I need to go camping

Reaction score
Ended up going to Aztec Peak...tried to get near the top but the road was impassable by snow. Not just me but the tire tracks I was driving in stopped and I couldn't get any further then the rest.

Doubled back and ended up staying in a spot on Reynolds Creek. Everything was swollen from the recent rain and snow runoff. I only saw a couple of people camping and didn't see a single person once I made camp.

Had almost no cell service....almost. Got a text on Sunday that one of my assistants was sick with fever and chest congestion so I had to load up a day early. That sucked more then I can explain but my boss promised me an extra couple days off next month.

I will say that sleeping in a hammock is some of the best nights sleep I have had camping as an adult. (Sleeping on the ground as a kid isnt a problem)

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I always take a cot now when I camp. It fits perfectly in my small tent & is way more comfortable than the ground. Nice set up & spot Hollywood.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I always take a cot now when I camp. It fits perfectly in my small tent & is way more comfortable than the ground. Nice set up & spot Hollywood.
Thanks. I could never get into cots. To flat and narrow. But maybe with a foam pad. I might have to look into the double cots and see if it might encourage my wife to come with me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I could never get into cots. To flat and narrow. But maybe with a foam pad. I might have to look into the double cots and see if it might encourage my wife to come with me.

I have a double cot, it's not a ton different but I find it very comfortable. Also, yeah, a thermarest on top makes it even better

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
I'm a huge hammock camping fan these days for sure
I am still learning the nuances of it. Took me a while to find trees and need to get better at when and how to use my cover tarp. I basically had a wind tunnel this trip and don't think I even needed it this trip even though it was cold.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Getting into the start of camping season and I'm seriously wondering whether I can even go out camping.

It's not the camping part; it's the getting there and back. There's almost always a supply run and several refuels.

But I'd love to get out of this house for 4 days and just go be in the woods.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
I think I am going to try and make up for my last trip being cut short at the end of the month. Trying to make it a 5 day trip and go further then normal.

Thinking Alpine but the Grand Canyon just popped into my mind....but I think I heard they closed the park.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing tonto is closed down. Sitgreaves says it is closed down but a friend was at a lake there yesterday.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
I'm hearing tonto is closed down. Sitgreaves says it is closed down but a friend was at a lake there yesterday.
Tonto's website says it open to dispersed camping. I think its just the established campgrounds and public toilets that are closed. I would imagine Sitgreaves is similar.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonto's website says it open to dispersed camping. I think its just the established campgrounds and public toilets that are closed. I would imagine Sitgreaves is similar.
That's good news. I'd like to go out camping in late april

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
That's good news. I'd like to go out camping in late april

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
It's a done deal for me. I already took the last weekend in April off. Friday, Monday and Tuesday. I dont think I have ever been on a 5 day camping trip....definitely havent as an adult.

Just need to decide where to go.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Read the NFS orders. Usually (from what I've seen) only camping areas are closed. Dispersed camping is open.

If you have doubts, contact the local ranger/PAO (public affairs officer, who can get you the answers you need by going to the top) for clarification.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Read the NFS orders. Usually (from what I've seen) only camping areas are closed. Dispersed camping is open.

If you have doubts, contact the local ranger/PAO (public affairs officer, who can get you the answers you need by going to the top) for clarification.
I've seen the same thing. I was thinking about going over to the Alpine area but I have only been there once before. I am wondering if I should go somewhere I am more familiar with. I have only been the the Apache-Sitgreves NF the one time.

Open to suggestions if anyone has some.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've seen the same thing. I was thinking about going over to the Alpine area but I have only been there once before. I am wondering if I should go somewhere I am more familiar with. I have only been the the Apache-Sitgreves NF the one time.

Open to suggestions if anyone has some.

In AZ, I’ve only been to Mingus and to the Coconinos outside of Williams. Highly recommend the Coconinos for dispersed camping.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Just a forest. There are some lakes up there off of forest roads.
Gotcha. A few trips ago I was looking at maps of the William's area but for some reason I never went. I remember there being more then a few lakes up there.

I will start looking around that area again. Any specific lakes that you remember?

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Gotcha. A few trips ago I was looking at maps of the William's area but for some reason I never went. I remember there being more then a few lakes up there.

I will start looking around that area again. Any specific lakes that you remember?

Sorry, missed this. I didn't go to a lake next time, hope to go next time when they lift the campfire restrictions.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm heading back to Circleville Mountain tomorrow. It will be cold, but it is necessary at this point

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose