I would trade Shelton and our Fifth for Henry! on one condition........

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we could get Henry to sign a contract comprable to what Shelton got..only for a running back in his position. I think Shelton is a wonderful deal for them. How much cheaper is Shelton compared to what LT's of comparable skills are getting? I don't know the numbers but lets say like 40% less. IF Henry gets less than 40% of his market value it's a deal! Although I know that will never happen that's why Shelton is at least worth their third. They just don't understand that though...

TheSnake4Life

Reaction score
I wouldnt give up a pick....i would make them give us a pick

Especially because of Shelton's $3mil contract, and the value he has on the market at this time

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would have to think Shelton is very comparable to JOnas Jennings.Neither was considered an elite LT but both were in the next tier.I can't believe that guy a 12 million dollar bonus.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
If anything Shelton's value has risen because Buffalo had to let Jennings go. So now they have no option at LT. The longer they wait, the higher the price goes.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Going from LJ for Henry and a 3rd rounder, to LJ and our 5th for Henry is a pretty extreme change I don't see Denny going for it. Denny want Henry and a 3rd, thats why the trade is on hold.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Going from LJ for Henry and a 3rd rounder, to LJ and our 5th for Henry is a pretty extreme change I don't see Denny going for it. Denny want Henry and a 3rd, thats why the trade is on hold.

But see the reason why I mentioned that is because we're not going to to get a Contract for Henry like we have for Shelton! That's what the Bills don't understand! Henry is going to want a lot of money after next year if we don't sign him to an extension and he plays well, he's probably asking for a lot now. It might be a better business decision just to draft a runningback, sign another back or just play Marcell. I mean what are we really getting in the Henry trade? A chance to sign him before others can? That's really all it is, especially if he doesn't want to play for his rookie contract right now...

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
TheSnake4Life said:
I wouldnt give up a pick....i would make them give us a pick

Especially because of Shelton's $3mil contract, and the value he has on the market at this time

I take it you didn't understand my point :confused:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Henry, with a new contract, and a 4th rounder for Shelton.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Henry, with a new contract, and a 4th rounder for Shelton.

I would give a fifth if we could get as good of a contract as we got for shelton but that won't happen.. I want a third if it's a normal contract...remember how good a team is often all about the cap...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't understand your logic. If the original deal was player for player straight up and then it was rumored the Cardinals were seeking a draft pick in addition to Henry why completely fold and give them a draft pick? :shrug:

I'm starting to believe this deal is completely dead anyway. It seems the Cardinals do not want to extend Henry but would rather him play out the year at his current contract and earn his money by producing for the Cardinals.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeno said:
I don't understand your logic. If the original deal was player for player straight up and then it was rumored the Cardinals were seeking a draft pick in addition to Henry why completely fold and give them a draft pick? :shrug:

That has me really confused also. Here is how it would look if this was someone buying a car:

Dealer: We are selling this car for $20,000
Buyer: All I can afford is $18,000
Dealer: The best we can do is $19,000
Buyer: It's a deal if I can get it for $21,000

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would give up a fifth round pick IF we could get Henry for a really cheap contract! That's Shelton's biggest value, his contract. What we're going to end up doing is signing Henry to a contract that is decent. He'll get probably a little less than market value if he is a free agent. Shelton is getting waaaayyy below market value. That's why he's worth an extra third round pick. Now if we could get Henry for a waaaaaay below market value I would be willing to give them a late round pick but we're not going to get him for that..see my logic?!

That's what the Bills and some of you guys don't seem to understand.. It's all about their contracts..if it wasn't we could just have signed Lamont Jordon and kept Shelton. Or sent Shelton to the bucs for their second round pick.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I would give up a fifth round pick IF we could get Henry for a really cheap contract!

So you want to reward the Bills for Henry taking it in the shorts? What's in it for Henry and why in the world would he agree to it?

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
That has me really confused also. Here is how it would look if this was someone buying a car:

Dealer: We are selling this car for $20,000
Buyer: All I can afford is $18,000
Dealer: The best we can do is $19,000
Buyer: It's a deal if I can get it for $21,000

no it's more like this

Cards:I'll give you Shelton for 3 mill a yr no signing bonus
Bills: ok I'll give you Henry, he wants 4 million a yr plus seven million signing bonus and a fifth round pick
Cards: I want a third round pick
Bills: not going to happen

Cards: Ok I'd be willing to give you our fifth round pick if you can get Henry to agree to a 2 million a yr deal with no signing bonus....
Bills: He won't agree to that

Cards: That's why we want a third round pick! You're getting Shelton for a great price..a lot better than we'll get Henry overall...

Do you understand now?!

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
So you want to reward the Bills for Henry taking it in the shorts? What's in it for Henry and why in the world would he agree to it?

He won't, that's why we should get a third or even a second for him...the Bills are arguing that it should be an even deal...this is why it's not..

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
no it's more like this

Cards:I'll give you Shelton for 3 mill a yr no signing bonus
Bills: ok I'll give you Henry, he wants 4 million a yr plus seven million signing bonus and a fifth round pick
Cards: I want a third round pick
Bills: not going to happen

Cards: Ok I'd be willing to give you our fifth round pick if you can get Henry to agree to a 2 million a yr deal with no signing bonus....

Cards: That's why we want a third round pick! You're getting Shelton for a great price..a lot better than we'll get Henry overall...

Do you understand now?!

Thats still a bad deal for us no matter how you put it. Plus a team can't force a player to sign a contract even if we throw in a 5th rounder.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
He won't, that's why we should get a third or even a second for him...the Bills are arguing that it should be an even deal...this is why it's not..

Well looking at the title it's a little confusing. I read it as you want to give Shelton and a 5th rounder. That didn't make any sense at all.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I would give up a fifth round pick IF we could get Henry for a really cheap contract!

The Bills have absolutely zero say in the size of Henry's contract. That would be negotiated by the Cardinals and Henry's agent, why award the Bills for our negotiating?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:

Except this part would never happen.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
Well looking at the title it's a little confusing. I read it as you want to give Shelton and a 5th rounder. That didn't make any sense at all.

I meant I would give a fifth if we could get a comprable contract to Shelton's but it won't happen... Shelton is the biggest steal you can get on the market right now. I think for what his contract is we should probably get the trade and a second round pick. I was just trying to show why a contract is important and makes a big difference in what the value of the player is.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Zeno said:
The Bills have absolutely zero say in the size of Henry's contract. That would be negotiated by the Cardinals and Henry's agent, why award the Bills for our negotiating?

Yeah I know..that's why we probably deserve a third or a second...all they are offering us is a disgruntled player with one yr on his contract..bascially a rent a player for one yr and Henry wants his contract torn up.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Yeah I know..that's why we probably deserve a third or a second...all they are offering us is a disgruntled player with one yr on his contract..bascially a rent a player for one yr and Henry wants his contract torn up.

Well if you would have posted a thread titled "Henry and a 3rd for Shelton" it probably would have made more sense.