Impact rookies

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just read an article on MSN on 8 impact rookies in the playoffs. Of course David Johnson was on the list. It got me back to thinking about our 1st round pick and I'm still mad about it. D Johnson was a great pick in the third round but he feels more like our first rounder because he is actually contributing. Other rookies on the list were D Randall, Kendricks, Lockett, Funchess, etc...
I know several people were wanting us to take Kendricks. I'm not sure how Humphries will work out in the long run (maybe he will prove to be a genius pick) but it sure seems like a waste, especially during this season when we could be use all the help possible during a extended playoff run.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not going to throw in the towel Humphries yet because he is extremely young and talented. But How awesome would this class look if we had taken Kendricks?!!!

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he may get a shot next year. Massie and Cooper have both been in doghouse situations and gotten there shot to start. He will be ready next year.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
are there any top OTs in the league who were high draft picks and sat their entire rookie season?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
are there any top OTs in the league who were high draft picks and sat their entire rookie season?

He wasn't a high draft pick.

Cardinal fans aren't used to depth picks. He wasn't drafted for this year. The book on him is he has great size a great athlete and mean but he doesn't have the technique yet

Be patient

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shoot, you can get starters in third and fourth round, a 1st round draft pick should come in and play, no matter where in the 1st round he was taken. The fact that he couldn't make it on the field this year concerns me.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
OL is a bit different than others positions other than qb. Those guys don't rotate in or out they stay in for every play. And were a team in the SB hunt you don't risk Palmer's health on rookie mistakes.

DJ Humphries was also a back up plan for the Massie suspension or injurys.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Shoot, you can get starters in third and fourth round, a 1st round draft pick should come in and play, no matter where in the 1st round he was taken. The fact that he couldn't make it on the field this year concerns me.

The fact he didn't make it on the field doesn't bother me as much as the fact he never made it on the active list for a single game all season. That he is not as good at this point as Sowell (who looked in preseason like he didn't belong on any NFL roster) is concerning.

He has next camp and preseason to prove he was worth the pick IMO, otherwise he will justifiably wear that bust label.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you really look around the league, it shouldn't shock you to see a first round offensive tackle sitting on the bench or playing badly. The learning curve has become very steep. I'm more worried about Cooper than I am about Humphries.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If you really look around the league, it shouldn't shock you to see a first round offensive tackle sitting on the bench or playing badly. The learning curve has become very steep. I'm more worried about Cooper than I am about Humphries.

Just goes to show you, never draft an OG in the top 10 because chances are he will likely be a disappointment. Remember how everyone here was salivating over Warmack before we drafted Coop then flip flopped after the draft? Both have been let downs to this point.

OP
OP
B

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just goes to show you, never draft an OG in the top 10 because chances are he will likely be a disappointment. Remember how everyone here was salivating over Warmack before we drafted Coop then flip flopped after the draft? Both have been let downs to this point.

Yes, there is a reason certain positions are historically not drafted early (i.e. Guard, Safety, etc..). However, I still think Cooper is ten times better than Larsen

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yes, there is a reason certain positions are historically not drafted early (i.e. Guard, Safety, etc..). However, I still think Cooper is ten times better than Larsen

Do you think you know better than the coaches? Do you think the coaches are so dumb that they can't recognize when a guy they drafted in the Top 10 is TEN TIMES better than the guy they installed as a starter?

Cooper lost his job. That's bad.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

10 times? To be honest I haven't seen much of a difference between when the 2 of them are in the game...let alone a drop off of that magnitude.

OP
OP
B

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ok, 9 times better. Maybe it's an exaggeration but Larsen does nothing. Whenever a play gets blown up, I usually see Larsen standing there looking around. It's been that way for a couple of years now.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cooper can be added to the bust list
Is already 26 and doesnt have the poise to be succesfull
Hope dj humphries is different from this Point ,showing that he is more "hungry"

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim, i hope he Learned the Lesson
Dont draft a guard in the first round
He did a great job signings free agents but selecting players in the first 2 rounds his job was atrocious
Arians philosophy..no risky no biscuits
Keim Must have the same approach selecting in the first 2 rounds

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Keim, i hope he Learned the Lesson
Dont draft a guard in the first round
He did a great job signings free agents but selecting players in the first 2 rounds his job was atrocious
Arians philosophy..no risky no biscuits
Keim Must have the same approach selecting in the first 2 rounds

I don't know. It doesn't seem to me that Keim is taking big risks with those picks. A guard, ILB, blocking TE, and OT are pretty low-ceiling/high-floor positions. Each of those prospects were fairly well-regarded.

Lot's of time for D.J. Williams to develop into something. Being inactive for 17 weeks should send a powerful message if he has any pride at all.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The fact he didn't make it on the field doesn't bother me as much as the fact he never made it on the active list for a single game all season. That he is not as good at this point as Sowell (who looked in preseason like he didn't belong on any NFL roster) is concerning.

He has next camp and preseason to prove he was worth the pick IMO, otherwise he will justifiably wear that bust label.

+1

He didn't make the bench.