I am vegan; Ask me anything

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Maybe not, but they're healthier for the cows. ;)
Haha. That is definitely true. And I get it from that perspective. I sometimes struggle with the fact that I'm eating animals, but I reconcile it by thinking about nature and the natural order of things. Eventually I can see my mind changing though.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Been reading a ton about the Blue Zones - pockets of communities around the world where people live extremely healthy lives up to and beyond 100 years old. There lots of reasons why it turns out... but, one of the biggest contributors appears to be their very limited to no consumption of meat. At most, meat is eaten during celebratory occasions...
I ordered and just received the Blue Zones Cookbook and it’s fantastic! Made the mushroom risotto the other day and it was awesome!
Been really trying to cut down on eating meat as much as possible... and frankly, I’m finding that it’s really not that difficult to do! [emoji106]
I've studied the blue zones for several years. Pretty fascinating stuff. One thing to keep in mind though is that the data is sketchy because the ages of these people have been disputed. They don't have the best records dating back 100 years.

However, I don't think you can argue against the health of these older folks regardless of their actual age. A lot of research points towards their strong social bonds as being the driver factor of their longevity.

It just seems a long healthy life boils down to a few simple things. Eat "real" food, move around a lot, maintain low stress levels, and have purpose and gratitude.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another major milk producer files for bankruptcy. Tough times for dairy farmers. I can empathize, one day there'll be no need for my industry either.

I know dairy farming gets a bad rap for the pollution they cause but I still eat ice cream/cheese. It's one of the few things I really enjoy eating.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/06/business/borden-dairy-bankruptcy/index.html

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Another major milk producer files for bankruptcy. Tough times for dairy farmers. I can empathize, one day there'll be no need for my industry either.

I know dairy farming gets a bad rap for the pollution they cause but I still eat ice cream/cheese. It's one of the few things I really enjoy eating.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/06/business/borden-dairy-bankruptcy/index.html

Have you tried Ben & Jerry’s dairy-free ice cream? The Cherry Garcia and Chunky Monkey are delicious.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Ben & Jerry’s dairy-free ice cream? The Cherry Garcia and Chunky Monkey are delicious.

My wife has bought a Jill's brand non-dairy ice cream sandwich from the local co-op. They're not bad at all... still can't touch Tillamook rocky road but it'll do in a pinch.:)
I don't eat pizza but I gotta have the awesome grilled cheese I make once in a while.

I will say I've only eaten meat maybe 3 times in the last month or so. I had to have a couple brats at Browns game tailgate and we had our Christmas favorite... pork ribs and sauerkraut. Other than that, mostly rice, beans, cooked veggies, chili, eggs, nuts, fresh salad, Mexican food, pasta, granola. I'm down to a slim 170lbs from 185.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
My wife has bought a Jill's brand non-dairy ice cream sandwich from the local co-op. They're not bad at all... still can't touch Tillamook rocky road but it'll do in a pinch.:)
I don't eat pizza but I gotta have the awesome grilled cheese I make once in a while.

I will say I've only eaten meat maybe 3 times in the last month or so. I had to have a couple brats at Browns game tailgate and we had our Christmas favorite... pork ribs and sauerkraut. Other than that, mostly rice, beans, cooked veggies, chili, eggs, nuts, fresh salad, Mexican food, pasta, granola. I'm down to a slim 170lbs from 185.

I had vegan hot dogs and sauerkraut for New Years. Now I’m trying to figure out what to do with the extra sauerkraut. Buy more hot dogs, I guess.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Doesn’t this look like a really good meal?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 15 year old daughter has decided to go "Vegetarian" recently.

Her problem is that she doesn't like many Vegetables and isn't a fan of Beans.

:shrug:

I guess she is more of a Pastarian or Breadatarian. Or maybe a Cheesegan.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So my 15 year old daughter has decided to go "Vegetarian" recently.

Her problem is that she doesn't like many Vegetables and isn't a fan of Beans.

:shrug:

I guess she is more of a Pastarian or Breadatarian. Or maybe a Cheesegan.

She sounds like she’d be a good candidate for Beyond Meat or Gardein - plant-based foods that are more like meat substitutes than raw vegetables.

Sprouts has Gardein on sale right now. ;)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
She sounds like she’d be a good candidate for Beyond Meat or Gardein - plant-based foods that are more like meat substitutes than raw vegetables.

Sprouts has Gardein on sale right now. ;)

Yep, I got her some mock chicken nuggets that she liked.

Been trying different recipes to let her try different veggie dishes to see what she likes.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If I use “ protection” when I eat bacon am I still a vegan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
When dinner is on time.

When dinner is late.