Reaction score
How can you tell someone's a Vegan?

They'll tell you
You must be registered for see images attach

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
America's largest milk producer files for bankruptcy.

Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.

The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been particularly brutal: the company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit fell 14%. Dean Foods (DF) stock has lost 80% this year

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/business/dean-foods-bankruptcy/index.html

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
[emoji39]

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Looks like these things are made using vegetable oil. Yikes. Are people eating these fake burgers just for the taste? They’re definitely not healthier than grass fed grass finished meat.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had vegan Thanksgiving with youngest son. With the exception of the mashed potatoes and my wife's most excellent cornbread.... well..... it was pretty much meh.

Sorry.... you just can't make tofu taste like Turkey thighs, no matter what you do.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had vegan Thanksgiving with youngest son. With the exception of the mashed potatoes and my wife's most excellent cornbread.... well..... it was pretty much meh.

Sorry.... you just can't make tofu taste like Turkey thighs, no matter what you do.

I ate a tiny piece of turkey but I could have easily done without.

Mostly loaded up on stuffing, cream potatoes, candied yams (toasted marshmallows on top) and cranberry sauce. The hard to replace item is gravy without turkey broth but my wife can make a mean brown gravy.

That cornbread sounds great.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ate a tiny piece of turkey but I could have easily done without.

Mostly loaded up on stuffing, cream potatoes, candied yams (toasted marshmallows on top) and cranberry sauce. The hard to replace item is gravy without turkey broth but my wife can make a mean brown gravy.

That cornbread sounds great.

I'll pm you the recipe... ;)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to Culinary Dropout in Scottsdale and tried their SPICY VEGAN CURRY.

Man it was delicious!

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Went to Culinary Dropout in Scottsdale and tried their SPICY VEGAN CURRY.

Man it was delicious!

First, that's a great name for a restaurant. :lol:

Second, I just looked up their menu and that curry does sound great, especially because it has black rice in it. That stuff is amazing. :cheers:

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Looks like these things are made using vegetable oil. Yikes. Are people eating these fake burgers just for the taste? They’re definitely not healthier than grass fed grass finished meat.

Maybe not, but they're healthier for the cows. ;)

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

I had this for Thanksgiving. It was excellent!

You must be registered for see images

That is Gardein's Holiday Roast.

I usually get the one from Field Roast (below) and it is also delicious.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Taco Bell is very vegan friendly, vegan fast food really. Just have to order "fresco" style and they sub the salsa for dairy products, and if there is usually meat, ask them to sub beans for meat.

They also have an excellent app that makes it easy to customize your favorites and save them. The Fritos Burrito is on the dollar menu and all you have to do is tap a few buttons to veganize it and save it. Then whenever you want one or four, it's super easy to order and pick up. :)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They also have an excellent app that makes it easy to customize your favorites and save them. The Fritos Burrito is on the dollar menu and all you have to do is tap a few buttons to veganize it and save it. Then whenever you want one or four, it's super easy to order and pick up. :)

Awesome, thanks! Will definitely have to try the app.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
[emoji3590]

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Been reading a ton about the Blue Zones - pockets of communities around the world where people live extremely healthy lives up to and beyond 100 years old. There lots of reasons why it turns out... but, one of the biggest contributors appears to be their very limited to no consumption of meat. At most, meat is eaten during celebratory occasions...
I ordered and just received the Blue Zones Cookbook and it’s fantastic! Made the mushroom risotto the other day and it was awesome!
Been really trying to cut down on eating meat as much as possible... and frankly, I’m finding that it’s really not that difficult to do! [emoji106]

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Been reading a ton about the Blue Zones - pockets of communities around the world where people live extremely healthy lives up to and beyond 100 years old. There lots of reasons why it turns out... but, one of the biggest contributors appears to be their very limited to no consumption of meat. At most, meat is eaten during celebratory occasions...
I ordered and just received the Blue Zones Cookbook and it’s fantastic! Made the mushroom risotto the other day and it was awesome!
Been really trying to cut down on eating meat as much as possible... and frankly, I’m finding that it’s really not that difficult to do! [emoji106]

Love that post! Good for you, 82. :)

Blue Zones is a new term to me. I will have to look into it more. It reminds me of The China Study. Is it related at all?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue Zones are some of the most peaceful seaside cities as well. That has to count for sumptin'.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Love that post! Good for you, 82. :)

Blue Zones is a new term to me. I will have to look into it more. It reminds me of The China Study. Is it related at all?

I don’t believe the studies are formally linked in any way Kel... but I can’t say I’m 100% certain of that.
I strongly encourage you to research the Blue Zones studies. The material and conclusions are extremely well-researched and grounded in fact.
In short, though it is not the point of the studies, one can’t help but read the Blue Zones material and not feel a strong, overwhelming sense of concern for America and Americans who live, eat and commune in extremely hazardous ways...

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I don’t believe the studies are formally linked in any way Kel... but I can’t say I’m 100% certain of that.
I strongly encourage you to research the Blue Zones studies. The material and conclusions are extremely well-researched and grounded in fact.
In short, though it is not the point of the studies, one can’t help but read the Blue Zones material and not feel a strong, overwhelming sense of concern for America and Americans who live, eat and commune in extremely hazardous ways...

I agree. It reminds me of those monstrous eight patty hamburgers and things like that that people think are awesome. It’s horrendous for a number of reasons.