Interesting Quarterback Discussion

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Geez maybe this Arizona's Finest guy knows what he is talking about....:shrug:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Also I agree that there is Russell Wilson Intangibles.....huge gap...... Everyone e else. No one else comes close. Luck is best combo of both though IMO

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yes he has leadership and yadda yadda (which is like a better form of moxie LOL) and all this intangible stuff is interesting to talk about but it comes down to this and Wilson did this at a very high level (even more so than Luck or RGIII), he is accurate.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Good article, rd, thanks, pal.

What I think helped Russell Wilson more than people realize was all the buzz the Seahawks made about drafting him and then giving him the opportunity to win the job right from the get-go. One month after signing Matt Flynn, no less.

Then once the decision was made there was no second guessing or looking back. Even when Wilson struggled a little in the first half of the season, the coaches stayed with him and continued to laud his ability and his approach.

I give a ton of credit to Wilson for how he talked up his ability and self-confidence before, during and after the draft, and then matched the talk with the walk once he knew where he was going.

MWOOD92

All Star
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that people are still trying to debate this :shrug:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Good read! Thanks for posting. It will be interesting to see where Matt Barkley ends up. I've heard a lot of commentators say he fits well in a WCO. I guess we'll see.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Sounds like Bickley talking about Barkley. Barkley in the last few weeks has mentioned in connection with AZ numerous times. Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. Do you take Barkley or ? for a QB.

It's such a great question, John.

BA said at the combine that if the first pick is a QB the QB would be the starter from day one. BA said that a QB doesn't get any better by standing on the sidelines---the only way to get better is to get the first team reps in practice and the game reps.

If BA drafts Matt Barkley or Geno Smith or Mike Glennon or Tyler Wilson or Ryan Nassib or E.J. Manuel in the first round (either at #7 or in a late round trade up deal), he's drafting him to be the starter.

If BA thinks his starter is one of these QBs, he will, imo, use the #7 pick or use the #7 pick to trade up. He will do whatever it takes to draft the starting QB, if that's what his plan is.

Now, do we think any of these guys can step right in and be the starter from day one?

I don't see it.

Here's what I see:

Geno Smith---sits on his back foot and looks very antsy in the pocket. Does have a very good arm and good touch. Won't get away with trowing off his back foot in the NFL the way he got away with it in college.

Matt Barkley---streaky QB who can be lights-out when he's on and in rhythm. But, lacks the kind of arm strength that would enable him to threaten all areas of the field. Would be best suited for the Patriots' offense, but not for BA's.

Mike Glennon---has the big arm and the pocket patience, but is inconsistent, is late on a lot of throws and doesn't play as urgently as one would want. Seems laid back---not sure how he will be received in NFL huddles.

Tyler Wilson---plays with his heart on his sleeve, a fiery competitor who needs to refine his footwork in the pocket and build better overall strength in his arm, especially for throwing the ball deep. The grittiest QB of the group. Give him Glennon's arm and he'd be the #1 pick.

Ryan Nassib---most coachable and physically tough of the group and will do all he can to execute a game plan. Smart, diligent and cool under pressure. But, he doesn't drive the ball downfield the way you want, at least not yet. lacks that quick release you want as well. He's a little too deliberate at times. But the intangibles (leadership, competitiveness, grit, smarts) are all there.

E.J. Manuel---the most physically gifted athlete of the group, but every time I watched him in a big game, he buckled under pressure and forced bad mistakes. It doesn't surprise me that he had such a good game at the Senior Bowl and such a good showing at the combine. He could be relaxed and let his athleticism take over. If he ever learns to play like that in big games, he could be a star.

The most telling thing about these QBs to me is that you just know that Andy Reid and his staff combed through every tape and resource to evaluate these QBs and they could not find one deserving of their first round pick.

You just know they wanted nothing more than to draft a QB at #1 because Reid showed he could prep and play a rookie last year with 3rd rounder Nick Foles---and why give up two 2nd round picks if you don't have to? Plus, even the first pick of the draft would be far less of a hit on the cap than the $8.5M Alex Smith is scheduled to earn this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard