Is a 6.6 WAR worthy of the N.L. MVP?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In another year probably but Cody Bellinger is a much better offensive player and went from a liability in the OF to a plus defender this year. He’s already won it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In another year probably but Cody Bellinger is a much better offensive player and went from a liability in the OF to a plus defender this year. He’s already won it.

"Much better offensive player?" I wouldn't got that far... Bellinger has had a monster season and his WAR is certainly worthy of a MVP. But, Marte has more hits, higher batting average, more doubles, more triples and less strikeouts. I think if Marte were batting 3rd, 4th or 5th more often, he'd probably have as many RBI's as Bellinger as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
"Much better offensive player?" I wouldn't got that far... Bellinger has had a monster season and his WAR is certainly worthy of a MVP. But, Marte has more hits, higher batting average, more doubles, more triples and less strikeouts. I think if Marte were batting 3rd, 4th or 5th more often, he'd probably have as many RBI's as Bellinger as well.

Marte has more doubles and triples yet less total extra base hits so I’m not sure why that’s relevant. Also yes, Marte has 15 less strikeouts but also 38 less walks so Bellinger is reaching base more and hitting for more power. But I take back saying it’s “much better” because Marte is having an insane year. Bellinger and Yelich are just more insane right now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Marte has more doubles and triples yet less total extra base hits so I’m not sure why that’s relevant. Also yes, Marte has 15 less strikeouts but also 38 less walks so Bellinger is reaching base more and hitting for more power. But I take back saying it’s “much better” because Marte is having an insane year. Bellinger and Yelich are just more insane right now.

My point - which you now validated, is that the delta between Bellinger and Marte, offensively, really shouldn't be characterized as "much better." And I know we're only talking offense here, but, the way Marte has also played 2 crucial positions (CF and 2B), furthers the overall value he brings. Bellinger is no defensive slouch either - but, with the rare exception of him filling in at first base, he is mainly a one trick pony in RF...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson