I don't think that we'll be trading for Daunte

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Four Vikings charged with party boat misdemeanors

MINNEAPOLIS -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and three other Minnesota Vikings were charged Thursday with three misdemeanors each for taking part in a bawdy boat party earlier this season on Lake Minnetonka.

Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie, Fred Smoot and Moe Williams were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct, according to court papers.

If convicted, each player faces a maximum of 90 days in jail on each count.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen's decision was based on findings by the Hennepin County sheriff's office, whose investigators reviewed allegations of lewd and drunken behavior aboard a floating party Oct. 6 that involved some Vikings players.

Sheriff Pat McGowan said others might have been charged, but authorities weren't able to identify them sufficiently.

"The night of the incident, there was no shortage of inappropriate behavior on both boats," he said at a news conference.

Crew members complained that some people took off their clothes and engaged in public sex acts during the cruise, according to Stephen Doyle, an attorney representing the boat owners, Al & Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises in Mound. The crew members identified 17 Vikings among about 90 people on the two boats.

The court papers released Thursday said Smoot and defensive end Lance Johnstone arranged the charter.

Smoot declined comment in the team's locker room before practice. Both Culpepper and Williams are on injured reserve and in rehabilitation on their own, away from the team. McKinnie wasn't seen in the locker room.

Vikings coach Mike Tice was careful with his reaction.

"According to NFL rules and union contracts, there is a large difference between allegations and charges and convictions," Tice said just before his routine news conference. "So until at any point there is a conviction of some type, if there is, I have no action to take and nothing to say."

After that, Tice threatened to stop talking to reporters if anyone asked more questions about the allegations.

Reports that some women at the party were paid to come from out of state had raised the possibility of federal charges, but U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger said Thursday that no such charges would be brought. Heffelfinger cited insufficient evidence.

That decision, along with sheriff's decision to send the case to Tallen's office, meant any charges would be minor. Tallen is the prosecuting attorney for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which handles nonfelony crimes committed on the big lake just west of Minneapolis.

The boat scandal hit the Vikings when they were already reeling, off to a 1-3 start, and made them the object of national ridicule on late-night TV and cable sports channels. New owner Zygi Wilf, who had been seeking state help for a new stadium, responded forcefully, apologizing to Gov. Tim Pawlenty and other state officials and instituting a new code of conduct.

The team has since recovered on the field and, with quarterback Brad Johnson replacing the injured Culpepper, reeled off six straight wins to become a playoff contender at 8-5.

Running back Michael Bennett said he didn't think the charges would hurt the team heading into Sunday's game against Pittsburgh.

"Everybody's upbeat," he said. "We have the distraction today, but again we've dealt with it pretty well.

Link

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I have a question....

Who gives a rats ass?

Sex acts on a boat.... shock.... dismay.... awe!!!!!

But.... you are probably right. I don't think I would want Dante anywho.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His value just keeps dropping. I would say it increases the likelihood of a trade.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
He is a Green draft protege is he not? Plan on him making a trip here in the off-season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL_FAN said:
He is a Green draft protege is he not? Plan on him making a trip here in the off-season.

Will he take the same flight and stay in the same hotel that Randy Moss did last year?

seesred

Reaction score
He may not be able to play next year. And when and if he comes back he may not be the Duante we want to have. At the very least he will miss 1/2 a season. Then practice, then maybe play by week 13-14 Forget about it!

GBR

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
NFL_FAN said:

I will repeat this again...

Duante has his knee torn to hell and is basically useless for the next year and a half. Green is fighting to keep his job and will have to get an 8-8 record or better next year in order to stay HC here.

If you are fighting for your job, you don't trade for someone that will NOT help you during that time

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
seesred said:
He may not be able to play next year. And when and if he comes back he may not be the Duante we want to have. At the very least he will miss 1/2 a season. Then practice, then maybe play by week 13-14 Forget about it!

GBR

:thumbup:

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
I will repeat this again...

Duante has his knee torn to hell and is basically useless for the next year and a half. Green is fighting to keep his job and will have to get an 8-8 record or better next year in order to stay HC here.

If you are fighting for your job, you don't trade for someone that will NOT help you during that time

Good points. Just heard the official charges: Daunte is charged with receiving lapdances and fondling the dancer. Are those serious? Anyone who has ever been to Burbon Street and not been guilty of at least one of those? It has been years since my last bachelors party attended but can't imagine it has changed that much in 6 years. I guess that is the least of his worries with that injury and his performance without Moss which has been average at best. I would agree with the better option being to keep Warner and draft Young or Lienart. JMO

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
seesred said:

GBR
40[/QUOTE

Right on the money.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
seesred said:

You will have to do the same with a so called QBOF wouldnt you. What is the difference. At least thats the question for those who are clamoring for a QBOF, if your arent that isnt a Question for you. In both scenerios drafting one or trading for Daunte, Warner will be the starter next year.

Now if you believe he cant come back from his knee injury, thats another debate. If a RB can do it why not a QB with more advanced procedures and rehab techniques.

Not saying I want to trade for him, I am on the fence. Just dont think the sitting out next year thing is a very good arguement for those against it.

Last edited:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't count Daunte out just yet. I've seen prognosis after prognosis ripped to shreads by these athletes rehab efforts. If Daunte shows he's committed to coming back (and Green would know) and progressing nicely he could be had for a good price. Of course, if nothing can be done to salvage the knee all bets are off. This midnight cruise tabloid bs shouldn't play into the equation (IMO) but certainly the Bidwill's will see it differently.

Daunte, for the right price, I say hell yes.

spanky1

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
You will have to do the same with a so called QBOF wouldnt you. What is the difference. At least thats the question for those who are clamoring for a QBOF, if your arent that isnt a Question for you. In both scenerios drafting one or trading for Daunte, Warner will be the starter next year.

Now if you believe he cant come back from his knee injury, thats another debate. If a RB can do it why not a QB with more advanced procedures and rehab techniques.

Not saying I want to trade for him, I am on the fence. Just dont think the sitting out next year thing is a very good arguement for those against it.

Once again....the voice of reason.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Love, exciting and new
Come Aboard. We're expecting you.
Love, life's sweetest reward.
Let it flow, it floats back to you.

Love Boat soon will be making another run
The Love Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new romance.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
I would rather get Rivers. He is younger with less wear and tear.(Rip me gently boys.)

I think the beauty of looking at Culpepper is the idea is you can probably get him for much less because of his current situation(injury, lap danceaholic, etc).

With Rivers because he hasn't played you're probably giving up a lot more to get a guy who has never proven he can play in the NFL.

Tough call, I've made my opinion on Rivers well known, I think SD is hiding him so they can trade him, with Daunte the risk is how long before he can play and how close to the original is he going to be?

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
You make a good point Russ. But the kids in the draft this April have not proven they can play in the NFL either. At some point we are going to have to take a chance on a young Gunslinger. I want a rock there for the next 8 years or so. We would have a new stadium qb and hope.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

What the hell is wrong with wanting to draft a franchise quarterback? You act like you got all the answers. Are you a Josh Mcown fan or something?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Denny Green Fan said:
What the hell is wrong with wanting to draft a franchise quarterback? You act like you got all the answers. Are you a Josh Mcown fan or something?

You have a real serious reading comprehension problem bro. If you actually read my post right you would know that isn’t what I was saying at all. In fact far from it. How you got that I was a Josh fan or something is beyond me.

I am not for or against trading for Daunte, nor am I for or against drafting a QB. I like Daunte and I also would really like Young or Cutler in the upcoming draft. I haven’t made my final choice on that yet.

Let me spell out the point I was making again since you couldn’t comprehend it the first time around. The only point I made was that either direction we go Daunte or Draft we will have to wait 1 year(Daunte Injury, draftee experience) before they become our QB of the future. Hence because of that, using Daunte not being able to play next year in defense of picking a draftee instead isn’t a valid argument to use when debating draftee over Daunte. There are plenty of other valid arguements for either side to pick from that just isnt one of them. No sides were taken on the issue just commenting on a certain argument that is invalid.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I want to keep Warner because he's playing like his old '99 self and has great chemistry with our receivers. Get one through the draft and allow him to marinate while Warner leads the offense.