Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Murray's play as of late - in the under center play action format is almost reminding me of Russell Wilson who always seemed to have a probowl type RB to make it all work - his legs were probably still his most powerful weapon but he was far from one dimensional

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Barring a significant injury, no matter how we play the next 4 games, Kyler Murray is our QB1 next year. It’s fine to post whatever the hell people want to post, but you can take that to the bank.
Unfortunately, yes. After today, I'm sure we'll be right where we are now at this time next year.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
I probably have the shallowest football-mind on the board but I'm glad KM isn't my decision. I just, 100%, don't know what to think. I believe there are too many variables to give an objective evaluation. He seems all over the place. One week one thing is better, something else has regressed. Next week, the same but different. Gun to my head, I cut my losses I guess, and move on - because of time if nothing else. He may shine somewhere else, but it's going to take years for us to be someone else...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I probably have the shallowest football-mind on the board but I'm glad KM isn't my decision. I just, 100%, don't know what to think. I believe there are too many variables to give an objective evaluation. He seems all over the place. One week one thing is better, something else has regressed. Next week, the same but different. Gun to my head, I cut my losses I guess, and move on - because of time if nothing else. He may shine somewhere else, but it's going to take years for us to be someone else...
It’s real Mike Vick vibes with him. How do you harness his talents into an NFL system? They may just not be compatible.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Kyler is not Mahomes, Burrow, Rodgers, Lamar, J
Allen, Wilson or Dak.

There is your answer?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep Kyler, build the team up some more then cut your losses with Kyler if he plays mediocre AFTER you build the team up.

I used to think “Get the QB at ALL costs” but nah, even if you draft Caleb/Drake/Jayden & they hit, there’s still only so much “elevating” they can do. They might turn a bad team into a competent team, but now you’re not in position to get a really good draft pick nor you’re not a serious playoff contender. Just look at the Chargers with Herbert for example. If Burrow doesn’t get his ACL torn, the Bengals don’t draft Ja’Marr(nor continue to build) & they most likely end up similar to the Chargers. I fear Stroud & Houston could end up similarity as well.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As long as McVay, Shanahan and Carrol are here, Cardinals will be their floor mats without a Mahomes or Burrow.

Is Kyler that level?

Ps: I also understand it is near impossible to find and develop QBs like that unless you have great coaches and system. This franchise is cursed.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep Kyler, build the team up some more then cut your losses with Kyler if he plays mediocre AFTER you build the team up.

I used to think “Get the QB at ALL costs” but nah, even if you draft Caleb/Drake/Jayden & they hit, there’s still only so much “elevating” they can do. They might turn a bad team into a competent team, but now you’re not in position to get a really good draft pick nor you’re not a serious playoff contender. Just look at the Chargers with Herbert for example. If Burrow doesn’t get his ACL torn, the Bengals don’t draft Ja’Marr(nor continue to build) & they most likely end up similar to the Chargers. I fear Stroud & Houston could end up similarity as well.
I don’t see any other way to go at this. A rookie would get chewed up and spit out with the talent on this offense.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes this 100%. I don't think it is even a hard decision anymore. If you look at the TEAM we have gone 2-3 since Kyler has returned. Today we scored 29 points, almost double the season average of points allowed by the Niners. Number 1 defense in total and points allowed. It hasn't been perfect by a long shot. But we are more competitive and Kyler appears to be working his ass off. If he wasn't and had a crap attitude? Then yeah, hit the bricks.

It would be malpractice to put any of these rookies out there next year. After next year? IDK. But we should have a much better WR room for them to work with. If QB has become then clear weak link of the team. Right now? There is no way QB is the biggest problem. Not from where I sit.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The trick is that if you build a good supporting cast it’s hard to be so bad you can get a top QB prospect.

Then you’re either trading up or hoping the guy who drafted Malik Willis and Clayton Tune can find a gem.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The trick is that if you build a good supporting cast it’s hard to be so bad you can get a top QB prospect.
It seems to be less & less hard because you look at the Eagles/9ers/Chiefs/Ravens, teams that were at least decent/good before their QBs arrival.

Hell, look at the Jags, clearly flawed team that’s just decent enough to be competent but also clearly not real contenders.

It’s almost at a point you want to sit/barely play the QB prospect & continue to build, but that’s damn sure not happening in 2023.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It seems to be less & less hard because you look at the Eagles/9ers/Chiefs/Ravens, teams that were at least decent/good before their QBs arrival.

Hell, look at the Jags, clearly flawed team that’s just decent enough to be competent but also clearly not real contenders.

It’s almost at a point you want to sit/barely play the QB prospect & continue to build, but that’s damn sure not happening in 2023.
Look at the Falcons tho. Put all the tools around a lowly drafted QB who just lost to the Panthers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Falcons are a bad example but their defense has been mediocre/trash for years. Not to mention the Falcons have drafted at the wrong spots with those premium picks.
Falcons D is 12th in scoring. Not their fault Ridder only scored seven points.

Your recipe is for purgatory. If the Cards weren’t building the talent and cultural infrastructure to support a highly drafted QB this year, what was the point supposed to be?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Falcons are a bad example but their defense has been mediocre/trash for years. Not to mention the Falcons have drafted at the wrong spots with those premium picks.
Falcons should've have been trading the farm for a QB this year. It's hilarious watching Allgeier having games where he gets more carries than Robinson.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Yes this 100%. I don't think it is even a hard decision anymore. If you look at the TEAM we have gone 2-3 since Kyler has returned. Today we scored 29 points, almost double the season average of points allowed by the Niners. Number 1 defense in total and points allowed. It hasn't been perfect by a long shot. But we are more competitive and Kyler appears to be working his ass off. If he wasn't and had a crap attitude? Then yeah, hit the bricks.

It would be malpractice to put any of these rookies out there next year. After next year? IDK. But we should have a much better WR room for them to work with. If QB has become then clear weak link of the team. Right now? There is no way QB is the biggest problem. Not from where I sit.
I totally agree! Solid take!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your recipe is for purgatory. If the Cards weren’t building the talent and cultural infrastructure to support a highly drafted QB this year, what was the point supposed to be?

To draft an All Time WR again! Then maybe we can fluke our way into one great postseason run over the course of the next decade!

TK421

Veteran
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, if a desperate team like Atl or Minny were willing to take on Murray's contract it would be tempting to pull the trigger since we'd have a high enough draft pick to take one of the top qb prospects. But that's highly unlikely and there's also no guarantee a newly drafted qb will become elite (especially with our current roster) so I wouldn't mind rolling with Murray and building around him. There's so many other needs right now that we could fill with our top picks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if we can sucker Minnesota, Atlanta or the Raiders into a Kyler trade for a 2nd or better, we take the deal and take our chances with a new QB in the draft.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think if we can sucker Minnesota, Atlanta or the Raiders into a Kyler trade for a 2nd or better, we take the deal and take our chances with a new QB in the draft.

With who though? Drake Rosen? I’d probably feel better drafting the toothpick that @SoonerLou is always hyping.

Kyler is best option because there’s not another option that beats the slightly above-average option we have now. Kyler gets one year with MHJ and a likely elite TE. And if he’s not a true star QB by then? Arrivederci!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shoutout to to the two matchups of Carolina & the Tim Boyle-led Jets
No, your specific recipe is for purgatory. They still have to continue to add talent. It’s not a 1 year thing.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With who though? Drake Rosen? I’d probably feel better drafting the toothpick that @SoonerLou is always hyping.

Kyler is best option because there’s not another option that beats the slightly above-average option we have now. Kyler gets one year with MHJ and a likely elite TE. And if he’s not a true star QB by then? Arrivederci!

You make points I can’t quibble or argue with. But man… I just don’t think that kid has it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like Drake way more than you, but yea, exactly this. Continue to build up with Kyler on the roster. If he’s not where he needs to be with a surplus of talent then yea move him.

Drake to only McBride/Wilson could be a cute thing in the regular season, but that won’t get it done in the playoffs.

Cards Crazy

Veteran
Reaction score
My question us Simple Pkease dont Flame me to hard Ok Kyler has been Here for what like 4 or 5 years now Ok but how many 300 yard passing Games has He Had Personally I dont remember Seeing Any also the Truely Great Qb's ie Staubach Brady Bradshaw Marino etc tended to elevate the players around them Something Ive yet to See from Kyler except maybe 1 Year when They went to the playoffs No Ime not counting that disasterous game

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard