Is Kyler the one?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He's really running out of time to show it. I don't expect anything from him next year. That's just the reality of his injury, and I do hope he returns to form. I think he'll put in the rehab work, but ACL tears for most guys take an extra full season to come back from. What concerns me is that by the 2024 season, he'll be in his late 20s. Even if fully healthy, I'd be expecting some decline from a rushing standpoint. i just don't know if he has the height to become the kind of guy who sticks in the pocket and slangs it.

I'd anticipate that at some point in the remainder of his career he wins a playoff game or two, but is never a serious contender for a championship.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's really running out of time to show it. I don't expect anything from him next year. That's just the reality of his injury, and I do hope he returns to form. I think he'll put in the rehab work, but ACL tears for most guys take an extra full season to come back from. What concerns me is that by the 2024 season, he'll be in his late 20s. Even if fully healthy, I'd be expecting some decline from a rushing standpoint. i just don't know if he has the height to become the kind of guy who sticks in the pocket and slangs it.

I'd anticipate that at some point in the remainder of his career he wins a playoff game or two, but is never a serious contender for a championship.
He’s 25 years old. How do you figure that he’ll be in his late 20’s in 2024? When he comes back that knee will be stronger than ever. Stop being so damn negative. Murray is a stud & he‘s our QB for years to come.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He’s 25 years old. How do you figure that he’ll be in his late 20’s in 2024? When he comes back that knee will be stronger than ever. Stop being so damn negative. Murray is a stud & he‘s our QB for years to come.
26 in '23 by the time the season starts. Probably won't even be ready to play by then. In 2024 he'll be 27. That's late 20s. Not saying he's going to be an old man or anything, just don't have a ton of faith that he'll be a guy who is successful at his style of play in his 30s as he loses speed.

So I basically think there's gonna be a roughly three year window to succeed with him.

And he's not a "stud." If you stopped comparing him to our terrible track record at QB and compared him to the rest of the league, you'd see it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
26 in '23 by the time the season starts. Probably won't even be ready to play by then. In 2024 he'll be 27. That's late 20s. Not saying he's going to be an old man or anything, just don't have a ton of faith that he'll be a guy who is successful at his style of play in his 30s as he loses speed.

So I basically think there's gonna be a roughly three year window to succeed with him.

And he's not a "stud." If you stopped comparing him to our terrible track record at QB and compared him to the rest of the league, you'd see it.
Sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree in regards to Murray. You're never going to convince this old guy that 27 is "late 20's" lol. In my book he's a stud. And I would bet you a dollar to a donut that most GM's in the NFL would agree with me. OROY & 2 Pro bowls tells you that Murray has played extremely well. Last year was more on the organization than it was on Murray. Murray has the skills to be a top 5 QB in the league. Does he need to grow up? Absolutely. Exactly why we needed to clean house & bring in a FO & coaching staff to hold him accountable. Murray has been fed as big a $hit sandwich by the people who have been running this organization as our fan base has. Instead of continuing to criticize him, can we please give an opportunity to play with a FO that actually gives him a chance to perform well.

OP
OP
E

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree in regards to Murray. You're never going to convince this old guy that 27 is "late 20's" lol. In my book he's a stud. And I would bet you a dollar to a donut that most GM's in the NFL would agree with me. OROY & 2 Pro bowls tells you that Murray has played extremely well. Last year was more on the organization than it was on Murray. Murray has the skills to be a top 5 QB in the league. Does he need to grow up? Absolutely. Exactly why we needed to clean house & bring in a FO & coaching staff to hold him accountable. Murray has been fed as big a $hit sandwich by the people who have been running this organization as our fan base has. Instead of continuing to criticize him, can we please give an opportunity to play with a FO that actually gives him a chance to perform well.
I’m still not convinced the GM put enough quality players around Tyler for him to succeed. However, I’m not convinced Tyler has leadership skills to lead a team to multiple playoff wins. We’ll know a lot about Tyler with a new GM and coaching staff around him. Next year it will be sink or swim time for Tyler.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m still not convinced the GM put enough quality players around Tyler for him to succeed. However, I’m not convinced Tyler has leadership skills to lead a team to multiple playoff wins. We’ll know a lot about Tyler with a new GM and coaching staff around him. Next year it will be sink or swim time for Tyler.
Who is Tyler??? Thank God we have a GM who knows his QB’s name is making the decisions.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be fair, what's he going to say? Kyler has no skills and is dumb? I'm glad he's getting a new chance. Let's see what he does with it.
To be fair, if he thought of Murray the way that the negative Nancy’s on this board do, then there’s a good chance he wouldn’t have taken the job. But he did see Murray have a hand or leg in 5 touchdowns in the 2021 opener & KNOWS that Murray is as talented as any QB in the NFL. The thought of what Murray could be like if the previous regime did their job & surrounded him with talent & protection was too much for him to say no to.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be fair, if he thought of Murray the way that the negative Nancy’s on this board do, then there’s a good chance he wouldn’t have taken the job. But he did see Murray have a hand or leg in 5 touchdowns in the 2021 opener & KNOWS that Murray is as talented as any QB in the NFL. The thought of what Murray could be like if the previous regime did their job & surrounded him with talent & protection was too much for him to say no to.

There were only 2 GM jobs open and either he didn't want to wait on an answer for TEN or didn't like what he saw for the future of the Titans or just wanted a change of scenery. Either way, he took the promotion and sometimes you take it regardless.

I think he was given the keys past Kyler (assuming he doesn't royally mess it up) so he could build the team his way since he inherited this mess (Mike looking long term). Yes, he might still like Kyler and of course has to publicly support him, but I am sure he didn't take this because of Kyler. He's young and has a possible long future here which could easily surpass Kyler being in the picture.

Kyler has shown flashes in 4 years. Any young great/elite QB has shown as much or more in the same amount of time. He's still behind his peers. Yes Keim, Mike, and Kliff, but that only goes so far. We can excuse his first year, maybe even his second. But his third? Fourth? Can he ever stay healthy even if he happened to become Mahomes?

He had 1 good year in college prior (forget high school) not much track record to go off of. His physical talent only goes so far, and it hasn't been enough. Questionable he can take it to the next level, but not impossible I don't think.

Because of that the team shouldn't "build around him" and not depend on him playing hero, because he's not, not for an entire season and playoff run anyway. Build solid defense and safe play/RB scheme and then he can go super hero mode in small doses. Basically the 49er way but with style.

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Who is Tyler??? Thank God we have a GM who knows his QB’s name is making the decisions.
Tyler .... ha ha. His name is Kyler Murphy. No that is not it. Ugh, Taylor Murray. Janet Gaynor. Kiner Turnip. Bernie Kravitz. I give up! No, no, wait. I got it. 3M = Mighty Mouse Murray

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
anything after 25 is late twenties. just like anything before is early twenties...if you wanted to stretch, and include MID... 24,25,26 is MID twenties...so 27 is still late twenties.
its just math.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Last year was more on the organization? Dude couldn't even throw a deep ball to save his life. Stop the freaking propaganda. You lurve Kyler and he can do no wrong, but he did a lot of wrong last year all on his own. The organization was a dumpster fire around him, true, but Kyler brought his own pack of matches to the season.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Last year was more on the organization? Dude couldn't even throw a deep ball to save his life. Stop the freaking propaganda. You lurve Kyler and he can do no wrong, but he did a lot of wrong last year all on his own. The organization was a dumpster fire around him, true, but Kyler brought his own pack of matches to the season.

Agreed.

I didn't want us to draft Kyler.
Then I got on board with it...supported K1.
I think Kyler has shown flashes of greatness (early 2021).

Kyler in 2022 was putrid...he regressed for sure.

If he gets the right HC and a running game - I think he could go back to being a real weapon.
He is certainly not worth what we are paying him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Agreed.

I didn't want us to draft Kyler.
Then I got on board with it...supported K1.
I think Kyler has shown flashes of greatness (early 2021).

Kyler in 2022 was putrid...he regressed for sure.

If he gets the right HC and a running game - I think he could go back to being a real weapon.
He is certainly not worth what we are paying him.
Pretty much agreed on all accounts. The right HC includes getting him to buy in with his attitude, which I'm sure you meant. I was going insane supporting KM early last season--I was over the top in my praise. I just react to what's in front of me. When he's been good, he's been fire. When he's been bad, he's been putrid. Plus he's been hurt way too much.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The entire paradigm needs to change. Kingsbury’s group started from the idiotic premise that the O-line wasn’t critical as Murray could just elude the rushers. The same logic was applied to keeping in a back to slow rushers. The Cards need to try a solid protection scheme that gives Murray a reasonable amount of time to throw. He has a good arm if given the opportunity to use it.

They also need to occasionally put him under center or roll him out, just to give the defense something to think about. The failure to bring in a speed back after they lost Edmunds again removed a threat that rushers had to account for. I think that deficiency had far more negative impact than fans thought. In general they need a whole new approach to maximizing Murray’s skills. That’s why the HC & OC are so importance to next years team.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire paradigm needs to change. Kingsbury’s group started from the idiotic premise that the O-line wasn’t critical as Murray could just elude the rushers. The same logic was applied to keeping in a back to slow rushers. The Cards need to try a solid protection scheme that gives Murray a reasonable amount of time to throw. He has a good arm if given the opportunity to use it.

They also need to occasionally put him under center or roll him out, just to give the defense something to think about. The failure to bring in a speed back after they lost Edmunds again removed a threat that rushers had to account for. I think that deficiency had far more negative impact than fans thought. In general they need a whole new approach to maximizing Murray’s skills. That’s why the HC & OC are so importance to next years team.
Totally agree that the new HC has to put more options in the offense

Why KK never ran roll out with the TE and WR running out patterns is beyond me

KK needs to be under center to run play action which I'm a big believer in