If you think we should move on from Kyler then answer this...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Cap maneuverability is easy. I've said numerous times, the cap has NEVER kept a team from signing/retaining a player they wanted to have on their roster.
The cap is a reason to cut players they don't want to pay or don't think are worth the money they're asking.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maye has been meh for his hype. Caleb has the fear of a guy thinking he's got it made before he does.
While this is true, you still can’t discount how much of a crapshoot drafting a QB is.

Herbert & Allen were meh for their hype.

Mahomes was deemed as wreckless & raw.

Lawerence was deemed “generational” & has been just….good.

Hell, Stroud was getting talked about a Goff-esque prospect. High floor, but low ceiling.

Honestly, getting the right OC is way more important than even most still believe.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The alternative is, you spend all your draft capital and FA money vastly improving the roster. Give Kyler a year with an an actual offseason to improve in the scheme and then worse case move on a year later, only eat $33m in dead money and bring in a new QB with a roster with actual talent on it.
Thus setting us back an extra year. It's a conundrum, because moving on will probably be good sense, and taking the hit/being bad next year worth it, but I don't like the top QBs. If you wait a year, and Kyler sucks, then you're starting all over in 2025, putting us at 2026 before we realistically compete.

Stout

Reaction score
Because money is winning. Obvs. Ain't nobody winning with badly managed rosters and cap space.
That's why my new jersey is called Cap Space. Ain't nobody winning with unused cap space. At a certain point, it has to ALL be used and used well. And you have to use creative accounting to push that cap space, not use Bidwillian approaches to eat up cap space quickly and save money. That is a recipe for losing.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While this is true, you still can’t discount how much of a crapshoot drafting a QB is.

Herbert & Allen were meh for their hype.

Mahomes was deemed as wreckless & raw.

Lawerence was deemed “generational” & has been just….good.

Hell, Stroud was getting talked about a Goff-esque prospect. High floor, but low ceiling.

Honestly, getting the right OC is way more important than even most still believe.
You're not wrong. I thought CJ Stroud would be "good Geno" and he's looking closer to Burrow.

Im just saying or at least understanding why just restarting at QB allows it to grow correctly.

Maybe its draft MHJ and draft Penix with the Texans pick, flip Kyler for another pick, etc.

And to your OC point. My biggest fear was Deshaun Watson coming off a layoff and getting in the Browns system suddenly looking washed. Sure he's got demons, etc. However, he looks like a square peg in a round hole in Cleveland. In some ways Kyler looks the same.

I dont see us changing OC's so for Gannon's sake its about which QB, Kyler or draftee, can make it work.

Stout

Reaction score
You're not wrong. I thought CJ Stroud would be "good Geno" and he's looking closer to Burrow.

Im just saying or at least understanding why just restarting at QB allows it to grow correctly.

Maybe its draft MHJ and draft Penix with the Texans pick, flip Kyler for another pick, etc.

And to your OC point. My biggest fear was Deshaun Watson coming off a layoff and getting in the Browns system suddenly looking washed. Sure he's got demons, etc. However, he looks like a square peg in a round hole in Cleveland. In some ways Kyler looks the same.

I dont see us changing OC's so for Gannon's sake its about which QB, Kyler or draftee, can make it work.
I would 100 percent be down for this scenario, or one similar to it with a decent QB prospect at the Texan's pick.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hey gang, Brit is only asking everyone to be patient through four straight god awful seasons.

Last season
This season
Next season if kyler stinks
Rookie QB season (stroud season kinda an outlier)
Gonna be like SDS in that stadium here soon. Good thing they painted those seats red.

Stout

Reaction score
Uhhhh….

We can’t complain about Kyler’s durability then draft a guy with a much worse durability history.
I gotcha. I know nothing about Pennix as a QB, nor about any other than the so-called top two. That's why I said or someone similar. Basically, trade KM, take MHJ, and maybe draft a guy with the second 1st rounder.

