Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, no, the counter argument is I can't KNOW those movies are bad because I haven't seen them. That has been the literal argument for some time. And it is a dumb argument. Dial of Destiny? The jury is out, although I have serious doubts. The idea you can't know a movie sucks without having seen it is just dumb.
I’d argue the opposite, to be so arrogant so as to believe you KNOW something about a topic about which you have ZERO firsthand knowledge is just dumb.

That restaurant’s food is terrible.

Oh, you’ve eaten there?

No, I haven’t.

STUPID.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as both sets of friends who watched it, but was a fun trip to the theater.

Could have been better, could have been worse.

Most of the commentary fears, etc are completely baseless. It also doesn't set out to destroy the IP, if anything in paying homage they maybe lean on the old tricks a bit much.

Kids liked it well enough.

Overall, we're good we went and I have absolutely no problem where they landed in closing this one out
You have to be wrong because someone whose never seen it KNOWS it sucks.

Lol. Jebus cripes.

Glad y’all enjoyed yourselves.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There's been some stuff that was touted as horrible on Netflix, and my wife and I thought was decent to actually good.
Absolutely. There have been movies that got great reviews that I didn’t like. And those that were panned that I loved. But I wouldn’t proclaim to KNOW any sucked or were awesome without having seen them.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'll be the bigger person and stop the nonsense without rising to the bait. Is it possible to leave it there?
Hey @Ouchie-Z-Clown: It's clearly not possible for you to leave it there. You just had to be that guy and rant a couple more times, eh? I hope it really made you feel better to (try to) pile on after the fact, bub.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hey @Ouchie-Z-Clown: It's clearly not possible for you to leave it there. You just had to be that guy and rant a couple more times, eh? I hope it really made you feel better to (try to) pile on after the fact, bub.
Good job ignoring the context of his posts and trying to get the last word in. Mission accomplished!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was playing catch up. Very obviously hadn’t gotten to that post while doing so. But sure, stout, go ahead and ignore that context. And wasn’t piling on, was just continuing the conversation. But whatever. This isn’t life or death or even P&R.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was playing catch up. Very obviously hadn’t gotten to that post while doing so. But sure, stout, go ahead and ignore that context. And wasn’t piling on, was just continuing the conversation. But whatever. This isn’t life or death or even P&R.
And when you got to that final post, there was no "Ah, my bad" moment? Because I've been there and done that, only to realize my posts were no longer relevant and tacked on the "Sorry, was responding one at a time" post or even deleted posts. That's not continuing the conversation--which I had managed to let die down. I chose to just ignore them rather than rise to the bait, because the argument is by now beyond pointless. Now you're just literally arguing about what we're arguing about. Standard these days on the movie board, apparently. But, hey, you do you, bro :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when you got to that final post, there was no "Ah, my bad" moment? Because I've been there and done that, only to realize my posts were no longer relevant and tacked on the "Sorry, was responding one at a time" post or even deleted posts. That's not continuing the conversation--which I had managed to let die down. I chose to just ignore them rather than rise to the bait, because the argument is by now beyond pointless. Now you're just literally arguing about what we're arguing about. Standard these days on the movie board, apparently. But, hey, you do you, bro :thumbup:
I heard from someone whose cousin's sister's pool-guy's friend saw the latest Indy movie and they said that THIS thread has more action in it than that film. ;)

:grabs:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I saw everything back in the day unless the sex and nudity was too great. That's where my Mom drew the line. She was fine with me seeing any of the action movies though. I think I was 10 when I saw Terminator for the first time. It was my first R rated movie and I was off to the races on Arnold, Stallone, and the rest of the cheesy 80s action movies.
I was 7 when my grandmother took me to see Beverly Hills Cop. Love that movie. She took me to see all the good stuff back in the day. Saw Red Dawn that year with her also but ironically, didn't see the Terminator.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Terminator with a bunch of friends at a Midnight Movie. (CLIMB ABOARD FOR RIDE OF YOUR LIFE!)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lol. Self awareness post right there, stout.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I saw Terminator with a bunch of friends at a Midnight Movie. (CLIMB ABOARD FOR RIDE OF YOUR LIFE!)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ha Ha! True story. I was with my room mate in a bar in Flagstaff while I was attending NAU. I left early before the bar closed. My room mate comes home and was wired. He told me a train went through the bar! I said he was drunk and go to bed. I even asked him, "OK. How many people died?" He said no one got hurt. I told him I knew he was drunk! There was no way he could convince me. I get up the next morning, top story on the local news, a train went through the bar!

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indiana Jake and the Diaper of Dysentery fell to #2 in only it's second weekend.

Despite being on 1,412 fewer screens, Insidious: The Red Door claimed the top spot with $33M and a $10,355 per theater average.
Indiana Jake fell 55% to grab only $27.4M with a $5,961 per theater average. Almost half of Insidious.
Sound of Freedom came in third with $19.7M on 2,952 screens and a per theater average better than Indiana Jake of $6,667.

Like I originally said, it's going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. It might not even make as much as it's production budget. Glorious.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish the makers of the Indian Jones' films had handled things differently and kept making films in the franchise. Most fans now feel there is the original trilogy and "those other two films." Imagine if they had made another film only 3 or 4 years after The Last Crusade instead of waiting nearly 20 years to make Crystal Skull and then another 15 years to make Dial of Destiny. We could have had some really cool adventures and the studio could have struck while the iron was still hot, and the actors were still younger. Kind of sad to me that these films came out in 1981, 1984, 1989, 2008, and 2023. Like I've mentioned before, Marvel had a great run of Indiana Jones adventures in comic book form, and we did have a Young Indiana Jones TV Show but overall, I think the IP was underused for its potential - for more movies, more box office, movie tie-ins, etc. Then again hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother's fiance works for a marketing company that is used by multiple studios and TV networks. She was telling me that television rights, video-on-demand, and streaming service rights used to be just gravy but are now part of the projected revenue for studios and networks. Those numbers are harder to glean than looking at just box office dollars.

She told me for example, Netflix pays between 100 million for smaller films to over 450 million for major movie rights for films. Similar streaming services do the same. Then repeat that in other markets outside the United States. Then add on top of that VOD sales and eventual TV network deals. That revenue is murky and not readily accessible which coincidentally is partially what the strike is about. Now factor in merch.

Speculation is all over the place but many say the movie has to make around 800 million to break even (that's just doesn't mean box office). So let's say they could get on average 200 million per market (streaming, VOD and eventually TV network deals) and not including merch? It's got a legit shot at breaking even but it certainly isn't going to be a revenue generator. This will be all about recouping costs now. She told me just looking at box office numbers to determine if something will flop, break even or make money isn't even close to the entire picture and is more about giving websites something to write about. She says she has personally worked on marketing for movies that were determined to be flops at the box office but when all is said and done with all the above broke even or sometimes eeked out a slight profit. I was familiar with some of this from the marketing standpoint of a film I worked on but she knows way more about this than I do.

Having said that? It's not what the studio was hoping for no matter what with such a tent pole franchise.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother's fiance works for a marketing company that is used by multiple studios and TV networks. She was telling me that television rights, video-on-demand, and streaming service rights used to be just gravy but are now part of the projected revenue for studios and networks. Those numbers are harder to glean than looking at just box office dollars.

She told me for example, Netflix pays between 100 million for smaller films to over 450 million for major movie rights for films. Similar streaming services do the same. Then repeat that in other markets outside the United States. Then add on top of that VOD sales and eventual TV network deals. That revenue is murky and not readily accessible which coincidentally is partially what the strike is about. Now factor in merch.

Speculation is all over the place but many say the movie has to make around 800 million to break even (that's just doesn't mean box office). So let's say they could get on average 200 million per market (streaming, VOD and eventually TV network deals) and not including merch? It's got a legit shot at breaking even but it certainly isn't going to be a revenue generator. This will be all about recouping costs now. She told me just looking at box office numbers to determine if something will flop, break even or make money isn't even close to the entire picture and is more about giving websites something to write about. She says she has personally worked on marketing for movies that were determined to be flops at the box office but when all is said and done with all the above broke even or sometimes eeked out a slight profit. I was familiar with some of this from the marketing standpoint of a film I worked on but she knows way more about this than I do.

Having said that? It's not what the studio was hoping for no matter what with such a tent pole franchise.
One quibble here is that most big movies right now arent being sold from studios to streamer because most studios have their own streaming services that are vertically integrated (meaning the studio keeps the movie for themselves and exclusively platforms it onto its own streamer rather than sell to another).

Studios like Sony and Lionsgate are still selling to the Netflix/Amazon’s because they don’t have their own streaming services, but take Dial Of Destiny for example… Disney isn’t gonna make money selling that to a streaming service because it’s going to be exclusively platformed on Disney +.

That also said, that is just starting to change in TV. We’re starting to see the HBOMAXs of the world yank their WB owned properties off their streaming service to make more money and license those shows to streamers. But that’s not happening yet with recent movies.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One quibble here is that most big movies right now arent being sold from studios to streamer because most studios have their own streaming services that are vertically integrated (meaning the studio keeps the movie for themselves and exclusively platforms it onto its own streamer rather than sell to another).

Studios like Sony and Lionsgate are still selling to the Netflix/Amazon’s because they don’t have their own streaming services, but take Dial Of Destiny for example… Disney isn’t gonna make money selling that to a streaming service because it’s going to be exclusively platformed on Disney +.

That also said, that is just starting to change in TV. We’re starting to see the HBOMAXs of the world yank their WB owned properties off their streaming service to make more money and license those shows to streamers. But that’s not happening yet with recent movies.
This relates to the question I had on Elemental.

And yes, it is going to be streamed on Disney+, but they will have to assign some type of value to it (and very much an area they could play with numbers.

Based on Covert's post, Elemental on the open market could fetch $100-$200 million from a streaming service. Combined with projected box office of $450M, that takes it from a flop to a modest profit.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This relates to the question I had on Elemental.

And yes, it is going to be streamed on Disney+, but they will have to assign some type of value to it (and very much an area they could play with numbers.

Based on Covert's post, Elemental on the open market could fetch $100-$200 million from a streaming service. Combined with projected box office of $450M, that takes it from a flop to a modest profit.
This is one of the things that I think the writer's strike is very important for. Investors should be wanting it too. Right now the streaming services are black boxes when it comes to the numbers and they can play all kinds of games. "Sell" the movie to your own service for $300m so that the movie is in the black but the service takes the loss since the service losing money more expected in it right now but then pay the talent based on the service's numbers. It's a hell of a shell game that the studios can play to cover their behinds while screwing over the talent and investors.