I hate to say it but at this point Kyler just isn’t that good...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's struggling but that's because this offense is extremely limited by Kliff's play calling. It's super easy to defend against.

Defend outside the hashes in short to intermediate. Linebackers don't have to worry about passes to the middle as Kyler can't see them so use then to plug rushing lanes.

There's simply not enough variety in the passing game. Its plain to see.

If you get up 10+ Kliff's play calling gets even worse and the game is over.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Russell Wilson may have set the bar for how short you can be and still be an effective NFL QB. If Murray is lacking field vision like this next season, we may have seen the experiment fail. As much as I dislike Brady Quinn as an announcer, he hinted at this last week. Five foot 11 may be the lowest you can go without being at an insurmountable obstacle. And linemen ain’t getting any smaller
Giving Murray 5’10 is generous. He’s not even that tall.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I’m still not buying the initial take. I’ve never been on board with the Kliff hiring & this offense has its faults.

Dinking & dunking play calls by Kliff are not going to ignite an offense. I still believe Kyler is a star.

If I’m Keim I’m still knocking at Lincoln Riley’s door every offseason! I think his offense is more diverse & translates to the NFL game more, plus it wins. That’s what Murray needs

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m still not buying the initial take. I’ve never been on board with the Kliff hiring & this offense has its faults.

Dinking & dunking play calls by Kliff are not going to ignite an offense. I still believe Kyler is a star.

If I’m Keim I’m still knocking at Lincoln Riley’s door every offseason! I think his offense is more diverse & translates to the NFL game more, plus it wins. That’s what Murray needs
Riley will never come. But I hope that we have a plan B behind the Kliff door that seems more and more a bad one

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was referring to Russell Wilson. I put Kyler Murray at 5’8 or 5’9

To be fair Murray measured just over 5’ 10” at the combine. I don’t think the NFL combine cheated on those numbers for his benefit...if it had been his pro day or been the measurements provided by Oklahoma I would have questioned it more

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
To be fair Murray measured just over 5’ 10” at the combine. I don’t think the NFL combine cheated on those numbers for his benefit...if it had been his pro day or been the measurements provided by Oklahoma I would have questioned it more
Lol , the 2-3 inches of hair don’t count because it doesn’t help his throwing angles and seeing over the line.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, don't know why always come up some haters questioning his height when the team sucks
He is 510, stop, his issues right now hasn't anything to do with height
Cause if he stares his eyes just in a small portion of the field Isnt a height problem

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Yes, don't know why always come up some haters questioning his height when the team sucks
He is 510, stop, his issues right now hasn't anything to do with height
Wow. Yes it does.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly think there's an internal struggle between Kingsbury and Murray. One wants to dink and dunk, the other wants toss the ball long. You notice that in throw into double coverage to KJ last game and then to AI in this one. Both on 3rd and manageable. I think QB isn't happy with coach.

Murray has the say where the ball goes so I'd have to disagree

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes I believe so, plus he’s won unlike Kliff ever has.

I’d also pursue Eric Bienimy
What has he “won” exactly? Big 12 titles where he has a significant talent advantage over every other team outside of Texas?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler struggled in a similar system at Texas A&M.

AT OU it was a great running game that opened up the pass for him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
and that was Big 12 where they can't even spell defense.

BTW, Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma are 0-2.

OU is 0-2 because their offense can't outscore opponents because their defense sucks. But that aside, this was my biggest concern when it was evident Murray was going #1 on 2019. Murray was terrible at Texas A&M and like Baker Mayfield transferred to OU and Riley made Murray look like a star just like he did with Mayfield before him. You look at OU's offense, their WR's are always open and they are YAC monsters especially CeeDee Lamb. The Air Raid is a dink and duck system that relies on WR's finding space in zones with short routes or bubble screens and getting yards after the catch. That is why you don't have to have a QB who can throw 60+ yards. ARZ has WR's who should be able to thrive in this system but Murray has trouble for most part getting them the ball.

As many have already pointed out, Murray doesn't go through progressions and makes a lot of bad throws into coverage. But Murray's touch on deep balls is also lacking because his feet rarely are set when he releases the ball and with his height and arm angle having to get it over the outstretched hands of DL, his passes rarely hit receivers in stride. He lacks touch as he either overthrows them or they have to adjust to catch it.

The problem which was also a concern a year and a half ago was if Kingsbury gets canned then there isn't an offensive system Murray would be able to fit in. He was built for a spread or read option type offense because of his size. He is not going to be able to become a pocket passer like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Well said & great take :notworthy:

OU is 0-2 because their offense can't outscore opponents because their defense sucks. But that aside, this was my biggest concern when it was evident Murray was going #1 on 2019. Murray was terrible at Texas A&M and like Baker Mayfield transferred to OU and Riley made Murray look like a star just like he did with Mayfield before him. You look at OU's offense, their WR's are always open and they are YAC monsters especially CeeDee Lamb. The Air Raid is a dink and duck system that relies on WR's finding space in zones with short routes or bubble screens and getting yards after the catch. That is why you don't have to have a QB who can throw 60+ yards. ARZ has WR's who should be able to thrive in this system but Murray has trouble for most part getting them the ball.

As many have already pointed out, Murray doesn't go through progressions and makes a lot of bad throws into coverage. But Murray's touch on deep balls is also lacking because his feet rarely are set when he releases the ball and with his height and arm angle having to get it over the outstretched hands of DL, his passes rarely hit receivers in stride. He lacks touch as he either overthrows them or they have to adjust to catch it.

The problem which was also a concern a year and a half ago was if Kingsbury gets canned then there isn't an offensive system Murray would be able to fit in. He was built for a spread or read option type offense because of his size. He is not going to be able to become a pocket passer like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's struggling but that's because this offense is extremely limited by Kliff's play calling. It's super easy to defend against.

Defend outside the hashes in short to intermediate. Linebackers don't have to worry about passes to the middle as Kyler can't see them so use then to plug rushing lanes.

There's simply not enough variety in the passing game. Its plain to see.

If you get up 10+ Kliff's play calling gets even worse and the game is over.
Either Kliff is not smart or Kyler really struggles to see/throw over the middle of the field.

I think its the latter.

The difference is at OU they widened the splits which made it easier for Kyler to throw over the middle. The difference is thats harder to do in the NFL. Especially since we have such average play on the interior. Also Kliff doesnt believe in traditional runs to set up the pass.

I've said from the beginning. Kliff has no clue when to run a screen pass and he doesnt undestand the importance of run action.

Russell Wilson CAN SEE clearly (I'm talking young Russ) after carrying out a play fake/bringing the lbs up and then hittng the guy over the middle.

Without a vet superstar Kliff looked like maybe a top 3 OC in the Big 12. Maybe.

Year 5 version of Kyler would be great in this system as he could simply take over the offense. Now? Its either gonna run perfect or run backwards (sideways for us)

As Trent Dilfer said....Really high highs and really low lows in this system until Kliff figures out run action.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Why he can't be like Russel Wilson now? Russel wasn't great in this first years but good enough, we should get the same out of Kyler, at least.

Buckybird

Reaction score
What has he “won” exactly? Big 12 titles where he has a significant talent advantage over every other team outside of Texas?
Obviously you are ignoring 3 straight 12 wins seasons & 3 playoff appearances. That’s nothing to sneeze at imo. Kliff has never sniffed that type of success.

He coaches a different style of offense with more downfield passing game & less WR screens.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Obviously you are ignoring 3 straight 12 wins seasons & 3 playoff appearances. That’s nothing to sneeze at imo. Kliff has never sniffed that type of success.

He coaches a different style of offense with more downfield passing game & less WR screens.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard