I need to go camping

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, I thought of you the other day while hiking and was wondering how the peak trekking is going. Meant to ressurect the thread but forgot all about it.

I haven't had much of a chance these few months. I did venture out to the Chiricahuas last week (mainly to see a rare bird) but did some hiking along the Morse Canyon Trail

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had much of a chance these few months. I did venture out to the Chiricahuas last week (mainly to see a rare bird) but did some hiking along the Morse Canyon Trail
I saw a ton of unique birds while in showlow for a few nights. Thought to myself "Jon would know wtf that is"

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk courtesy of puckhead

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a ton of unique birds while in showlow for a few nights. Thought to myself "Jon would know wtf that is"

I am sure I would...

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about taking our first camping trip this Saturday up to Williams. Just one night to test the waters with Chloe. Only thing is the low is 39 degrees overnight on Saturday. We are tent camping. Chris and Chloe like it cold. (The kid still does not use a blanket hardly ever.) We have an air mattress to keep us off the ground, sleeping bags, and heavy blankets that we have designated for camping. Thoughts?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about taking our first camping trip this Saturday up to Williams. Just one night to test the waters with Chloe. Only thing is the low is 39 degrees overnight on Saturday. We are tent camping. Chris and Chloe like it cold. (The kid still does not use a blanket hardly ever.) We have an air mattress to keep us off the ground, sleeping bags, and heavy blankets that we have designated for camping. Thoughts?

If you get a double cot that holds a queen air mattress, you won't regret it. The ground is cold and the bed on the ground will get cold if it's a standard bed.

A good sleeping bag matters though.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Horton creek Today. 8 miles round trip. Great day. Anyone know what this white tree is?
You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like an Arizona Sycamore based on the trunk
Boom! Googled it and I believe you're right. Saw about 3 in one concentrated area along the Creek trail. Stood out like sore thumbs.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Two things: 1. If you’re in NF, be advised that there was a campfire ban in effect. It was Covid related, so they may have lifted it. Check the latest order from the ranger.

2. high thirties are completely doable. What are the EN ratings on your bags?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things: 1. If you’re in NF, be advised that there was a campfire ban in effect. It was Covid related, so they may have lifted it. Check the latest order from the ranger.

2. high thirties are completely doable. What are the EN ratings on your bags?

campfire bans fully in place. Fire danger too high

Dozens of human caused fires this weekend. Expect hundreds next weekend. Forests need to be closed completely until Monsoon. People are too freaking stupid to have nice things

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Insulation only works when it's not compressed. So when you are in your sleeping bag and crushing the insulation beneath you it isnt working as well. Maybe a sleeping pad even some extra blankets for you to sleep on top of (seems backwards right) will help.

I hammock camp and use an under quilt. Basically a blanket that hangs under the hammock. It was a game changer for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice area. Have you ever hiked down to Horton Springs from there? Short but brutal descent to a lovely spring.

I have hiked Horton 6 or 7 times but never from the rim. I have been curious though each time I reach the spring about continuing north up the rim.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a spring I found by knoll

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
just spent thurs-sunday up by knoll lake. Was great to get away.
I love it back in there.

We were at Fool Hollow Lake in Show Low last wed-mon. Was supposed to race a couple of triathlons up there but they were obviously canceled. We went anyway and just hung out at the lake.

Heading out for a 1 night backpacking hike in the morning from Thatcher. Not exactly sure where as I’m just tagging along.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it back in there.

We were at Fool Hollow Lake in Show Low last wed-mon. Was supposed to race a couple of triathlons up there but they were obviously canceled. We went anyway and just hung out at the lake.

Heading out for a 1 night backpacking hike in the morning from Thatcher. Not exactly sure where as I’m just tagging along.
I went to fool hollow for the first time last month, nice little lake. We had a cabin about 10 minutes west of showlow for the weekend. It's a bummer they have it so developed and charge so much to visit the lake though.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I went to fool hollow for the first time last month, nice little lake. We had a cabin about 10 minutes west of showlow for the weekend. It's a bummer they have it so developed and charge so much to visit the lake though.

Not sure what they charge for the day pass, but yeah the campsites are a bit pricey. Really nice spots though.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what they charge for the day pass, but yeah the campsites are a bit pricey. Really nice spots though.

it was like $10 just to get in. I was just stopping by to see the damn lake lol. since they charged me, I made sure to walk a lot of it and have the kids swim

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Trying to convince my wife that a drive to Yellowstone & the Tetons would make for a great two weeks in September.

PA to Ystone is quite the haul!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spent the weekend overlanding. slept north of strawberry off of the rim Friday night and in Flag saturday night. On saturday, spent most the day at "batman cliffs" by clear creek near winslow. Amazing place with the most cliff jumping I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave