If there's one thing Suns fans can be proud of...

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
...it's our medical staff.

This is a pretty damning article about the Blazers' medical staff: http://zigsports.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/greg-oden-brandon-roy-what-what-happened/

From Greg Oden’s Report of Findings September 24, 2008:

Based upon the analysis, our recommendation is the following:

• Increase Overall Hamstring Strength
• Increase R hamstring and Glute Strength
• Improve R leg explosiveness
• Increase L Gastroc, Soleus, Glute, Hamstring and Quad Flexibility
•Consider a more efficient shoe designed to lift the entire foot to improve normal leg stride.

In Greg’s case, every exercise or target area needing improvement on his list required slow, yet focused repetitions. If Greg was asked to walk, run, squat or jump, he placed more of the load on his left leg than his weaker right leg. I informed the medical staff that this overload would put Greg at risk for a major acute injury to his left leg. Greg’s imbalance was so distinct that I even advised that staff that if he didn’t improve the weaknesses in the short-term and continue some of the rehab-like exercises for the entire season, his career could be at risk.

And you can believe it or not, but the medical staff laughed off my recommendations. In fact, we spent nearly two hours at dinner with the medical staff questioning my results and looking for reasons to discredit the results rather than search for solutions to keep the team’s multimillion dollar athlete on the court. At one point, one member of the medical staff informed me that Greg suffered from a true anatomical leg length shortness on the right side. As a result of that diagnosis, Greg had been prescribed, by physicians, to wear a heel lift in his right shoe. Well doc, I hate to be the one to tell you again, but the heel lift actually increases the load and the amount of anterior/posterior shear (forward/backward sliding) on Greg’s right knee, contributing to his need to undergo several micro-fracture surgeries.

The results of Greg’s biomechanics assessments created doubt in my mind about the leg length claims. However, I suggested an alternative to a heel lift if they truly believed that a shorter right leg was a contributing factor to his knee injuries. The solution, for an athlete with Greg’s height and leg length, an entire shoe lift (orthopedic shoe on the right side) would reduce the sheer forces in the joint and keep Greg healthy while he continued the rehab.

You can imagine the laughter that filled the restaurant from the table. “No one wears a shoe lift,” one staffer replied. “That’s crazy. Where would we get one?” To which I replied, “Hey Nike is Greg’s shoe sponsor and they are right down the street. I’m sure they could customize a shoe lift for one of their star athletes if it keeps him healthy.” To my knowledge, no shoe lift was ordered for Greg.

If I were a Portland fan, I'd be livid right now, petitioning to get these clowns fired.

EDIT: The Suns' training staff is mentioned more than once in the comments.

Last edited:

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I found this part of the article interesting...

Brandon Roy’s “degenerative knees” can be healthy and he could play for 5-10 more years with the proper treatment.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The essay comes across as self-serving and thin on real evidence. I'd be inclined to take it with several grains of salt.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The essay comes across as self-serving and thin on real evidence. I'd be inclined to take it with several grains of salt.

I remember there being a lot of he said she said between the Blazers and this article when it came out. Doesn't help that the author has had all sorts of legal problems with fraud.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously. We ought to offer free rehab treatment for Roy and Oden in exchange for first crack at signing them if they get better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Seriously. We ought to offer free rehab treatment for Roy and Oden in exchange for first crack at signing them if they get better.

This might be the easiest way for the Suns to get a star player, rehabbing an injured player that has star potential.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The only problem is from the standpoint of all the vets we have had before the medical staff had something to work with. I think Roy is bone to bone and no amount of rehab can fix that.

Oden....maybe and it's a big maybe that you can even keep the guy healthy no matter how strong he is.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't buy the hype surrounding our medical staff.

In the end injury prone players are injury prone players. I find it hard to believe that Greg Oden would have been healthy here. We couldn't prevent Amare's injuries either.

Steve Nash is doing fine because he puts a lot of work in himself including his diet.

Also the whole "fixed Grant Hill" idea. It might just simply be that his foot injury healed. He was rarely injured before that.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy the hype surrounding our medical staff.

In the end injury prone players are injury prone players. I find it hard to believe that Greg Oden would have been healthy here. We couldn't prevent Amare's injuries either.

Steve Nash is doing fine because he puts a lot of work in himself including his diet.

Also the whole "fixed Grant Hill" idea. It might just simply be that his foot injury healed. He was rarely injured before that.

I don't think they can fix every injury. Like someone pointed out they aren't going to fix Brandon Roy. However they have a pretty impressive track record.

Off the top of my head...

Grant Hill
Antonio McDyess
Michael Redd
Steve Nash
Shaquille O'Neal

All of these guys were perpetually injured and then played well and stayed relatively healthy under this training staff.

Joe

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still would love to see them try. Roy should have been a great player for years to come.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
See, the thing about this is that the training staff is only one half of the equation. The player has to be motivated and committed which is sometimes not the case. Idk when the current staff came on board, but they've been almost universally praised since Grant got here.