Interesting college football live discussion on Jake Locker

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting concerned they keep agreeing with me. Not sure who the guys debating were I never watch that show but they were commenting on how while everyone keeps saying Jake Locker is the best QB coming back and the likely #1 overall pick there are a lot of NFL people who think Stanford's Andrew Luck is better.

I'm one of those people and the comment was people like Lockers athletic ability, his toughness, his playmaking, but from a "pure QB" standpoint Luck is the better player and athletic enough himself . One guy said he remembers during Luck's redshirt year talking to Harbaugh and he couldn't stop talking about Luck, said the kid would start 10-12 years in the NFL. He's got the perfect size. He'll be interesting to watch he's only played one year and his stats were not all that amazing, 2600 yards 13 TD 4 picks 350 yards rushing. Of course Stanford was a running team last year and as a redshirt freshman they were bringing Luck along slowly. The problem is he's now a redshirt soph and technically is draft eligible after this season. Guys typically don't leave Stanford early but my understanding is Luck is on an accelerated academic schedule so he can graduate early so it would appear he's planning to at least consider leaving.

I found one mock for next year projection Locker #1 overall(to us ironically) and Luck 5th.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm getting concerned they keep agreeing with me. Not sure who the guys debating were I never watch that show but they were commenting on how while everyone keeps saying Jake Locker is the best QB coming back and the likely #1 overall pick there are a lot of NFL people who think Stanford's Andrew Luck is better.

I'm one of those people and the comment was people like Lockers athletic ability, his toughness, his playmaking, but from a "pure QB" standpoint Luck is the better player and athletic enough himself . One guy said he remembers during Luck's redshirt year talking to Harbaugh and he couldn't stop talking about Luck, said the kid would start 10-12 years in the NFL. He's got the perfect size. He'll be interesting to watch he's only played one year and his stats were not all that amazing, 2600 yards 13 TD 4 picks 350 yards rushing. Of course Stanford was a running team last year and as a redshirt freshman they were bringing Luck along slowly. The problem is he's now a redshirt soph and technically is draft eligible after this season. Guys typically don't leave Stanford early but my understanding is Luck is on an accelerated academic schedule so he can graduate early so it would appear he's planning to at least consider leaving.

I found one mock for next year projection Locker #1 overall(to us ironically) and Luck 5th.

They get all the press because of where they play but I'd take this guy easily over those two.

He played all last year with a severe high ankle sprain, granted he plays in the spread offense but Jason Whitlock who played with Jeff George says this guys arm is better and well so is his head.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gabbert_blaine00.html

He's a junior this year, most feel if he plays up to his potential that's going to be it.

Dosen't matter to me what he's done, watch him throw a deep rope, then realize he's 6' 5 with decent mobility, the only reason he'll never be the top pick of the draft is where he plays and that he plays in the spread, but that's IMO wrong thinking in terms of what kind of pro he'll make.

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
To me the top two QBs, as of right now, for next year are Andrew Luck and Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, with Jake Locker trailing just behind. Next year is going to be a fantastic year for QBs.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I agree that from a prototypical standpoint, Luck has better tools than Locker. The question is whether Luck decides to actually leave as a redshirt sophomore. That's pretty risky business.

2011 looks to be a real strong class early on, but then again half of the kids could not declare and/or have bad years and we're back to a lackluster group by February.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that from a prototypical standpoint, Luck has better tools than Locker. The question is whether Luck decides to actually leave as a redshirt sophomore. That's pretty risky business.

2011 looks to be a real strong class early on, but then again half of the kids could not declare and/or have bad years and we're back to a lackluster group by February.

I actually hope he stays, unless we have a high pick and Matt failed(which would be why we had a high pick).

Luck is really fun to watch at Stanford and he's just scratching the surface. With the style of offense they run they had him throw the ball downfield more than normal, 8 in the box to stop Gerhart, go downfield, so his completion % was not great(57%) but he had some really impressive big plays. they don't have a lot of WR talent either but it was fun to watch him grow as the season went on.

He's got everything he's 6'4" 235 has a good arm(not a rocket but very good) and he's the son of a QB(Oliver Luck) and apparently he's extremely intelligent(graduating early from Stanford isn't easy).

Locker is intriguing to me because he improved so much last year you wonder did he just finally get good coaching?

Mallet has a rocket arm not sure about the rest of his game.

It was another reason I expected Clausen and McCoy to go later this year, teams who really want a QBOF had to be thinking there are much better prospects still in college who may come out next year?

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
If the Cardinals were looking forward to a QBOF, I definitely would rather pick from the 2011 class than this one.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
our 1st rounder next year is going to be from LSU, either CB Patrick Peterson or ILB Kelvin Shepherd. But DE Arian Clayborne from Iowa is my early choice for hyping up.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
9 Gators drafted.Not aware of their FA status but watch how they reload.
A better QB in Brantley who can throw the ball accurately.

More SEC players drafted over the next conference BY A MILE.I think it was at least 12 players if not more than the second best Conference.

I'm not a Gator fan either.Just a college player talent fan.I just so happen to live in Florida.FSU should bounce back next year with Jimbo Fisher.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
our 1st rounder next year is going to be from LSU, either CB Patrick Peterson or ILB Kelvin Shepherd. But DE Arian Clayborne from Iowa is my early choice for hyping up.

Keep an eye on Aaron Williams, DB from UT. The kid is special. More talent than any UT corner I can remember, and we've put out some good ones. I've heard Peterson is a beast, but haven't seen him play, I'll try to pick up an LSU game or two this next year.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
They get all the press because of where they play but I'd take this guy easily over those two.

He played all last year with a severe high ankle sprain, granted he plays in the spread offense but Jason Whitlock who played with Jeff George says this guys arm is better and well so is his head.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gabbert_blaine00.html

He's a junior this year, most feel if he plays up to his potential that's going to be it.

Dosen't matter to me what he's done, watch him throw a deep rope, then realize he's 6' 5 with decent mobility, the only reason he'll never be the top pick of the draft is where he plays and that he plays in the spread, but that's IMO wrong thinking in terms of what kind of pro he'll make.

Yeah, I personally like Gabbert and Luck more than Locker and Mallet.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gabbert will be a top 15 pick either next year or his senior year. The guy has "it". It's just too bad that Suh tackled him from behind and suffered that high ankle sprain for most of the season.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Gabbert will be a top 15 pick either next year or his senior year. The guy has "it". It's just too bad that Suh tackled him from behind and suffered that high ankle sprain for most of the season.

I gained a lot of respect for him, he sucked it up all year basically playing on one foot.

Having just finished watching Chase play, most people felt dissapointed in him and I did too, until you realize his numbers weren't that bad, although he put up a ton of them against lesser teams, but when they got to the bigger conference games he was hurt.

His first game against Illinois was the most representative of what he can do, he threw two beautiful NFL TD passes in that game, his first game.

Being hurt by Suh isn't going to be a rare event for QB's I don't think :D

I'd wait to do any mock until the next college football season is done, unless I'm completely wrong, and that's entirely possible I bet the order of QB's get's redone.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn