If YOU were the 32 GMs Your Decisions?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here are mine:

1. HOU: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M. This is an organization that needs a jump start and a buzz. Well, Manziel would have that franchise in a frenzy. They already have all the ingredients around the QB---the power running game, very good receivers, etc. Bill O'Brien would need to show his flexibility---and I am not sure that's what he really wants, so i do not think they will make this pick. But, as GM I would do my best to fire O'Brien up. I would also draft another QB later one, as the Redskins did with RGIII and Cousins. The Texans passed on a QB for Mario Williams---but it didn't get them a ring. Without a play making QB, it doesn't matter how good their defense is.

2. STL: Greg Robinson, T, Auburn. Their pass rush is already very good, and they have a plethora of young WRs with upside. Time to once and for all turn their shaky o-line into a strength.

3. JAX: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida. Top priority here unless you really believe Chad Henne will win you a Lombardi. The sooner they have the QBOF in place, the sooner they can start building a winner.

4. CLE: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno St. Same scenario as Jacksonville. Get your QBOF in place and start building a winner.

5. OAK: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson. They are quietly assembling some talent in Oakland---but this acquisition will make a lot of noise. he is precisely what Matt Schaub and their offense needs.

6. ATL: Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M. Tantalizing pick here---Clowney or Matthews. Both DE and T are the top priorities. There is some risk regarding the mercurial Clowney who may be the most explosive player in the draft, but Matthews may be the safest, surest pick in the draft.

7. TB: Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina. Jason Licht will trust that Lovie Smith will be able to motivate Clowney to play at the highest level possible. It's a great match for the player and the coach.

8. MIN: C.J. Mosely, ILB, Alabama. The QBs they liked are off the board---and Mike Zimmer wants and needs a captain of his defense. Mosely is the right fit. This pick actually takes place at #16 as the Cowboys trade up for Kahlil Mack.

9. BUF: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M. This is their guy to go opposite of Stevie Johnson and thus Robert Woods can play the slot.

10. DET: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama. They are tempted to take a WR here, but the depth at WR in this draft is plentiful. The safety position needs to be addressed and this guy has the range and playmaking skills they need.

11. TEN: Odell Beckham, Jr., LSU. They need a versatile, big chunk WR and Beckham is made to order.

12. NYG: Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan. They realize that many of Eli's sacks were the result of poor pass protection. It's time to get that fixed.

13. STL: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville. Again---the only way STL ever gets another whiff at the Lombardi is if they acquire a QB who can get them there. Sam Bradford is Marc Bulger Part Deux. Ho hum. Bridgewater has the vision and the quick timed release they need in order to feed their quick passing attack.

14. CHI: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh. They need DL talent and this kid brings it every snap.

15. PIT: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St. Dennard is just the kind of physical corner Dick LeBeau wants and currently needs. Made to order.

16. DAL: Kahlil Mack, OLB, Buffalo. I have Dallas trading up to #8 with MIN for this pick ans this is where MIN takes ILB C.J. Mosely.

17. BAL: Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville. He fits their profile to a tee.

18. NYJ: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma St. Fits right into Cro's po---both at CB and as a return man.

19. MIA: Zach Martin, Notre Dame. Need pick and a good one at that.

20. AZ: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA. Steve Keim gets the length and speed combo he wants at OLB in Barr. I am sure Baltimore thought long and hard about him, but they went with Pryor instead.

21. GB: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech. He fits their mold. This pick is actually traded to the 49ers who take WR Brandin Cooks, whom they think Chip Kelly would take at #22 or Andy Reid would take at #23.

22. PHI: Marqise Lee, WR, USC. Kelly knows him well, so does Nick Foles and Matt Barkley. They will say they wanted him the whole time, but they really wanted Cooks.

23. KC: Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU. Should be more dynamic in the slot than what they've had.

24. CIN: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio St. Stays in state and makes their defense even more formidable.

25. SD: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech. Smooth and decisive player who starts for them immediately.

26. CLE: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio St. Stays in state and shores up the side opposite Joe Haden.

27. NO: Dee Ford, OLB/DE, Auburn. Just their kind of player---feisty and relentless.

28. CAR: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida St. Big target for Cam.

29. NE: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina. Too much upside to pass up at a position they place significant value on.

30. SF: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon St. See trade with GB at #21. GB takes Jace Amaro here, whom they actually prefer over Ebron.

31. DEN: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn. St. Takes Decker's spot. Nice fit.

32. SEA: Cyrus Kouandijo, T, Alabama. Fits their mold and their need.

Cardinals:

52. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida St. Like having twin Badgers on the field. Tough hitter, pesky as all get-out in coverage. Plus, can play CB.

84. Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU. The Freak is a very good fit in TB's defense. Plus, we seem to thrive on drafting Tigers in the 3rd round.

120. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida St. BA has said he wanted to acquire a player like The Juke, well, Freeman is that player in this draft.

160. James Hurst, T, North Carolina. Coop's teammate who, when fully rehabbed, may translate well at RT.

196. Keith Wenning, QB, Ball St. Most under-rated QB in this draft, imo. Hunkers down in the pocket and throws very well. I like Keith Price of Washington too, whom i think has a little Russell Wilson-like intangibles. In fact, he and Wilson have developed a good friendship. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Seahawks draft him late at Wilson's suggestion.

I am hoping we can add one more pick---because I would really like to draft one of the following speed WRs:

Dri Archer (I think he's a WR in the NFL who can occasionally run the ball)
Bruce Ellington
Robert Herron
Paul Richardson
Tevin Reese
Jared Abbrederis
Josh Huff
John Brown
Jalen Saunders
T.J. Jones

Another player I really like for us is LB Christian Jones (6-4, ---who, imo, is very Dansby-esque physically). Can play inside or outside---has size, speed and playmaking ability.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If I am a GM, I don't pass on Clowney. Especially if I am the Rams.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
1.HOUSTON- Jadeveon Clowney(SC) DE-teams with JJ Watt,
2.STL- Sammy Watkins WR (CLM)-gives Bradford a real target to go with Tavon Austin
3. JAX-Greg Robinson T (AUB)- decide to build OLine foundation with Joeckel.
4.CLE- Blake Bortles QB (CF)
5.OAK-Marquise Lee WR (USC)-give Schaub another target
6.ATL-Jake Mathews T (TXAM)-protect Matt Ryan
7.TB-Khalil Mack LB (BUF)-pass rusher needed
8.Minn-Derek Carr QB FRST-big armed QB
9..BUFF-Anthony Barr LB (UCLA)
10.DET -Justin Gilbert CB (OKST)
11TNN-Ha Clinton-Dix S (ALA)
12.NYG-Eric Ebron TE (NC)-another pass catcher for Eli
13.STL-Taylor Lewan T (MICH)-pass blocker for Bradford.
14.CHI-Aaron Donald DT (PITT)
15.PITT-Stephon Tuitt DE (N D)-helps depleted DLINE
16 DALLAS-Darquze Dennard CB(MICHST)-helps Cowboys terrible pass defense
17.BALT-Calvin Pryor S (UL)
18.JETS-Mike Evans WR (TXAM)
19.MIAMI-Carlos Hyde RB (OHST)
20.AZ-Kony Ealy DE (MISSOURI)
21.GB-CJ Mosley LB (ALA)
22.PHILA_-Dee Ford OLB (AUB)
23.KC-Louis Nix DT (ND)
24.CINN-Ryan Shazier LB (OHST)
25.SD-Zach Martin T_G (ND)
26.CLEVE-Tim Jernigan DT (FS)
27.NO-Teddy Bridgewater QB (UL)-
28.CAR-Odell Beckham WR (LSU)
29 NE.Johnny Manziel QB (TXAM)
30.SF-Rashede Hageman DE-DT (MINN)
31.DEN-David Yankey G (STFD)-
32.SEATTLE-Kelvin Benjamin WR F(FLAST)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If I'm the Rams GM I pass on Clowney everyday of the week. I have Long and Quinn at defensive end already. I just paid Long and after this season I'm going to have to give Quinn a kings ransom. Quinn might be the best young pass rusher in the league already. How much money do you want to tie up in one position.

Look at the division your in your playing against maybe the 3 best defenses in the NFL you better get someone to protect Sam Bradford.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If I'm the Rams GM I pass on Clowney everyday of the week. I have Long and Quinn at defensive end already. I just paid Long and after this season I'm going to have to give Quinn a kings ransom. Quinn might be the best young pass rusher in the league already. How much money do you want to tie up in one position.

Look at the division your in your playing against maybe the 3 best defenses in the NFL you better get someone to protect Sam Bradford.

I was looking at it the exact opposite.. look at the other three defenses in the division and realize you can never have too much firepower on that side of the field. Plus, you are likely going to have to chase Wilson and Kaep around for the next decade, so you can never have too many pass rushers going against those two. Fill a need at #13 -- take the once in a generation athletic talent at #2.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking at it the exact opposite.. look at the other three defenses in the division and realize you can never have too much firepower on that side of the field. Plus, you are likely going to have to chase Wilson and Kaep around for the next decade, so you can never have too many pass rushers going against those two. Fill a need at #13 -- take the once in a generation athletic talent at #2.

You can only play two defense ends at a time. It also comes down to money how much do you want to tie up in one position

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You can only play two defense ends at a time. It also comes down to money how much do you want to tie up in one position

Is Long athletic enough to switch to OLB? Would there be a trade market for him? Building around Quinn and Clowney on the line could be down right scary!

Reaction score
Is Long athletic enough to switch to OLB? Would there be a trade market for him? Building around Quinn and Clowney on the line could be down right scary!

I agree with you gmabel. You take Clowney & don't look back. With that kind of talent you'll find a spot for him on the field.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't see teams taking even Carr that high. I think you'll see Bortles and Manziel high (top ten), with the other two going a bit later.

The negative talk on Clowney is massively overplayed. Sure he takes a down or two off, but the guy is an amazing player. I remember thinking that he wasn't that good his freshman season, and he still had 11 sacks! He's just that good; you watch him and you think, this guy isn't as good as he could be and he's still developing, and he's probably the best defensive player to come out in a decade. That's how high his potential is.

The Rams would be crazy NOT to take Watkins. He's scary good, head and shoulders better than any playmaker in this draft. IF the Rams turn him down because of the likes of Pettis, Givens, and company, then they are as clueless as I think they are. Now I really think you are on to something about the Rams needing to take a QB. Sam Bradford is a nice player, but he's not a franchise QB.

I'll post mine later.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Mitch, would you take any of the four top QB's if any of them came to the Cardinals pick in the 1st Rd?

Can you realistically see it happening?

I think at least one will. Slight chance two might.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
20. AZ: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA. Steve Keim gets the length and speed combo he wants at OLB in Barr. I am sure Baltimore thought long and hard about him, but they went with Pryor instead.

52. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida St. Like having twin Badgers on the field. Tough hitter, pesky as all get-out in coverage. Plus, can play CB.

84. Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU. The Freak is a very good fit in TB's defense. Plus, we seem to thrive on drafting Tigers in the 3rd round.

120. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida St. BA has said he wanted to acquire a player like The Juke, well, Freeman is that player in this draft.

160. James Hurst, T, North Carolina. Coop's teammate who, when fully rehabbed, may translate well at RT.

196. Keith Wenning, QB, Ball St. Most under-rated QB in this draft, imo. Hunkers down in the pocket and throws very well. I like Keith Price of Washington too, whom i think has a little Russell Wilson-like intangibles. In fact, he and Wilson have developed a good friendship. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Seahawks draft him late at Wilson's suggestion.

I am hoping we can add one more pick---because I would really like to draft one of the following speed WRs:

Dri Archer (I think he's a WR in the NFL who can occasionally run the ball)
Bruce Ellington
Robert Herron
Paul Richardson
Tevin Reese
Jared Abbrederis
Josh Huff
John Brown
Jalen Saunders
T.J. Jones

Another player I really like for us is LB Christian Jones (6-4, ---who, imo, is very Dansby-esque physically). Can play inside or outside---has size, speed and playmaking ability.

Like all the picks except the 4th. But I don't know much about him. I think Possibly a young TE to groom in the 2nd, but I think Joyner is solid there.

I think they will definately go DL in the first four picks, imo.

Hurst in the 5th, Wenning in the 6th would be a good gets, imo. I'd sure take a shot at Murray as well, late.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. HOU: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M. I'm with Mitch here; Manziel has the chance to be an iconic player. I think that Clowney is the best player in the draft, and will be the best defensive player to come out in years, but Manziel has superstar QB potential. I'm definitely a believer in his mojo, I just think he has a tremendous natural feel for the game in the same sense that Russell Wilson does. Manziel will be better than Russell Wilson because I think he has better tools (bigger, better arm, better runner).

2. STL: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson. Clowney slides further because of team needs, but Watkins is a very deserving #2 pick. In most drafts he would be here regardless. Watkins is better than any offensive player on the Rams and they would be crazy to allow a playmaker of his quality to pass them up. Having Watkins, Austin, Cook as targets creates a lot of mismatches and each one has different strengths and would be tough for any defense to defend.

3. JAX: Jadaveon Clowney, DE, Real USC. The Jags sprint to the podium to get this pick off. I think that the Jags will see the truth here; Clowney has a better chance to be great than any player in this draft, and he is a franchise cornerstone.

4. CLE: Blake Bortles, QB, UCF. Cleveland gets lucky having a great QB prospect fall into their lap. I really like Bortles, I think he has the chance to develop into a very good QB. What I like more than the tools is his mental makeup.

5. OAK: Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo. I really like Khalil Mack. Cleveland considered him hard, but at the end of the day they went with the QB. Oakland is buying the hype, and instead goes with the second best defender. He's more of a 3-4 OLB, but he's good enough that teams will find ways to get him on the field.

6. ATL: Greg Robinson, Auburn. Wow. A franchise LT at #6 overall. I think Robinson has the chance to be one of the three or four best LTs in a few years. He truly has elite potential. Even with him falling into their lap, Atlanta seriously considers a pass rusher here. They are awful on both lines, and massively overpaid for average DL. Atlanta has the look of a team that could seriously decline soon.

7. TB: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M. After jettisoning Mike Williams about a week ago, Tampa basically forced their own hand into adding a WR. While Evans isn't the perfect fit across from Vincent Jackson, he does give that twin towers dynamic, two big receivers that can get deep on you.

8. MIN: Justin Gilbert, DB, Oklahoma State. Forget taking a ILB. Minnesota desperately needs cornerbacks. They are truly awful at corner and defensive tackle is a huge need too. But new coach Mike Zimmer is going to want a new toy for his pressure heavy defense, and Gilbert closest fits the bill.

9. BUF: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M. A great value pick here for Buffalo, and pairing him with Cordy Glenn really elevates their offense.

10. DET: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State. Mitch is right that Detroit needs DBs, but I think they will see that Dennard is a better value this early in the draft.

11. TEN: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA. I'm not confident in this pick, but Tennessee is moving to a 3-4 and will very much need an infusion in talent at OLB. If Gilbert is available, I think they go CB. Whisenhunt knows from his days here in Arizona that you have to be able to stop the pass to win.

12. NYG: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh. The Giants are one of those teams that are adept at identifying front seven talent. They desperately need talent across the defensive (and offensive) line and want an end first and foremost. But the talent isn't worthy of taking here, and Donald is going to be a future all pro.

13. STL: Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama. His name is a bad joke, but his game is not :p . ST. Louis walks out of round one with two very good talents.

14. CHI: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State. A lot of mocks have Jernigan going to Chicago, and I think it's a good fit based on their needs (STOP THE RUN!@#$%).

15. PIT: Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame. This is another pick I'm not crazy about. CJ Mosely was on the table too, but I think Pittsburgh needs a nose to make up for the loss of Casey Hampton. They haven't been the same team since he left.

16. DAL: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri. I disagree that Jones is going to trade up. I think he needs more picks more than anything else. That Dallas defense was terribad last year, and they have lost substantial talent in the offseason. Kony Ealy is a bit of a reach, since I think he's more of a late first rounder, but Dallas is known to reach.

17. BAL: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan. Baltimore is the king of BPAaPN (Best Player Available at a Position of Need). Taylor Lewan steps into the RT spot vacated by Michael Oher's departure. Lewan fell because he's not a true franchise LT, and he's a poor character guy. Baltimore has the locker room to handle this type of guy.

18. NYJ: Eric Ebron, TE, Chapel Hil. As much as the Jets need a cover guy, the value just isn't that great right now. Eric Ebron will come in and be that mismatch that their offense sorely needs.

19. MIA: Zach Martin, Notre Dame. After the events of last season, Miami will take solid, workman-like all day long. Martin will be a good RT, or great guard.

20. AZ: Calvin Pryor, SS, Louisville. Pryor lasts this long only because he is an awful tackler right now. He hits more often than he wraps up, and I think he needs a lot of work on this part of his game. The good news is this is a correctable flaw, and I think Pryor doesn't have to play 100% of the time in our defense in week one. By the end of the season, I think we'll be seeing a three headed monster, a Hydra of a defensive backfield.

21. GB: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech. Agree with this pick, except they make it here.

22. PHI: Brandin Cooks, WR Oregon State. I don't see the Niners trading up; they are the type of patient team that understands that you don't have to waste picks by falling in love with a player. Philly moved on from Desean Jackson, but now they desperately need a real playmaker at WR. Cooks is a bit of a Steve Smith-like player and Kelly will love his competitive fire.

23. KC: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia. KC desperately needs OL, and the best are quickly coming off the board. The WR depth is good enough to wait.

24. CIN: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio St. I'm with Mitch here, this would be the rich getting richer!

25. SD: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech. I'm with Mitch here. He's a very good corner.

26. CLE: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU. I like Verrett quite a bit, and the Cardinals heavily considered him at 20. I think he is a future pro bowler.

27. NO: Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn. Might as well. This is pretty much the stock pick.

28. CAR: Marquise Lee, WR, USC. Carolina is desperate for WRs (and CBs AND OTs!), and are fortunate that the WR pool is this good this year. Before this season, Marquise Lee looked like he was going to be a top ten pick, but he had a down year. While Lee doesn't test like an elite talent, he sure looks like one.

29. NE: CJ Mosely, ILB, Alabama. New England has a knack for getting great value and finding guys like Mosely later. After letting Spikes walk, they trade him in for a vastly superior player.

30. SF: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State. I know the trendy pick is WR, but San Francisco is HURTING for CBs after the arrest of Chris Culliver (who may go to jail for awhile). They lost Tarrell Brown and Carlos Rogers, and were heavily relying on the return of Culliver this year. San Francisco is a dark horse to trade up, not for a WR, but for a CB.

31. DEN: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State. Richburg is a very prospect and with the shellacking that the Broncos took in the Super Bowl, they really need to upgrade their offensive line. Cornerback was also considered, but the value wasn't there.

32. SEA: Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada. Seattle could go a number of ways, primarily looking at OTs, DE, DTs, and WRs. Seattle lost a lot along the defensive line and stronger considered Stephon Tuitt, but ultimately realized that they can't settle with the garbage they will be throwing out on the offensive line like they did last year. Bitonio isn't like a lot of the bigger offensive lineman that Seattle likes at OT, but Tom Cable will love his movement skills.

Cardinals via fanspeak:

52. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, WA. I'm not in love with this pick, but he was far and away the biggest potential reward player left. I get the sense that ASJ is a real knucklehead based on what has been said up here about him, but he does have massive potential. The Cardinals know from drafting Darnell Dockett that having a few knuckleheads isn't a bad thing.

84. Marcus Smith, Louisville, OLB. I'm betting he's gone in reality once pick #84 comes around, but I really like his long term potential. He's one of those guys who you see the desired movements from, but his body isn't fully developed yet. A year in the weight room should do the trick, which corresponds also with Abraham's contract being up.

120. Terrance West, Towson, RB. This is a bit of a luxury pick, but I like the bit of film I've seen on him, and I've heard quite a few scouts think he could develop into a franchise back. I'm skeptical of whether Andre will be an every down back, and with West and Dwyer in tow, RB is no longer a weakness.

160. Philip Gaines, CB, Rice. He won't be available by pick 160, but hey that's what the simulator had available. With Cro under contract, Gaines has the chance to learn, a rare feat in the modern NFL.

196. Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor. I really wanted a 5 technique somewhere in the draft, and none were available where I wanted them. Tuitt was gone by round 2 (as was my other favorite, Troy Niklas) and by round 3 none of my guys were still on the board. So I continued passing and by round 6, the pickings were slim. Reese is a speedster (on film), a position that even though we added Ginn, I think the team wants more of.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Mitch, No way O'Brian takes Manziel as his QB. Manziel does not fit the style of QB O'Brian likes. Houston will either take Bortles or Clowney although I think Clowney will be a bust. Not saying he will wilt like Leaf or Russell, I just think he will never reach his potential because of his personality. I don't think anyone will get Clowney to work at his craft hard enough to get to the status he is capable of achieving.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I just don't see it---partly because, as was pointed out, their DE situation is a strength, and their o-line situation is in flux.

Plus, T Greg Robinson is very likely the best player in the draft.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Well argued. I think your points are spot-on.

The one player they might take at #2 other than Greg Robinson is WR Sammy Watkins---with the thought that they may still be able to snag a tackle like Taylor Lewan at #13.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I don't see teams taking even Carr that high. I think you'll see Bortles and Manziel high (top ten), with the other two going a bit later.

The negative talk on Clowney is massively overplayed. Sure he takes a down or two off, but the guy is an amazing player. I remember thinking that he wasn't that good his freshman season, and he still had 11 sacks! He's just that good; you watch him and you think, this guy isn't as good as he could be and he's still developing, and he's probably the best defensive player to come out in a decade. That's how high his potential is.

The Rams would be crazy NOT to take Watkins. He's scary good, head and shoulders better than any playmaker in this draft. IF the Rams turn him down because of the likes of Pettis, Givens, and company, then they are as clueless as I think they are. Now I really think you are on to something about the Rams needing to take a QB. Sam Bradford is a nice player, but he's not a franchise QB.

I'll post mine later.

Clowney is an enigma. No one doubts the talent. But, the speeding tickets, the sub par season and questions about his work ethic (implied by his own head coach, Steve Spurrier) have to be concerns.

Word out of Houston is that they have Khalil Mack rated higher than Clowney. Peter King confirmed that in his MMQB blog.

The Rams have quite a dilemma at #2---Robinson or Watkins.

Here's what their thinking may be:

Robinson---Beckham

Watkins---Lewan (but will Lewan still be on the board at #13? if not, is there anothet tackle they like at #13 or at #44?)

If I were making this call---I would go with Robinson/Beckham (to me Robinson is the best player in the draft---and Beckham is the #2 WR on my board---very dynamic in his own right).

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, would you take any of the four top QB's if any of them came to the Cardinals pick in the 1st Rd?

Can you realistically see it happening?

I think at least one will. Slight chance two might.

I would take Manziel, WildBB. BA could start Palmer but have packages for Manziel. That's the thing---BA believes 1st round QBs should play---and he means it.

Peter King wrote two things of interest in his MMQB blog:

1. He reports that the Cardinals are very high on Derek Carr and A.J. McCarron.

2. He believes the Cardinals will take a QB in Round 1 or 2.

My reactions:

1. The Cardinals are not going to trade up. Carr has the strongest arm in the draft and has been gathering momentum---I think he is a top ten pick. If for some reason he slides to #20, I could see the Cardinals viewing him as BPA. But, this scenario seems moot.

2. It would be very surprising to see the Cardinals take McCarron at #20. I think Steve Keim wants to trade down from #20---adding another pick or two make make it easier to take a QB earlier rather than later.

The thing is---I don't see McCarron sliding to #52. If the Texans don't take a QB at #1, I could see them taking McCarron (a Tom Brady cerebral type) at #33. I could see Jason Licht taking McCarron at #38 or Jacksonville (if they don't take at QB at #3) at #39.

3. I wonder if the Cardinals are throwing out a smoke screen on Carr and McCarron---because I think what they really want is someone to trade up to #20, so they can add extra picks.

Also, could it be that by showing interest in Carr and McCarron they may be taking atttention away from the guy they really want at #52: Zach Mettenberger?

I think the Cardinals will take a QB in this draft---my guess is---if they are able to add another 1 or two picks, it will be Mettenberger in the 2nd round (if he makes it to #52)---or they may pounce on one in the 3rd or 4th round.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Like all the picks except the 4th. But I don't know much about him. I think Possibly a young TE to groom in the 2nd, but I think Joyner is solid there.

I think they will definately go DL in the first four picks, imo.

Hurst in the 5th, Wenning in the 6th would be a good gets, imo. I'd sure take a shot at Murray as well, late.

I will bet you that the Cardinals love RB Devonta Freeman. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxiKpKVb-80

Who does he remind you of?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, No way O'Brian takes Manziel as his QB. Manziel does not fit the style of QB O'Brian likes. Houston will either take Bortles or Clowney although I think Clowney will be a bust. Not saying he will wilt like Leaf or Russell, I just think he will never reach his potential because of his personality. I don't think anyone will get Clowney to work at his craft hard enough to get to the status he is capable of achieving.

You may be right, PA.

However---

1. Peter King conformed today that the Texans have Khalil Mack rated higher than Clowney.

2. Bill O'Brien doesn't make the call, the GM does.

3. We are talking the state of Texas and Johnny Football. The energy and electricity that picking him would bring to the organization would be off the charts.

4. When the Colts, the Texans' division rival, found themselves at #1, they took Andrew Luck. Sure, Luck seemed like a no-brainer. But, how are the Texans going to compete with Luck? They need their own answer. Is that answer Blake Bortles? I don't think so---and I believe neither do the Texans.

5. How many Super Bowls have Peyton Manning and Tom Brady won in the last five years? None.

6. Last ten years? One.

7. The game is ever-evolving and right now mobile QBs who can evade pressure and extend plays are in vogue---and rightly so---because of the added pressure that is put on the defense to have to contain and deal with a running threat at QB. Ask any DC---heck, i remember years ago, John Fox, the with Carolina, saying that he was hoping the Cardinals couldn't start Josh McCown versus them because having to defend a running threat at QB changes the entire game plan defensively.

8. Hey, if BA can adapt and change his thinking---so can Bill O'Brien.

9. Look at last year's Super Bowl---the HOF stationary QB got pounded---and the young, mobile QB was superb.

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
You may be right, PA.

However---

1. Peter King conformed today that the Texans have Khalil Mack rated higher than Clowney.

2. Bill O'Brien doesn't make the call, the GM does.

3. We are talking the state of Texas and Johnny Football. The energy and electricity that picking him would bring to the organization would be off the charts.

4. When the Colts, the Texans' division rival, found themselves at #1, they took Andrew Luck. Sure, Luck seemed like a no-brainer. But, how are the Texans going to compete with Luck? They need their own answer. Is that answer Blake Bortles? I don't think so---and I believe neither do the Texans.

5. How many Super Bowls have Peyton Manning and Tom Brady won in the last five years? None.

6. Last ten years? One.

7. The game is ever-evolving and right now mobile QBs who can evade pressure and extend plays are in vogue---and rightly so---because of the added pressure that is put on the defense to have to contain and deal with a running threat at QB. Ask any DC---heck, i remember years ago, John Fox, the with Carolina, saying that he was hoping the Cardinals couldn't start Josh McCown versus them because having to defend a running threat at QB changes the entire game plan defensively.

8. Hey, if BA can adapt and change his thinking---so can Bill O'Brien.

9. Look at last year's Super Bowl---the HOF stationary QB got pounded---and the young, mobile QB was superb.

So using that line of reasoning #9 the Cards don`t have much of a chance winning a Super Bowl unless they draft a Johnny Manziel or Tajh Boyd type QB.:mulli:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
So using that line of reasoning #9 the Cards don`t have much of a chance winning a Super Bowl unless they draft a Johnny Manziel or Tajh Boyd type QB.:mulli:

To answer your question---I think the Cardinals do need to get more athletic at the QB position. I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that BA&SK are starting to think this way as well.

Defenses are so fast and multi-schemed these days that you need a quick-reacting QB who can escape from pressure and can get the ball out quickly when needed.

I think that Jason Licht had been arguing this with Steve Keim before Licht left.

Look at how Licht immediately took Mike Glennon out of the starting equation. Glennon actually exceeded expectations---and having watched many of his games, I thought he bought added time surprisingly well on numerous occasions. Plus, he showed a cannon arm.

Licht brings in Josh McCown---a better athlete, and a threat to run if the occasion arises. It wouldn't surprise me if Licht drafts a mobile QB in this draft...and I would bet Manziel and Boyd are possibilities.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
To answer your question---I think the Cardinals do need to get more athletic at the QB position. I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that BA&SK are starting to think this way as well.

Defenses are so fast and multi-schemed these days that you need a quick-reacting QB who can escape from pressure and can get the ball out quickly when needed.

I think that Jason Licht had been arguing this with Steve Keim before Licht left.

Look at how Licht immediately took Mike Glennon out of the starting equation. Glennon actually exceeded expectations---and having watched many of his games, I thought he bought added time surprisingly well on numerous occasions. Plus, he showed a cannon arm.

Licht brings in Josh McCown---a better athlete, and a threat to run if the occasion arises. It wouldn't surprise me if Licht drafts a mobile QB in this draft...and I would bet Manziel and Boyd are possibilities.

I keep reading that Cards are very high on AJ McCarron who has some escapability and does not have a big vertical arm.Why not Bridgewater who has the same game manager skills and the same good arm just not great vertical arm? So what`s the difference in the two?Bridgewater getting dumped on by the lemmings while a semi-non entity like Tom Savage gets slobbered over like a 10 dollar *****.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are the last two QB's to win before Russell Wildon right? Those two aren't really athletic.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1. HOU: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M. I'm with Mitch here; Manziel has the chance to be an iconic player. I think that Clowney is the best player in the draft, and will be the best defensive player to come out in years, but Manziel has superstar QB potential. I'm definitely a believer in his mojo, I just think he has a tremendous natural feel for the game in the same sense that Russell Wilson does. Manziel will be better than Russell Wilson because I think he has better tools (bigger, better arm, better runner).

WTF? Wilson has a better arm than Manziel. Wilson is thicker and better built than Manziel. Wilson runs and avoids hits while Manziel runs and takes hits, not sure how that makes Manziel a better runner.

More to the point, Wilson is a better decision maker than Manziel and more mature.

So, you think the player who is less mature, takes more risks, and takes more hits is going to be better than the player who is more mature, takes less risks and takes less hits? How does that even make sense? In a league that is focused on limiting turnovers, staying healthy and keeping away from negative press, you want the guy who does none of those things?

This is similar non-sense to those who were preaching that RGIII had a higher ceiling than Luck, and those that bought into Tebow the "winner". Manziel is going to have his moments but they will not last. He is small and he takes hits. He struggles in structured offenses and takes huge gambles in the passing game. He is a less athletic Michael Vick. I seriously wonder if he will ever have less than 15 turnovers in a season unless it is because he can never stay healthy for a full one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I keep reading that Cards are very high on AJ McCarron who has some escapability and does not have a big vertical arm.Why not Bridgewater who has the same game manager skills and the same good arm just not great vertical arm? So what`s the difference in the two?Bridgewater getting dumped on by the lemmings while a semi-non entity like Tom Savage gets slobbered over like a 10 dollar *****.

Sometimes, it's just a certain sense a GM and HC have about the player---like the Seahawks had with Russell Wilson. Then it requires faith and commitment.

Like you, I find the interest in McCarron curious. Sometimes I think the whole deep ball aspect is way over-blown, especially seeing as teams generally throw deep 3-4 times a game at a less than 40% rate.

The game has become a quick passing frenzy designed to exploit mismatches. If you have a QB who get made quick reads and get the ball out on time, you've got a good chance to move the sticks. See Kurt Warner---while he wasn't mobile, he was a quick decision maker and did all he could to buy every last second of time when needed.

In the Pats' case, they believe the shortest distance between two points in a straight line, which is why they focus so much of their passing game in exploiting the middle of the field in three waves: slot WR, TE, then RB.

What I think BASK may question is Carson Palmer's ability to make quick reads and to pass decisively. He did improve the second half of the season, but that also came with BA toning down the deep passes and now including the RBs much more in the passing schemes. Interestingly, Carson seems to struggle with shorter passes---which is why the offense didn't convert third downs as often as they could have.

One of the reasons why I think Derek Carr is high on the Cardinals' board is that he has the big arm and yet the quick passing talent to go with it. I think the quick decision making is also what they like in McCarron. And I imagine they like the same ability in Jimmy Garoppolo, David Fales and Tahj Boyd.

Watching Zach Mettenberger the other day, his short to intermediate passing game was much improved under Cam Cameron. But for him this is still a work in progress.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard