Illinois @ ASU

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
F Illinois. Was at the game last year, what an abomination. Should have won that game easily.

Really hope we come out strong and disciplined. Think we have the talent to beat Illinois at home.

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sheelhaase is already practicing on the injured ankle, but not 100% obviouisly
http://blogs.suntimes.com/illini/2012/09/illini_qb_scheelhaase_practice.html

Funny, after I posted this article quoting the Illinois coach on Sheelhaase's condition, saying he practiced, bla bla bla , Doug Haller posted on Azcentral and twitter that it will be tough tracking his condition because the coaches stay mum... Hey Doug, try Google!

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
ASU had more talent than Illinois last year, the talent gap this year may be lessened slightly with the loss of Osweiler, Robinson, Pflugrad, etc. but its still a gap. Add in that the game is in Tempe, and it the earlier results look ASU is actually more disciplined and better coached, this should be a win for ASU.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ASU had more talent than Illinois last year, the talent gap this year may be lessened slightly with the loss of Osweiler, Robinson, Pflugrad, etc. but its still a gap. Add in that the game is in Tempe, and it the earlier results look ASU is actually more disciplined and better coached, this should be a win for ASU.
Not true, Illinois had four guys taken in the top 2 rounds of the draft this year. Zook just couldn't coach. If Illinois' QB plays it should be a pretty tight game.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This is going to be on ESPN? Interesting.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Not true, Illinois had four guys taken in the top 2 rounds of the draft this year. .

Thats not a really relevant measure of total team talent though is it? First off its flawed because it only looks at the talent level of a teams JRs and SRs. Secondly, it doesn't account for guys like Omar Bolden who would've been drafted higher if healthy (though he of course didnt play again Ill/anyone last year) or Vontaze who would've been drafted if not for being chronically stupid.

A better way to look at it would be how the two teams do in the draft from this past draft over the next 3 or so, comparing Zooks guys to Ericksons.

Illinois did have a few talented players, but I don't think you can fairly say ASU didn't look faster and more athletically talented than them on the whole last year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Illinois has several guys still on the team that will be drafted. Their defensive front looks especially stout, and there's quality skill talent on offense.

This will be a real tough game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Illinois has several guys still on the team that will be drafted. Their defensive front looks especially stout, and there's quality skill talent on offense.

This will be a real tough game.

Sounds like Sheelhaase is very questionable this week and didn't practice at all today.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Sheelhaase is very questionable this week and didn't practice at all today.

I think he was held out of precaution. I bet he practices today. I anticipate him being healthy and starting on Saturday.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
As I get into my 30's I really wish I had a training staff to help me through my weekend warrior injuries. Imagine being able to come back in a week off a badly sprained ankle.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I get into my 30's I really wish I had a training staff to help me through my weekend warrior injuries. Imagine being able to come back in a week off a badly sprained ankle.

On the flip side, athletes develop a higher tolerance of pain. I've seen guys play through things that would have had me in bed calling into work (where I sit on my butt for the most part).

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CHAMPAIGN — Reilly O'Toole is in the business of building Illini confidence this week.
The Illinois quarterback shared reps with Miles Osei with the first-string offense Tuesday as third-year starter Nathan Scheelhaase rehabbed from an ankle injury. After playing in a limited role for much of last season, O'Toole said he wants to earn the trust of his teammates heading into Saturday's game at Arizona State.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ach-tim-beckman-nathan-scheelhaase-miles-osei

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
On the flip side, athletes develop a higher tolerance of pain. I've seen guys play through things that would have had me in bed calling into work (where I sit on my butt for the most part).

Yep... Heck, I played high school football and baseball and when I look back (I'm not 48... ugghhh...), I can't believe the crap we all played thru that today, would have me in the doctors office in a flash!

It's remarkable how the mind can totally block out pain and the fact that you actually have an injury altogether! But, immediately after the game, reality typically sets in and it's usually brutal.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if ASU can keep their penalties low again.

I knew Graham was serious about discipline, but forbidding the players from saying anything except "yes, sir" "No, sir" to the refs, and not allowing them to talk to the other team? http://www.azcentral.com/sports/heatindex/articles/20120905asu-football-discipline-top-priority.html

Wow. I guess I don't have a problem with that, but I had no idea the lengths he was going to on this.
That is kind of awesome.