Important! To all draft gurus!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Tuesday morning, I will be participating in a conference call for the AZ media with Mel Kiper and Suze Kolber of ESPN. (arranged by the Cardinals)

If you have a GOOD draft question, preferably with AZ implications, post it below and if I get a chance to ask it, I will.

A lot of you are pretty sharp and this is your opportunity to get some feedback.

URGENT!!! -- Someone who has ESPN Insider please send me Mel Kiper's most recent mock draft so I can get up to speed on his recent stuff. DO NOT post it here, that's a copyright violation.

Send the draft to me at [email protected]

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Newman

Ask him what he's heard about Newman's injury.

If it's bad he may slide and we may pass on him.

If it's nothing then someone ahead of us or ourselves may be picking this highly touted CB.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Ask whether or not the Cardinals should draft DE Suggs despite his poor workouts? Its an obvious pick for the Cardinals, but would it now be a reach with the #6 pick.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
You could ask about the cards 2nd round pick. Try and ask where he thinks Bobby Wade and Shaun Mcdonald might fall. One more question ask which QB would be the best to draft on Day 2 of the draft.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Why do most experts want the Cards' to draft a QB?
The same experts were extremely high on McCown last year and some had him as the #3 QB, if he got the time to develop. Well, Blake was signed as the starter so Josh could sit for another year, which is exactly what they wanted (last year), so why draft a QB this year?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Roundtable

Ask Mel if he has changed his mind about Leonard Davis. When the Cardinals selected him, if my memory serves me right, I believe Mel said "we" would have been better off with Kenyetta Walker a "true" LT.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious about which player(s) have the most upside and potential in this draft. Suggs looks to be the best DE at this point but does say McDougle have more upside.

How will this years QB crop effect the draft. The position is deep but all of them have question marks. Will teams be less likely to trade up for Leftwich or Palmer but more likely to trade up and get Simms, Boller, Grossman and Ragone. Next year also looks to be another rich QB crop and will that effect how much teams will trade up in this draft.

This year appears to be much stronger on the defensive side of the ball. What offensive gems could slide to the 2nd rd.

Which teams are the most likely to trade up in this draft, especially in round 1. Does it make sense for the Cards to trade down in rd 1 since all of the blue chip prospect in this draft have some sort of red flag.

Who will be the best pass rusher at these positions: RDE, LDE, DT and LB.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
Why do most experts want the Cards' to draft a QB?
The same experts were extremely high on McCown last year and some had him as the #3 QB, if he got the time to develop. Well, Blake was signed as the starter so Josh could sit for another year, which is exactly what they wanted (last year), so why draft a QB this year?

Because QBs, even ones that have shown nothing, are like gold. Say we draft Leftwich and let both he and McCown sit for this season behind Blake, then decide Leftwich is our man next year. Will we get serious trade consideration for McCown? You bet we will. Without him having played a down, a team will take a flyer on him. Why? Teams are always looking to trade for a developmental QB.

Ask the Packers. They've gotten trades for Pederson (Eagles when they drafted McNabb), Brooks (Saints) and Hasselbeck (Seahags), just to name those I can remember. They've done all this why? They've had Brett Favre, so why keep picking up QBs? Because they're gold.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
Because QBs, even ones that have shown nothing, are like gold. Say we draft Leftwich and let both he and McCown sit for this season behind Blake, then decide Leftwich is our man next year. Will we get serious trade consideration for McCown? You bet we will. Without him having played a down, a team will take a flyer on him. Why? Teams are always looking to trade for a developmental QB.

Ask the Packers. They've gotten trades for Pederson (Eagles when they drafted McNabb), Brooks (Saints) and Hasselbeck (Seahags), just to name those I can remember. They've done all this why? They've had Brett Favre, so why keep picking up QBs? Because they're gold.

EXACTLY!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ask Mel which receivers would probably be available in the second round. Also, ask him about any draft sleepers to watch out for.

Thanks Skkorp!

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Ask him due to Suggs poor workout and brush with the law, is it possible for the Cards to trade down pick up an extra pick or two and still grab Suggs at 10-13? (10 being Baltimore so they can get Leftwich/Palmer) or 13 so they can grab (Andre Johnson)

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout

They also traded away Mark Brunnel. I agree with what you said. The other thing is Blake is only one year younger than Favre. I like Blake better than Plummer, but the Cardinals have to start looking ahead to Blake's replacement already too. Especially if they aren't totally sold on McCown yet.

Last edited:

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorp: My question to Mel would be: The Cardinals are very high on Kevin Williams as a quick, strong DT or a Vonnie Holliday-type DE. They love what they saw in Williams at the Senior Bowl, as did you and the ESPN staff. The Cardinals would like to trade down to #9 or #10 to take Williams. They believe that Williams won't get by Seattle at #11. Therefore, if the Cardinals don't get a trade offer from Carolina or Baltimore and Williams is the guy they want...more than Suggs or Kennedy, is the selection of Williams at #6 justifyable?

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the single most important question Card fans need to know, although it seems like a boring one, is how the front office feels about Suggs. Are they scared off by the workouts or do they not care? Because all indications would seem to be that Suggs is the guy. Mel might be in a position to know that the team has or hasn't cooled on him.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skorp...

Please ask if it would be better for the Cards to Go DT then DE or DE then DT with their first two picks if the Cards were so inclined to go D with #1 and #2.

Congrats on getting in the mix.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems there are a lot of teams this year with multiple first round picks. Will we see more draft-day trades because of this?

Who's looking to move up/down, and should there be any takers?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
I think the single most important question Card fans need to know, although it seems like a boring one, is how the front office feels about Suggs. Are they scared off by the workouts or do they not care? Because all indications would seem to be that Suggs is the guy. Mel might be in a position to know that the team has or hasn't cooled on him.

I too would like to know Mel's opinion on Suggs. Specifically with the comparisons to Freeney and how Freeney had an unbelievable workout last year, where Suggs had a pair of unspetacular workouts recently. Is this comparison justifiable? Does he think Suggs will have the same impact as Freeney did his rookie season?

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Skorp...

Please ask if it would be better for the Cards to Go DT then DE or DE then DT with their first two picks if the Cards were so inclined to go D with #1 and #2.

Congrats on getting in the mix.

RedStorm - thanks. We have worked long and hard to get here. Without Jim Omohundro, Mike Olbinski, Jo Sparkes, AND the huge number of knowledgeable fans who visit and/or post here, ASFN would never have been given press access.

I'm not sure you guys believe me, but you people make this web site. You buy the tickets. You go to Flagstaff. You buy the caps and t-shirts.

The Cardinals care about you and know they can reach you through here.