Improvements

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Having just read K9's Heroes and Goats article, I concur with his assessment that the Cardinals cannot at this point be considered among the league's elite teams. We Cardinals' fans, the coaches and the players are well aware of their warts, especially after two 4th quarter meltdowns versus the Rams at home and the Steelers on the road.

But---the question is---can the Cardinals make the necessary improvements this year to work their way into the conversation?

I believe they can---and here are some suggestion as to what they may be able to do to get there:

1. Defensive Play Calls:

While rookie DC James Bettcher is understandably learning on the job---there is one defensive coach on the staff who knows the defense better than he does and that coach is Larry Foote.

Suggestion: have Bettcher continue to coordinate the defense, but assign Foote to make the calls during the games. Foote was the QB of the defense last year and he is used to what calls are typically made in certain situations. Plus, Foote is well aware of the types of adjustments Bowles made at half-time. It wouldn't be that great of a surprise if the players trusted more in Foote in calling the plays than in Bettcher.

2. Interior Defensive Line:

The rotation could use another run stuffer.

Suggestion---activate Xavier Williams on game days and de-activate either Stinson or Mauro, depending on the opponent. Williams was a standout in the pre-season and is stronger at the p.o.a. than Stinson and Mauro.

3. Outside LBs:

They lack speed and edge rush ability, although Markus Golden is very active and is emerging as a threat. On the other side, Woodley has been struggling. We saw yesterday how easily Mike Vick was able to break OLB contain---well, just imagine what Russell Wilson is going to be able to do versus the defense as it is currently manned.

Suggestion---get Sean Weatherspoon and Alani Fua involved at OLB. Both have better speed, range and tackling ability than Woodley. As crazy as this might sound, why not try Justin Bethel a little on the weak side OLB spot---Bethel is one of the best one field tacklers on the team and versus Detroit he blitzed the edge with a bang.

4. Abandon the Soft Zone:

The Cardinals do not have the personnel to play it as the LBers across the board are not athletic enough, save Deone Bucannon. Plus, the 4 man rush has not provided ample pressure and versus a zone a QB can stand back there and pick it apart, just as Nick Foles and Landry Jones did.

Many of you saw how much Nick Foles struggled the week after playing the Cardinals when Green Bay made a point of pressuring him. It should be a similar scenario for Landry Jones at Kansas City this week---you just know the Chiefs aren't going to give Jones the time and breathing room the Cardinals did.

Suggestion: Do what the Steelers did to the Cardinals. Threaten the blitz in the A gams and on the edges and then mix up the blitzes---but blitz as often as possible---create pressure and sustain it. Plus, take Minter out in sure passing situations and put in Alani Fua. it will keep Minter fresher (Minty Fresh!) and it will give us a faster, taller defender versus the passing game and mobile QBs.

5. The Running Game:

What's hurting the Cardinals are the negative runs, which happen when they pull the guards, like when Heyward fired through iupati's vacancy when Iupati pulled and caught CJ for a 3 yard loss. Against quick active DTs, the down block that the tackles have to make is too difficult---plus DTs are taught to "chase" the pulling guard and penetrate quickly into the backfield.

Suggestion: stick with the adjustment BA made in the Lions' game and others when in second halfs he stuck with zone blocking are area blocking schemes. All CJ needs is a crack...same with AE and DJ. Only pull the guards on sweeps and quick tosses.

6. The Passing Game:

Carson Palmer is understandably drooling at the opportunities he has downfield in the intermediate to deep passing areas---but this plays take time to develop and teams are trying their best to pressure Palmer.

Suggestion: incorporate an "underneath" and short passing game, especially to Andre Ellington. Forget about the TEs---get them out of there---put in Juke and David Johnson---have them in there in tandem at times, one in the backfield and one off-set or in the slot. If Carson Palmer develops a short passing game, this offense is going to put so much more pressure on the front seven---and Palmer can wear them out. Save play-action passes for third and short situations when runs are expected. The play-action pass where Palmer threw the ball right to the FS was a bad call in that situation because it fooled nobody, it made Palmer rush his read and throw and it came the next play after a chunk yard pass play to John Brown who was a little winded and was now being keyed on. The FS never had to move. And furthermore, promote Jaxson Shipley to the roster---he is a short passing game magnet.

7. Punting:

The Cardinals cannot continue to tolerate the poor and inconsistent punting from Drew Butler---it is going to cost them a win or two. Plus, he is so deliberate, he's going to get punts blocked.

Suggestion:

Bulter is good on pooch punts---if there is a way to keep him for that, fine. But, pooch punts are less important at this point than punts in weather like in Seattle and Green Bay where field position will be so important. Thus, find a punter with a stronger leg, asap.

8. Adding an OLB:

Adding Dwight Freeney as a situational DE pass rusher was big. But, this team needs a good athlete at WOLB---a players who won't lose contain to Russell Wilson.

Suggestion: it's Keim Time. Make a trade that addresses the lack of speed and athleticism at OLB. A player who can chase and finish tackles.

9. Finishing Drives:

BA and there players have been lamenting the settling for FGs.

Suggestion: start grooming the players to the 4 down concept so as to start going for it on 4th downs. Teams hate it when good offenses go for TDs instead of FGs...put the pressure on the defenses to try to stop this potent offense on 4 downs. Go for it. Dare to be elite. Dare it! BA is the perfect coach for that---teach them BA!

10. Working the Refs:

What one can sense is that BA argues too often with the refs---which means they stop paying attention after a while---and they even can start swallowing their whistles out of spite. Plus, the Cardinals' players, imho, are not helping the matter, particularly with some of the hot dogging the defense is doing after making tackles or breaking up passes. Plus---it seems this year the players are talking trash more than normal, especially on defense, which may be a function of playing under a rookie DC who might not be as inclined to lower the boom on such antics.

Suggestion: start changing the refs' perception of the Cardinals by cutting down on the penalties to begin with, by showing discipline on the field and the sidelines and by making timely arguments. Moreover, create the us and against the world mentality which so often works in football---that the team will need to understand mentally that in order to win it has to overcome any and all bad calls and whatever the other team throws at them. Did anyone on the Cardinals really expect to get more than their fair share of calls at Heinz Field? It is what it is and the Cardinals have to have the mentality that they can overcome the refs and the opponent. The Cardinals didn't even get the calls at home versus the Rams. What does that tell you? Refs typically side with the tougher, more disciplined, less crybaby team. Right now the Cardinals really need to know what it will take to influence the refs in a positive way.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fua, Riddick, Spoon, Bethel, s**t I don't care who plays at the OLB spot where Woodley is playing, I just don't want him playing at all. Dude is aggravating me the most on defense because he's literally been invisible for every game so far. I don't care if Riddick missed most of TC, there's no way he can be worse than Woodley.

Mauro gets stood up all day.
Kareem and Stinson are just....meh.

I hope Woodley gets benched sooner rather than later.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only real improvement needed is an edge rusher. I'm not asking for JJ Watt here but someone who can get consistent pressure on the QB. One thing for sure is we really missed Okafor yesterday.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been talking about the punter since the day Zasty went down... if it hasn't happened by now it ain't happening in the foreseeable future.

NEWARKCARD

Reaction score
Mitch the league word on Palmer ( specially when he was with Cincinnati) he'll put up yards but in big games his history has always been to always do two incredibly dumb plays that make him play like a rookie he has never won anything in his career

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
2. Interior Defensive Line:

The rotation could use another run stuffer.

Suggestion---activate Xavier Williams on game days and de-activate either Stinson or Mauro, depending on the opponent. Williams was a standout in the pre-season and is stronger at the p.o.a. than Stinson and Mauro.

We held Bell to 29 yards rushing in the first half! I really don't believe our issue is a need for another run stuffer!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
in the off season we did listen bask talking about adding speed and then at draft day they selected one of the slower olb/pass rushers ......
certainly we need fua and weatherspoon playing more cause actually we using ,outside of bucannon, the slowest linebacker corp of the NFL

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
BA's presser today: he called out all the players, units and coaches we called out in the game, but without naming names. You can tell he was holding back...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice write up Mitch. Like the suggestion of Foote being more involved in the play calling. It,s much tougher on the road to be hyper aggressive though.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch the league word on Palmer ( specially when he was with Cincinnati) he'll put up yards but in big games his history has always been to always do two incredibly dumb plays that make him play like a rookie he has never won anything in his career

Well then, BA and CP have to change this. I believe they can.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Well then, BA and CP have to change this. I believe they can.

This was the 8th time in his career that Carson put up over 400 yards passing in a game. Previously, he had won all those games... until Sunday. :sad:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care who plays at the OLB spot where Woodley is playing, I just don't want him playing at all. Dude is aggravating me the most on defense because he's literally been invisible for every game so far.

If this were true, he'd be the best defensive player in the league! :D

...dbs

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
in the off season we did listen bask talking about adding speed and then at draft day they selected one of the slower olb/pass rushers
Exactly why I've been saying the Cards draft philosophy of edge rushers needs to be altered from big & physical to more emphasis on speed.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was the 8th time in his career that Carson put up over 400 yards passing in a game. Previously, he had won all those games... until Sunday. :sad:

Could be worse. Could be Phillip Rivers who threw for over 500 yards, no picks, and lost the game.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, a lot to chew on. Two things.
1. TE's in the BA system seem to be very important as blockers and keeping CP upright, so I doubt we'll see any changes there.
2. Other changes, if there are changes, will probably come after the Bye week.

Keep up the passion, and hopefully the team will catch it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
After they go to Cleveland next week, they may as well bring Barkevious Mingo home with them and get him ready during the bye week.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
CJ 14 -DJ 3- AE 1 rushing attempts 45 passes by CP = BA is really stupid against the Steelers or anybody else

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Exactly why I've been saying the Cards draft philosophy of edge rushers needs to be altered from big & physical to more emphasis on speed.
They did draft one, but It,ll take some time for him to develop. Everyone wants one yesterday. I,d also like to see Martin more.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Agree 100%. The mold they're trying to fill is not the correct mold, especially for our division. Speed is more important than size for our scheme/opponents.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I like all the improvement ideas but we all know nothing will change. The system works. Bettcher will continue to not make adjustments and Woodley will control play. I wish they would do something different as whatever they are doing now just isn't cutting it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz