If not Lamb, Who?

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If not Lamb who ? The center Creed Humpreys , The middle of our O-Line needs help in a big way !

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You guys missed the most obvious comparison, though I believe comparisons often mislead & cause confusion. I think Fitz is the best comp. They’re about the same speed & height. Fitz is heavier, but CeeDee will add more muscle. Both have great hands and body control. They also both excel at YAC. Their most important shared quality is that both believe constant improvement is the key part of the job. Someone above mentioned press coverage. That was a problem for Lamb, but last offseason he did a significant amount of strength conditioning and it’s not believed to be a big issue any longer. Getting Lamb with Fitz as a mentor would keep Fitz around and boost Lamb. The are no guarantees Lamb equals Fitz, but he’s the closest I’ve seen in recent years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys missed the most obvious comparison, though I believe comparisons often mislead & cause confusion. I think Fitz is the best comp. They’re about the same speed & height. Fitz is heavier, but CeeDee will add more muscle. Both have great hands and body control. They also both excel at YAC. Their most important shared quality is that both believe constant improvement is the key part of the job. Someone above mentioned press coverage. That was a problem for Lamb, but last offseason he did a significant amount of strength conditioning and it’s not believed to be a big issue any longer. Getting Lamb with Fitz as a mentor would keep Fitz around and boost Lamb. The are no guarantees Lamb equals Fitz, but he’s the closest I’ve seen in recent years.

Fitzgerald and Lamb are the exact opposite type of player. The only thing they have in common is they play WR. Fitz was always regarded as a big strong go up and get it jump ball type while Lamb is more shifty and speedy.

the whole Fitz will mentor him thing is funny to me. How many times have guys said that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is one of those "it just makes too much sense" things. The Cards need to surround Murray with weapons. Murray is familiar with Lamb. The Cards need to replace Fitz. Lamb is an elite talent.
I feel like I have seen how this plays out...we get a decent QB, and instead of upgrading our people to protect them, we give them more weapons which still leads them to getting the crap kicked out of them, getting injured, and shortening our window.#PlummerWarnerPalmer

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Fitzgerald and Lamb are the exact opposite type of player. The only thing they have in common is they play WR. Fitz was always regarded as a big strong go up and get it jump ball type while Lamb is more shifty and speedy.

the whole Fitz will mentor him thing is funny to me. How many times have guys said that.
I’m not sure where you’re getting Lamb is fast. Speed is some people’s knock on him. He likely runs 4.45 to 4.55. Forget the people who think Fitz ran 4.65. He was clocked at 4.5 on several occasions. As to shifty, I’d say that describes Fitz whose strength is often YAC. As to strength, Fitz is unquestionably stronger, but Lamb has moved this forward in the last year by focused training. Both have the seldom seen ability to contort their bodies when covered to make a play. I know Fitz has mentored several guys, but none more talented than Lamb.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’m not sure where you’re getting Lamb is fast. Speed is some people’s knock on him. He likely runs 4.45 to 4.55. Forget the people who think Fitz ran 4.65. He was clocked at 4.5 on several occasions. As to shifty, I’d say that describes Fitz whose strength is often YAC. As to strength, Fitz is unquestionably stronger, but Lamb has moved this forward in the last year by focused training. Both have the seldom seen ability to contort their bodies when covered to make a play. I know Fitz has mentored several guys, but none more talented than Lamb.
The only other high draft pick that Fitz mentored was Floyd and he was looking quite promising early on. He ended up fizzling out more so due to off field issues than on.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The only other high draft pick that Fitz mentored was Floyd and he was looking quite promising early on. He ended up fizzling out more so due to off field issues than on.
I'd argue Fitz is less of a positional mentor than a mentor on how to play the game, and maintain your body. He's not a coach on the field, just doing his thing and showing younger generations how to prepare week in and week out. Kirk even acknowledged it in an interview.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Agreed. The comp seems a bit silly.

There are some similarities in the sense they have excellent route and ball skills but they’re built different and play differently.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Mike Evans is like 6'5. Lamb is 6'2"

Lamb lacks elite top end speed and is more of a fluid route runner / receiver. He is very strong and a great blocker. I see a bigger Stefon Diggs. Some say D'Andre Hopkins but that is a crazy comparison
What you just described is not diggs. Diggs is not a great route runner or blocker. He’s mire straight line speed. Diggs is a terrible comp for lamb.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What you just described is not diggs. Diggs is not a great route runner or blocker. He’s mire straight line speed. Diggs is a terrible comp for lamb.
Um, no.

Diggs is arguably the best RR in the league & that is acknowledged by a lot of people. Stop & go, vertical, slant, post, curl, etc he can do it all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You have to be thinking of someone else.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Thoughts on Wirfs then Tee Higgins as the first two picks? @Chopper0080
On face value, I like it. I think Higgins is a first rounder in most years. I also won't be shocked if Laviska Shenault is there in round 2 as well who I think would be an amazing fit in our offense.

I believe we need to take advantage of a stacked WR class. I also think we have a ton of holes to fill on our roster. It is one reason I do like the idea of trading back in round 1 if we can add more top 75 picks.

My round 1 board right now is (in no particular order)...

Jerry Jeudy
CeeDee Lamb
Andrew Thomas
Tristan Wirfs
Jedrick Wills
Tyler Biadasz
Creed Humphrey
Derrick Brown
AJ Epenesa
Javon Kinlaw
Chase Young
K'Lavon Chaisson
Isiaiah Simmons
Jeffery Okudah
Kristian Fulton
Grant Delpit

...that is 16 players and some who I would only take if trading back in the draft. Ruggs isn't on this list because I feel like I need to see more of him. My perception of him at this point is that he is a little too one dimensional for a first rounder.

Prior to FA, I am comfortable with all of these players in round 1. Again, some come with the caveat that I would trade down, add a pick, and select them. A prime example of this would be Grant Delpit.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
It just boggles the mind that people are wanting a WR in RD 1.This team has too many other needs that should be priorities IMHO.Defense duh.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Thought I’d jump in on this one. Higgins is a little too similar to Butler for my money. Certainly Higgins is better but he’s not in Lamb’s class, so I think he’s just one more WR that needs work. If the Cards pass on Lamb and Higgins is there in round 2 they could do worse, but he won’t likely have the year one impact of Lamb. I want that impact for Murray.

Wirfs is a real puzzle. He’s got it all. Quick feet, strong hands, and he’s smart. He’s equally effective both pass & run blocking. My concern is he’s a nice guy, maybe too nice. There have been some good tackles who weren’t mean but many of them didn’t become dominant. It’s hard to pass a player like him, but he scares me.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It just boggles the mind that people are wanting a WR in RD 1.This team has too many other needs that should be priorities IMHO.Defense duh.
I just want impact players in round 1. If the best player available is a WR than I am all for it. Never pass on elite talent to reach for a more pressing need.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I just want impact players in round 1. If the best player available is a WR than I am all for it. Never pass on elite talent to reach for a more pressing need.
The "elite talent" is going to be a skill position player 99% of the time. We've gotta invest in the lines sometime. Lamb won't be very exciting to watch when it's Brett Hundley throwing to him.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

.With the defensive impact players likely available in the top 10 Cards would be total ********* to go WR again.If its close between as defensive guy or a WR as a RD 1 type impact player you need to go defense IMO.All the bitching this year about KM did his thing and the defense let us down mantra counts for jackshit if the Cards screw around and draft a WR in RD 1.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
With the defensive impact players likely available in the top 10 Cards would be total ********* to go WR again.If its close between as defensive guy or a WR as a RD 1 type impact player you need to go defense IMO.All the bitching this year about KM did his thing and the defense let us down mantra counts for jackshit if the Cards screw around and draft a WR in RD 1
Okay and if a defensive or offensive line talent is on or at least close to the same level of the top receiver on the board than go for it.

I am not suggesting we should just draft a WR no matter what, but if he is without a doubt the best prospect on the board we should take him.

We have multiple other picks and $70m in free agency to fill needs with and thus we shouldn't reach in round 1 just because of a need.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Okay and if a defensive or offensive line talent is on or at least close to the same level of the top receiver on the board than go for it.

I am not suggesting we should just draft a WR no matter what, but if he is without a doubt the best prospect on the board we should take him.

We have multiple other picks and $70m in free agency to fill needs with and thus we shouldn't reach in round 1 just because of a need.
We have such a long way to go in this process that I don't want to belabor the point too much, any of these guys could be 2nd round picks after bad workouts or further analytics. We're just so bad at DL and OL that I can't envision drafting another WR. Especially with the risk that they turn into another Corey Davis/Mike Williams/John Ross like the last receivers picked in the top 10. All guys who have very little impact on their team but were supposed to be game changers.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

What worries me is how many of the Cards FA signings have really worked .Sure some have been good Veldheer,Hicks,Bert Berry etc...but a lot have been costly mistakes.70 million sounds like a lot but a couple high dollar deals and a roster with a lot of upgrades to fill will eat it up fairly quick.Everything is a crapshoot I know but I just don`t get all warm and fuzzy when Cards sign a expensive FA because I know that old Cardinal luck will throw a monkeywrench in there somewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson