime Colts fan growing up in Indiana that’s actually incorrect. It was 100% because of injury. It was debatable if he as ever going to play again with that neck injury that was causing numbness to his throwing arm.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler can be cut next offseason with a post June 1 designation and life would go on

it actually increases cap space in 2024 by $3.6mm to ~$55mm overall. (letting to Ertz and Conner would free up another $15mm for $70mm overall.) I think you could field a competitive roster with that.

In 2025, it looks like the dead cap hit pushed into that year from making him a post June 1 designation washes with his cap hit, so it doesnt reduce 2025 cap space.

the move isnt ideal (obvs) -- but presumably the move is made because you go with a rookie QB, who would have 5 years of reasonable price - -- you use up two of those years working off Kylers dead cap hits, but then you have 3 seasons of benefit.
:barf:

I think the way it works would be that the Cards would have to eat $46.22 million in accelerated signing bonus money and pay $35 million in guaranteed salary in 2024 PLUS pay and additional $22 million in guaranteed salary and roster bonuses for 2025.

It's possible the situation becomes so toxic that Kyler and the Cards could work out a buyout, but the June 1 designation essentially means that the player can shop his services but the contract still exists on the books until June 1, when the effects can be spread to a later year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think the way it works would be that the Cards would have to eat $46.22 million in accelerated signing bonus money and pay $35 million in guaranteed salary in 2024 PLUS pay and additional $22 million in guaranteed salary and roster bonuses for 2025.
I think the $42.2 hit for 2024 is right. I think the 2025 dead cap hit from his $35mm 2024 guaranteed salary is right.

I think (key word there) by terminating his contract prior to March 22, 2024 -- they avoid the 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and thus hitting their cap

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think the $42.2 hit for 2024 is right. I think the 2025 dead cap hit from his $35mm 2024 guaranteed salary is right.

I think (key word there) by terminating his contract prior to March 22, 2024 -- they avoid the 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and thus hitting their cap
You can't do that and use the June 1 designation. I think.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
You can't do that and use the June 1 designation. I think.
that is the key question

my understanding is that the June 1 designation is simply a cap accounting convention and has no impact on the provisions of the contract. Once you terminate the contract, its terms are terminated.

As an example -- teams cut players all the time to avoid paying roster bonuses due in March (timing put there by the player's agent to ensure that if they get cut, its prior to the start of free agency) -- and designate it a June 1 cut.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Drew Brees wasn’t the Drew Brees we all know until he was a Saint. He was about the level starter Kyler has been when the Chargers drafted his replacement in Philip Rivers in 2004 with Brees still on the roster. I can easily foresee Kyler being on the team, having moderate success this year, and still drafting Williams in 2024. Then Kyler competes for his job in 2024 while Williams learns. Would Kyler be salty? Sure, but $160m guaranteed with 230m on the line if he can keep ahold of his contract kinda deflates that I would think. He’s perfectly trade-able after 2024.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
that is the key question

my understanding is that the June 1 designation is simply a cap accounting convention and has no impact on the provisions of the contract. Once you terminate the contract, its terms are terminated.

As an example -- teams cut players all the time to avoid paying roster bonuses due in March (timing put there by the player's agent to ensure that if they get cut, its prior to the start of free agency) -- and designate it a June 1 cut.
Example?

My understanding is that a June 1 designation means that the terms of the contract are in place until June 1, at which point the effects are as if the player were cut on that date. It's essentially a zombie contract.

The reason the Cards got like $3 million in additional cap relief today was that the 2023 salaries of J.J. Watt and Rodney Hudson just came off the books. Here's a link that explains it.

But I may be wrong. Let me look at this other link for a sec. Actually, you may be right. Someone on twitter should ask Jason.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Drew Brees wasn’t the Drew Brees we all know until he was a Saint. He was about the level starter Kyler has been when the Chargers drafted his replacement in Philip Rivers in 2004 with Brees still on the roster. I can easily foresee Kyler being on the team, having moderate success this year, and still drafting Williams in 2024. Then Kyler competes for his job in 2024 while Williams learns. Would Kyler be salty? Sure, but $160m guaranteed with 230m on the line if he can keep ahold of his contract kinda deflates that I would think. He’s perfectly trade-able after 2024.
I disagree. I could see how good Drew Brees had become even if the Chargers had soured on him. I knew he'd go on to become good. That was probably one of my best calls ever, calling that Brees would be better than Vick--which I did before they were drafted *patsselfonback* :)