I need to go camping

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spent the weekend overlanding. slept north of strawberry off of the rim Friday night and in Flag saturday night. On saturday, spent most the day at "batman cliffs" by clear creek near winslow. Amazing place with the most cliff jumping I have ever seen.

You must be registered for see images attach

I always wanted to fish that creek/lake more thoroughly. I stopped there once and caught a few bass where the water was moving but I was there for only for a few minutes.

I thought about buying a property at Starlight Pines on the rim (halfway between Pine and Winslow) but the closest primary town to drive to was Winslow so I changed my mind.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to fish that creek/lake more thoroughly. I stopped there once and caught a few bass where the water was moving but I was there for only for a few minutes.

I thought about buying a property at Starlight Pines on the rim (halfway between Pine and Winslow) but the closest primary town to drive to was Winslow so I changed my mind.
Yeah that town is pretty useless IMO. I stood in the corner because I had to but outside of that, no thanks

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I camp and sleep in my truck bed these days, overlanding setup with bare basics and ability to pack up in 5 minutes and explore cool places vs posting up in one spot for a few days. loving it. Stopped at batman cliffs and went cliff jumping for my sons bday on sunday. The forum says my gif of us cliff jumping has too big of a file size so none of those will be shown =P

and yes, we stopped and stood on the corner again

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I camp and sleep in my truck bed these days, overlanding setup with bare basics and ability to pack up in 5 minutes and explore cool places vs posting up in one spot for a few days. loving it. Stopped at batman cliffs and went cliff jumping for my sons bday on sunday. The forum says my gif of us cliff jumping has too big of a file size so none of those will be shown =P

and yes, we stopped and stood on the corner again

That's funny. I stopped sleeping in my truck because I wasn't mobile enough. But when I make camp it's a set up. I just wanted to be able to drive somewhere without having to take down my tent.

I have never stood on that corner in Winslow. Not sure I have ever stopped there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny. I stopped sleeping in my truck because I wasn't mobile enough. But when I make camp it's a set up. I just wanted to be able to drive somewhere without having to take down my tent.

I have never stood on that corner in Winslow. Not sure I have ever stopped there.

There isn't much reason to stop there unless you go to batman cliffs. It's not much of a town.

My camp is amazingly limited. I'll have to take pictures of my setup. My kitchen is a coleman grill and a milk crate of supplies. Then I have a sleeping pad and bag, a folding chair, a tupperware of knives, ropes and lighting and then a 7 gallon water jug

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
There isn't much reason to stop there unless you go to batman cliffs. It's not much of a town.

My camp is amazingly limited. I'll have to take pictures of my setup. My kitchen is a coleman grill and a milk crate of supplies. Then I have a sleeping pad and bag, a folding chair, a tupperware of knives, ropes and lighting and then a 7 gallon water jug

Even my grill is big. 2 burner Camp Chef stove. Runs off a 5lb propane tank. I figure if I am car camping I can take whatever I want. The downside is that if I am not going for 2 nights it's not worth it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so this thread has been neglected but I'm still consistently out. This weekend was prescott, camping on mingus, hanging out in jerome and sedona, camping on top of oak creek canyon and then a hike through the lava tubes in flag.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Wow, nice pictures. I need to check out those lava tubes.

I was in Prescott this weekend too. Lynx lake. We love that area. Went on a 3 hour gravel bike ride way back thru Walker and passed Hassayampa lake. Lynx lake is even more fun now that they allow swimming.

Next up is Show Low in two weeks.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was in Prescott this weekend too. Lynx lake. We love that area. Went on a 3 hour gravel bike ride way back thru Walker and passed Hassayampa lake. Lynx lake is even more fun now that they allow swimming.

the lava tubes are well worth it. Plan to be inside for 1-2 hours if you stop and hang out like we did. I also recommend turning off your headlamps together once deep in it and no flashlights are nearby. Itll be the darkest dark you have ever seen.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't know they started to allow swimming. Very cool!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We booked a few nights at the KOA in Flag this summer. My family camped when I was young. My grandparents had a camper, the small kind you hitch up to your pickup. We went to the local campground that had a lake and was about 15 minutes from our house. Nothing primitive about it, but that was fine by us. We liked getting ice cream at the shop each night.

Once I moved to AZ, I did a lot of primitive camping with my friends up on the Rim and at Seven Springs and Apache Lake. Those were good times. Haven't been camping in probably 8 years.

This will be my daughter's first camping trip. She's been wanting to go since she's seen it on Paw Patrol and Bluey. I think she'll be bummed about no camp fire, but we'll bring the propane grill. Looking forward to seeing the stars.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
We booked a few nights at the KOA in Flag this summer. My family camped when I was young. My grandparents had a camper, the small kind you hitch up to your pickup. We went to the local campground that had a lake and was about 15 minutes from our house. Nothing primitive about it, but that was fine by us. We liked getting ice cream at the shop each night.

Once I moved to AZ, I did a lot of primitive camping with my friends up on the Rim and at Seven Springs and Apache Lake. Those were good times. Haven't been camping in probably 8 years.

This will be my daughter's first camping trip. She's been wanting to go since she's seen it on Paw Patrol and Bluey. I think she'll be bummed about no camp fire, but we'll bring the propane grill. Looking forward to seeing the stars.
Sounds awesome. If you want a campfire you could look into a portable propane fire pit. They're still allowed when traditional camp fires are banned. We got one from costco for $75. Not as good as the real thing, but better than nothing.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. If you want a campfire you could look into a portable propane fire pit. They're still allowed when traditional camp fires are banned. We got one from costco for $75. Not as good as the real thing, but better than nothing.

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
prepping for some knoll lake this weekend ;)

Got some new sweet LED lanterns since I broke my gas lantern offroading. Needed something more bump safe.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@MrYeahbut Might be camping NM with the misses next weekend. Been looking for an excuse to go there, buy fireworks and eat green chile. probably be hitting you up for some suggestions. Basically arrive friday night, sleep in the woods, do stuff all day saturday and head home sunday so not lots of time. I see the rio grande is there so assume I could hang at a river. I intend to see some local architecture, check out downtown areas or etc maybe but also see some awesome outdoor stuff. Albuquerque seems to be about5 hours away and sante fe an extra hour so I thought we may just be in Alb this time.

Suggestions for cool outdoors stuff, preferrably with water? spots on the rio verde? etc
Bomb, fresh, local true NM food with heat to it?

Ill probably come back and I wouldnt mind being there for the hatch festival sometime.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few pics from our two nights at the KOA in Flag. Went to Bearizona and the Grand Canyon Deer Farm. Met a nice family from Phoenix and our kids played together. Didn't get much sleep, but had fun. Chloe had a blast and wants to camp again soon.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few pics from our two nights at the KOA in Flag. Went to Bearizona and the Grand Canyon Deer Farm. Met a nice family from Phoenix and our kids played together. Didn't get much sleep, but had fun. Chloe had a blast and wants to camp again soon.

Great pics! She's getting big!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That Deer farm is a blast! Beautiful little girl you guys made there.