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
Thinking draft

1a - QB?
1b - WR
2 - BPA DT, Edge
3 - OG
3 - BPA TE WR
3 - BPA DT, Edge, CB

I would double dip into WR, consider double dipping DT and draft a RB in round 4/5.

2025 need an OT....1 more year of hump? Trade KM for 2025 1st rounder. Is that the equivalent of a 2nd rounder this draft?

Target a OG, DT in free agency - I don't know this seems reasonable, we have too many positions to upgrade.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thus setting us back an extra year. It's a conundrum, because moving on will probably be good sense, and taking the hit/being bad next year worth it, but I don't like the top QBs. If you wait a year, and Kyler sucks, then you're starting all over in 2025, putting us at 2026 before we realistically compete.
It’s not always the top two college QB’s turn out the best. Any thoughts on QB’s that we could draft in the 2nd round that might be able to start in this league.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i'm disappointed in what I am seeing from Murray in the last two game especially after a nice first game against Atlanta. There are five more games left so I will wait until the season is finished to make judgment on what we should do with him. :shrug:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was reading this thread and about to chime in with the concept that we maybe use the Texans pick to grab a QB, or our 2nd round pick, just as insurance or to challenge Kyler... but I see it's already been noted.

I'm loaded with indecision about going for a QB with #1/2/whatever we get, because I want MHJ bad. Like, bad enough to send a pick to the Bears to move up to #1.

Stout

Reaction score
i'm disappointed in what I am seeing from Murray in the last two game especially after a nice first game against Atlanta. There are five more games left so I will wait until the season is finished to make judgment on what we should do with him. :shrug:
Really good take here. All of this is just reaction to what we're seeing in the moment. If he turns it around, he'll turn the conversation around.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was reading this thread and about to chime in with the concept that we maybe use the Texans pick to grab a QB, or our 2nd round pick, just as insurance or to challenge Kyler... but I see it's already been noted.

I'm loaded with indecision about going for a QB with #1/2/whatever we get, because I want MHJ bad. Like, bad enough to send a pick to the Bears to move up to #1.
Or maybe we offer the bears Kyler, next year's secon, and a third this year for that first pick.... then get a QB and MHJ...
They probably don't do it...but we can offer.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Or maybe we offer the bears Kyler, next year's secon, and a third this year for that first pick.... then get a QB and MHJ...
They probably don't do it...but we can offer.
Yeah, I don't see the point in doing that. They already have the equivalent of Kyler in Fields, but cheaper.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Overthecap has us with $64 million in cap space (which they say includes rollovers).

Greg Dortch will also be under contract if we want to keep him.

Cut or trade Budda Baker and you get $14.6 million in additional cap space.

You can extend The Captain for 2 years and open up to $10 million in additional space.

You can ask Zach Ertz to take a cut on his insane $8 million 2024 salary.

There's plenty of money if you don't want to prioritize winning for another season but still support a young QB with offensive line and weapons like Conner. The defense doesn't have to matter for another year.
Agreed- there is money to made elsewhere. If he isn’t the guy would rather just bite the bullet

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The alternative is, you spend all your draft capital and FA money vastly improving the roster. Give Kyler a year with an an actual offseason to improve in the scheme and then worse case move on a year later, only eat $33m in dead money and bring in a new QB with a roster with actual talent on it.

Who and how are they going to get this brand new QB after passing on one at the top of the draft this year?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who and how are they going to get this brand new QB after passing on one at the top of the draft this year?
Trade some of their bounty of 2024 picks for a #1 in 2025, then use their two #1s in 2025 to move up to the top of the round? :shrug:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I want to see the rest of the season, but at this point I’m not ready to give up on Murray. IMO perhaps for the first time he‘s actually getting some firm coaching and he’s making a serious effort to follow it. It’s hard to imagine how hard it must be to change stuff that’s worked for you for years. He’s struggling in his own mind. Give him time. If he’s still struggling at year’s end, maybe the changes are too much for him. If they can turn him into the QB he could be, they win big!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson