I am vegan; Ask me anything

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I’m starting to lose patience.[emoji12]

I know I'm not supposed to take things personally on a message board but I'm now hurt to the core. :/

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I know I'm not supposed to take things personally on a message board but I'm now hurt to the core. :/

I was just joking that that would be a fun side effect. :)

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Interesting article that some people might want to read....

The hidden biases that drive anti-vegan hatred

People love to moan that vegans are annoying: research has shown that only drug addicts inspire the same degree of loathing. Now psychologists are starting to understand why – and it’s becoming clear that the reasons aren’t entirely rational.

Other popular arguments include the perception of vegans as over-smug – as the joke goes, “How do you recognise a vegan at a dinner party? Don’t worry! They’ll tell you!” – and over-zealous; a rapper recently cancelled a gig after the singer Morrissey insisted on an all-out meat ban at the venue. On forums, vegans face bizarre accusations like “only psychopaths like vegans enjoy tofu bacon”.

But are these really the reasons that people hate vegans? Not everyone is convinced. Some psychologists take another view – that far from being driven by factors within our conscious awareness, the widespread resentment we have for vegans is down to deep-seated psychological biases.

“It's really hard to say "I don't think it's cool to be complicit in a system of animal slaughter. But, you know, you should do what you want... I'm not judging you”,” says Monin. Instead, arguments which sidestep morality entirely are much less aggravating. For example, suggesting that you’re a vegan because of some idiosyncrasy, such as that you grew up on a farm, lets carnivores off the hook. It’s not your fault if you didn’t, and this experience would be impossible to replicate as an adult.

Ironically, the same psychological biases also mean that pro-veganism adverts which focus on animal suffering could have the opposite of the intended effect; while some people might react by eating less meat, those who choose not to change their behaviour are likely to deal with the discomfort they feel by trying harder than ever to justify their actions – leading them straight through the door of the next chicken shop.

So the next time a squirrel-eating activist hits the headlines, just think: deep, deep down, they might actually be an animal-lover, going to elaborate lengths to cover it up.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...anti-vegan-hatred?ocid=ww.social.link.twitter

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Next logical step, but it took a while.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Wow. Cargill getting into the plant based meat business!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Is it true that you can get the coronavirus from eating vegan cheese?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
BYND is up today on this news.

Also, from Yahoo Finance:

The growing number of coronavirus cases across the world has rattled equity markets. Per global health officials, cases of infected patients have exceeded 79,000. Nevertheless, the number of cases outside China is still significantly lower at roughly 2,000, the officials confirmed.

Growing evidence from studies that link coronavirus to bats will probably raise apprehension among people who consume animal meat. This is likely to lead to a demand surge for substitutes that mimic the taste, texture and sizzle on the grill of meat.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
[emoji190]

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish they’d stop doing that. When everyone thinks you’re extremists already, why do something like that? :(

I would have given out free Impossible Whoppers.

Hey, maybe I could get elected on a free Impossible Whopper platform.

yeah I thought of you when I saw this on the news this morning. Sucks that they played into the classic stereotype often portrayed about vegans.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It’s so exciting to see these big chains rolling out new products. El Pollo Loco is making its own product. Yum.

Dive Brief:

El Pollo Loco is now offering plant-based chicken systemwide through its new Chickenless Pollo Taco and Burrito menu items, according to a press release emailed to Restaurant Dive.

The chain created the plant-based protein product in-house than partner with popular plant-based meat suppliers like Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat because it "wanted to differentiate our product from all others in the marketplace and work with a supplier that could exclusively produce this product for us," a company spokesperson told Restaurant Dive via email. EL Pollo Loco also wanted a non-GMO product produced in the U.S., which it said forced the restaurants to exclude certain suppliers. Chickenless Pollo is made with 100% non-GMO soy protein and mimics shredded chicken.

El Pollo Loco is the first chicken chain to offer a plant-based menu item systemwide, and the restaurant says it has more Chickenless Pollo innovations in its pipeline.

https://www.restaurantdive.com/news...its-own-plant-based-chicken-chainwide/573542/

Edit: Seems as if there is egg in it, so it’s not vegan, but still a big improvement to the menu.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She sounds like she’d be a good candidate for Beyond Meat or Gardein - plant-based foods that are more like meat substitutes than raw vegetables.

Sprouts has Gardein on sale right now. ;)

I've been hearing a lot about this Gardein lately and I asked the Mrs to put it on the next grocery order so we could try it out. She startled me by stating something about some weird combination of animal blood/parts in it! I'm like, how could it be vegan if that's the case and she suggested I read up on it.

I think she's way off, but I've been burned too many times to count by not doing my research first. :eek:

Can you shed some light on this for me?

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot about this Gardein lately and I asked the Mrs to put it on the next grocery order so we could try it out. She startled me by stating something about some weird combination of animal blood/parts in it! I'm like, how could it be vegan if that's the case and she suggested I read up on it.

I think she's way off, but I've been burned too many times to count by not doing my research first. :eek:

I’ve never heard this. They are certified vegan. [emoji848]

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gardein is a good product. Yard House uses a lot of Gardein products, which is cool when I go out to eat. I especially like their "wings." Other than that, they are not my favorite. They have a meatless meatball that is okay. (I prefer Trader Joe's.) I haven't tried the fish because, outside of tuna, I never liked fish.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I hope they give it another name.........

McD's to test "McPlant" burger - not a P. L. T.

McDonald's to test McPlant, which includes a meat-free burger, next year; Beyond Meat shares fall

McDonald's will test a meat-free burger in several markets next year as it adds plant-based menu offerings, which it has coined "McPlant."

International President Ian Borden said that McPlant was created "by McDonald's and for McDonald's." Borden said that the McPlant line could also include chicken substitutes

McDonald's began testing a meatless burger, dubbed the P.L.T., in several dozen Ontario restaurants in September last year. By April, the chain had ended the pilot and has since said that it has no plans to bring back its P.L.T. burger at this time.

Rival Burger King, which is owned by Restaurant Brands International, released a plant-based Whopper in the U.S., with a patty made by privately held Impossible Foods last year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/mcd...burger-next-year-beyond-meat-shares-fall.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA