Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You are repeatedly mentioning movies that have been universally reviled by EVERYONE, made by widely acknowledged HACKS starring terrible actors.

That isn’t the case here. In any way shape or form.

That is why your argument is so silly.
No, no, the counter argument is I can't KNOW those movies are bad because I haven't seen them. That has been the literal argument for some time. And it is a dumb argument. Dial of Destiny? The jury is out, although I have serious doubts. The idea you can't know a movie sucks without having seen it is just dumb.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said smarm, not swarm. Joke over head there, I suppose.

The following post of mine is benign. The following post of mine also "provoked" a slew of "OMG you're so wrong" posts. Which is why the absurdity is so funny to me.

"Eh, I kinda see his point. Nobody had to see Crystal Skull, for instance, to know it was a giant steaming turd. Sadly, I did see it to confirm it. The whole "You didn't waste your money so never comment on it" stance is stale. I get he went to extremes, so I only kinda see his point."

By God, that poster has stated an opinion that is simply unacceptable! We must rail against it! Rawr rawr rawr.

LOL LOL LOL
LOL. Except you keep moving the goal post with each post….but sure it was about a regular opinion on a movie. There is a “slight” nuance you seem to ignoring.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
We enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as both sets of friends who watched it, but was a fun trip to the theater.

Could have been better, could have been worse.

Most of the commentary fears, etc are completely baseless. It also doesn't set out to destroy the IP, if anything in paying homage they maybe lean on the old tricks a bit much.

Kids liked it well enough.

Overall, we're good we went and I have absolutely no problem where they landed in closing this one out

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been some stuff that was touted as horrible on Netflix, and my wife and I thought was decent to actually good.
This is the main point most of us are making. Personally knowing, assuming based on others opinions is not KNOWING even if that view pans out after you see it. Likely? OK. Probably? OK. High probability? OK. That’s not knowing and if you get scoffed at for your opinion on something you have not seen? Don’t be surprised.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is the main point most of us are making. Personally knowing, assuming based on others opinions is not KNOWING even if that view pans out after you see it. Likely? OK. Probably? OK. High probability? OK. That’s not knowing and if you get scoffed at for your opinion on something you have not seen? Don’t be surprised.
I'll be the bigger person and stop the nonsense without rising to the bait. Is it possible to leave it there?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been some stuff that was touted as horrible on Netflix, and my wife and I thought was decent to actually good.
I am a huge fan of the movie Hudson Hawk and do not care that it was almost universally panned when it was released in theaters. I still like it. I said it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the movie Hudson Hawk and do not care that it was almost universally panned when it was released in theaters. I still like it. I said it.
That one has definitely gained a cult following over time.

I dug it at the time. It was so bizarre and outside the box with just gonzo performances that no one expected from a Bruce Willis movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought Last Action Hero wasn't nearly as bad as most everyone else said.
Agreed. It was already behind the 8 ball when it got released the same weekend as Jurassic Park.

It also applies to the opposite, there are movies that are universally loved but that I don't think are all that. Case in point: Pulp Fiction.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Last Action Hero wasn't nearly as bad as most everyone else said.
That movie was wayyyyyy ahead of its time. I remember LOVING the first hour of the movie, but disliking the second half. But over time, as I really started becoming a writer, I really got into the meta of it all and came to appreciate the second half of the movie in a totally different movie. Now I love the entire thing.

It’s pretty brilliant satire on big action movies and the system that produced them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I love John Carpenter movies. This one was pretty universally panned:

Prince of Darkness

In the movie John Carpenter's physics students explain how evil is able to control people on a quantum level when matter changes state in sub atomic particles from solid to energy and back. I was a kid when I watched this, and the logic behind it scared the crap out of me. There wasn't any big budget special effects and the acting was cheesy, but the logic and scientific explanations made the movie really scary to me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That movie was wayyyyyy ahead of its time. I remember LOVING the first hour of the movie, but disliking the second half. But over time, as I really started becoming a writer, I really got into the meta of it all and came to appreciate the second half of the movie in a totally different movie. Now I love the entire thing.

It’s pretty brilliant satire on big action movies and the system that produced them.
Funny you should say that. I watched that movie about a year ago because my daughter was bored and had not seen it. I told my daughter it really wasn’t worth watching and it was pretty bad. I had not seen it probably in 25 years I think.

After she asked why I thought it was bad because she liked it. It was nowhere near as bad as I remembered either and I actually enjoyed it after all these years. It’s probably a good thing she didn’t listen to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love John Carpenter movies. This one was pretty universally panned:

Prince of Darkness

In the movie John Carpenter's physics students explain how evil is able to control people on a quantum level when matter changes state in sub atomic particles from solid to energy and back. I was a kid when I watched this, and the logic behind it scared the crap out of me. There wasn't any big budget special effects and the acting was cheesy, but the logic and scientific explanations made the movie really scary to me.
Oh, I loved that movie from the jump. Remember seeing it with friends at Town and Country when I was like 12 years old and the usher came up and claimed we weren’t old enough to be in the theater. Some cool girl on a date in front of us turned around and told the usher to stop bothering her “little brother.”

Will always remember that. And the movie which I loved and have always been freaked out by.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Oh, I loved that movie from the jump. Remember seeing it with friends at Town and Country when I was like 12 years old and the usher came up and claimed we weren’t old enough to be in the theater. Some cool girl on a date in front of us turned around and told the usher to stop bothering her “little brother.”

Will always remember that. And the movie which I loved and have always been freaked out by.
Town and Country was a pain for that. I remember them rejecting me and a buddy as 16 year olds to see Total Recall. Luckily my Mom was shopping at the Biltmore and was able to run over to get us our tickets.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town and Country was a pain for that. I remember them rejecting me and a buddy as 16 year olds to see Total Recall. Luckily my Mom was shopping at the Biltmore and was able to run over to get us our tickets.
Man… Darkness came out when I was 11. Our parents bought us tickets for some crazy stuff back then. But my friends and I saw EVERYTHING back in the day.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Man… Darkness came out when I was 11. Our parents bought us tickets for some crazy stuff back then. But my friends and I saw EVERYTHING back in the day.
I saw everything back in the day unless the sex and nudity was too great. That's where my Mom drew the line. She was fine with me seeing any of the action movies though. I think I was 10 when I saw Terminator for the first time. It was my first R rated movie and I was off to the races on Arnold, Stallone, and the rest of the cheesy 80s action movies.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've shared this before. My friends and I went to see a midnight showing of this mostly because Alice Cooper was in it. We watched it in a theater with one of the most hilarious audiences ever. Whenever Jameson Parker was on the screen people were literally shouting out "It's Rick !!" or "No, it's AJ !!" arguing over which brother from the Simon and Simon TV show was in the film. Also - the opening credits seemed to last for the first quarter of the movie. Not kidding. It would just set everyone off laughing each time more credits popped on the screen. Great snarky crowd for a movie that needed it. LOL I should actually probably give it a rewatch since the crowd turned it into a comedy that night.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it's a stupid standard to try to hold anyone to. I knew Plan 9 From Outer Space sucked as a real movie decades before I ever watched it (and enjoyed it for being the schlock fest train wreck it is). I had no problems sharing that opinion, and that opinion was and is valid when I hadn't seen it.

Let's extrapolate the extreme lack of logic on display in this thread: "You can't tell me hot sauce is hot if you haven't tried it. Nuh uh, it's a stupid opinion and stupid to think you can have an opinion if you haven't tried it."

Gimme a freaking break. I don't need to pay to see a movie or waste my time on it to necessarily know it sucks. Sure, there are varying degrees, but we're talking the garbage of the garbage here, like Crystal Skull. Dial? Maybe I'll change my mind and decide to watch it sometime later. It's probably not going to fall into that automatic suckage column for now.
No man, you assumed that movie sucked, you couldn’t know it. Just as you assume hot sauce is hot based on (a) marketing; or (b) knowledge based on experience with the ingredients. But the truth is how “hot” something may feel is also subjective. Something that is spicy to my girl isn’t spicy to me. So her telling me it’s “hot” is meaningless to me, much less her telling me it’s hot without her having any firsthand experience.

You’re a writer. Words matter. “I believe it will suck” is different than “it sucks.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was just offering up an example. Personally, I like to see films before bashing them or praising them.

I liked Gameface a lot and could really appreciate all of the work it took to bring it to a festival.
Agree. I might say “that looks stupid,” but I’d never say “that sucks” without actually watching it.” It’s an absurd statement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Smarm will smarm. But, sure, I'll puncture this binary "YOU MUST WATCH THE MOVIEZ TO SAY THEY SUCK!" absolutism nonsense being peddled on this thread.

I recently watched the first 20 minutes of a movie and found it godawful. But this is an absolutist situation, according to you and others, so I can't for sure say the rest of the movie sucked, nor can I say the movie overall sucked, because I didn't "gain or learn DIRECTLY" from the whole movie. So I have no right at all to comment on the total movie's quality.

See how absolutely stupid that is? Gimme a break. I said I could see where someone was coming from because he didn't want to spend money on a movie because he knew it would suck and the movie forum went on full-on attack mode. I mean, if you step back and look at it, it's silly in the extreme. Gives me a good laugh, especially when you bring the dictionary along so I can hoist you on your own petard.

Well, yinz can continue fluttering your fans over it, but I'm secure in being on the right side of this nonsensical drivel. Honestly, can yinz attack a poster and start an argument over anything less trivial.
Lol I absolutely think you’re ridiculous to state a movie sucks when you’ve only watched 20 mins of it. How often do we read posters comments that say something like “this portion was slow, but then it gained some steam and really had a twist I didn’t see coming.” Just because you’re quick to judge doesn’t make you right and the thought that it does is laughable at best.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've never seen Highlander III: The Sorcerer/Final Dimension. Highlander III: The Sorcerer/Final Dimension sucks. Anyone care to dispute that? Didn't think so. Can we end this silly argument now? lol
Man I hope people don’t say that about your writing without, you know, actually reading it (and maybe more than just 20 pages).