Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son got to see a sneak peak of it last night before it was released to the public. I am at work or I would ask him about it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son got to see a sneak peak of it last night before it was released to the public. I am at work or I would ask him about it.
My writing partner got a sneak of it at VidCon last week. Thought it was pretty fun.

Then again, he thought You People was really funny when he went to the premiere of that.

Feel like special event screenings can sometimes skew towards an overly positive viewing experience.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My writing partner got a sneak of it at VidCon last week. Thought it was pretty fun.

Then again, he thought You People was really funny when he went to the premiere of that.

Feel like special event screenings can sometimes skew towards an overly positive viewing experience.
Well I just got home and he was leaving for work so all I got was "it was a tad slower paced then the previous ones but was very much an Indiana Jones movie and fun".

That's it. LOL.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I just got home and he was leaving for work so all I got was "it was a tad slower paced then the previous ones but was very much an Indiana Jones movie and fun".

That's it. LOL.
That’s all I can ask for.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Much much better than the previous movie, a lot of great action set pieces and a good score by the legend John Williams.

And the best de-aging I’ve ever seen.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The audience score. Obvious review bombing. Yours is the only positive review I've heard all day.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The audience score. Obvious review bombing. Yours is the only positive review I've heard all day.
Well, mine's the 2nd, so...

But you've already made up your mind on it so I'm curious why you're hanging around this thread in the first place.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I not allowed to?
Sure you’re allowed to. But seems pretty silly to make up your mind about something your mind hasn’t seen.

I mean… that’s the literal definition of close minded.

Not the way I’d want to live through life, but different strokes for different folks.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll answer your question.

This film is garbage. It is a purposeful, deliberate attempt to destroy a beloved IP and a vengeful attack on those who love it. It is going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars and I will relish in it all. I'm here to celebrate that.

I'm only negative to that which deserves it. This film will be a disaster and my opinion will be the majority one.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure you’re allowed to. But seems pretty silly to make up your mind about something your mind hasn’t seen.

I mean… that’s the literal definition of close minded.

Not the way I’d want to live through life, but different strokes for different folks.

I don't have to see something to know it sucks.

I don't have to walk on the surface of the sun to know it's hot. I take in loads of data and collate it and then offer an opinion based on it all. That it doesn't comport to your viewpoint doesn't mean it's not valid or even wrong.

I'm sure you don't believe I've done the research or looked at various viewpoints. I'm quite certain I've done more of that about this movie than you have.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So the first 20ish minutes were fun. I would say this felt like an Indy movie for a bit.

CGI was not bad to ok.

Old Indy was a total downer. I just don't see Indy turning in to the miser this movie represented him to be. Weak, meek, depressed, and lonely. Not the Indy I want.

Tangiers was tiring. Only so many times a person can duck their head in a chase scene IMO. Some chases go on too long and some seem odd.

Not sure I understood the third act and the resolution. I think the editing meant to fix it made it a bit odd to finish.

Better than 4 but utterly unmemorable. IMO there are still only 3 Indy movies.

p.s. I love Mickelson. He's good here but wanted more.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I don't have to walk on the surface of the sun to know it's hot. I take in loads of data and collate it and then offer an opinion based on it all. That it doesn't comport to your viewpoint doesn't mean it's not valid or even wrong.

I'm sure you don't believe I've done the research or looked at various viewpoints. I'm quite certain I've done more of that about this movie than you have.
The arrogance is off the charts!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That might be the dumbest comparison. I have seen movies that I thought were going to be good and they sucked. I have seen movies that are thought would suck that were good. Same situation with comedies. Every movie goer can say the same. How often does that happen with the surface of the Sun? LOL. Your comparison is piss poor. So, judging something you have not seen makes you look bitter, a hater or both.

So far out of the 8 people I know who have seen it, only 1 thought it was average and the rest liked it. So, it would appear the feedback I am getting matches the audience score while yours appears anecdotal for now. Especially, now that RT audience scores are based off Reviewers who have verified ticket purchases. It's not like it used to be so any kind of "bombing" doesn't last and washes out pretty quickly. It's only been out for a day.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might be the dumbest comparison. I have seen movies that I thought were going to be good and they sucked. I have seen movies that are thought would suck that were good. Same situation with comedies. Every movie goer can say the same. How often does that happen with the surface of the Sun? LOL. Your comparison is piss poor. So, judging something you have not seen makes you look bitter, a hater or both.

So far out of the 8 people I know who have seen it, only 1 thought it was average and the rest liked it. So, it would appear the feedback I am getting matches the audience score while yours appears anecdotal for now. Especially, now that RT audience scores are based off Reviewers who have verified ticket purchases. It's not like it used to be so any kind of "bombing" doesn't last and washes out pretty quickly. It's only been out for a day.
It’s pretty fun. Old Man Indy is really good. Mads as villain is effectively bad, but Boyd and the Big Guy were kinda wasted characters. Phoebe Waller Bridge could read the phone book and I’d watch so I’m biased, but I thought she was fun. John Williams score is great.

Biggest issues… sidekicks with sidekicks. The 3rd act is ludicrous. LUDICROUS. And kinda looks like crap as it becomes a CGI fest that feels like it was a new ending where the FX had to be rushed… which I wouldn’t dispute. I just see how it easily could have been different, yet nothing like the even more ludicrous ending the 4Chans of the internet direly predicted. But the movie had built up enough goodwill to that point, that I just went with it and it at least leads to a really nice emotional resolution within the big set-piece setting up an even better epilogue. And the action is fine. Some set pieces are fun. Some are meh. But none have that little magic Spielberg could always find that made you feel like you were kinda rising out of your seat.

All told, MILES ahead of Crystal Skull. Nowhere even close to the OT. But fun.

That said, my buddy who went with me thought it was bad. Better than Crystal Skull, but bad.

That also said, this movie will definitely bomb. it’s merely good enough (at best), & it cost wayyyyyy too much money. Indiana Jones just doesn’t have the same pull as Star Wars with young kids who would have needed to join older crowds to make this a blockbuster.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll answer your question.

This film is garbage. It is a purposeful, deliberate attempt to destroy a beloved IP and a vengeful attack on those who love it. It is going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars and I will relish in it all. I'm here to celebrate that.

I'm only negative to that which deserves it. This film will be a disaster and my opinion will be the majority one.
LOL. Having seen the movie, I can safely say this is one of the silliest comments I’ve ever seen.

In your infinite lack of literal wisdom about a movie you admittedly haven’t seen, please tell me how the movie is…
“a purposeful, deliberate attempt to destroy a beloved IP and a vengeful attack on those who love it.”

This should be good…

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about recasting, it's about erasing Indy from the time line as if he didn't exist which is what the movie does or at least did before the reshooting. There's a time travel element (gross and over played trope) that results in Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character recreating all of his accomplishments. It's not simply bringing in a new actor to continue the roll like with Bond or Doctor Who.
Having see the movie, and knowing how movies are made, written, rewritten, and reshot, the rumor y’all are clinging to for some reason is beyond laughable. I don’t doubt there were major 3rd Act changes, but The idea that they needed to reshoot the entire 3rd act because it was all about erasing Indy from the timeline and fixing all the mistakes of his life is quite frankly, unhinged. And here’s why… that ending wouldn’t have just started in Act 3. They would have needed to start laying pipe for that whopper of an ending from the beginning of the movie. Which means that the movie wouldn’t have just needed a new 3rd act. That would have necessitated a PAGE ONE rewrite. Like… EVERYTHING in Act 1 and 2 would have had to not just be rewritten but also reshot to set up something as ludicrous as that rumor some of y’all desperately want to be real for some beyond bizarre/troubling reason.

I mean… the erase Indy from the timeline theory reshoots theory means they would have had to basically prep, shoot and post THE ENTIRE MOVIE… TWICE. Just from a timeframe standpoint, that would have been impossible. Rumors of terrible test screenings came out in November 2022. John Williams was quoted about them possibly shooting a new ending on December 14th, 2022. Again, if they were scrapping the rumored ending, that would necessitate pretty much scrapping the whole movie before it which would have had to set up that rumored ludicrous ending. Which means that in order to buy your own theory, you’d also have to buy that after the terrible test screenings, they rewrote, reshot, re-edited and re-did all the FX work, for what would have had to be the majority of the entire movie in… 7 months. I’d ask you to think about how unrealistic just that timeframe would be, but since you haven’t actually seen any of the movie, it’s literally impossible for you to even consider it.

Other reality is if that rumor that is stoking so much unfounded anger was true, there would have been MASSIVE remnants of that storyline all over the rest of the movie. And there are zilch. Nada. Nunca.

That said, I can easily see how the third act could have been completely different as far what happened/action sequences and resolution. But having seen the movie, it’s beyond lunacy to believe it would have been anything like the ending y’all have been in really troubling hysterics about.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Cheese and I agree about the third act. Only difference is the fun of the first two kept him in it, and I didn't have as much fun. I felt it was a bit tiring and therefore it lost me.

After sleeping on it, nothing changed. Better than 4, but still not a great movie and definitely not something I'll remember much of or ever choose to watch again.

This movie is probably going to be an epic bomb.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it kinda bombs regardless. Indy ain’t Star Wars. Younger generation doesn’t give much of a frack about this franchise and the last one left such a terrible taste in people’s mouths that I think even lukewarm word of mouth kills this one quick, especially with the gauntlet of Mission, Barbie and Oppenheimer about to obliterate everything in its path.
Yup, even as non-movie watchers (much to my chagrin) my boys knew Star Wars. They knew the characters. Bought the toys. Watched parts of the movies. They couldn’t sit through 20 minutes of Raiders (which saddened me). I would say 1 in 5 of their friends have seen it, much less enjoyed it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, even as non-movie watchers (much to my chagrin) my boys knew Star Wars. They knew the characters. Bought the toys. Watched parts of the movies. They couldn’t sit through 20 minutes of Raiders (which saddened me). I would say 1 in 5 of their friends have seen it, much less enjoyed it.
Rest assured, Dad and Mom will have fun with this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison