I’m convinced they are treating this as pre-season

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
I perceive "tanking" as losing deliberately, and would also think it would be very hard to convince professional players, coaches and managers to do that (fully aware it happens). On the other hand, if you have dismantled nearly everything about the old team, and there is no expectation to win - you can be more creative, particularly when you are trying to evaluate who gets to stay in the future iteration. I dunno - maybe it is semantics but I think there is something to be said for the notion of staff using these games as evaluations, tinkering and experimentation - whereby they are "sort of" trying to win, but if they lose it's OK. For this season....

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4 things. This can’t be ruled out:

- Monti and Gannon may have no clue what they’re doing.

All things can be true.

Murray could be broken, the roster could be irredeemable trash, forced by Kiem's idiocy, and Monti and Gannon might be clueless.

I do feel more confident about the first two points... only because there is a much longer track record.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From play selection, personnel, etc. they’re using these games like you would preseason to evaluate talent to evaluate Murray

It’s like they called a normal game on the first drive with lots of runs they proved they could score a touchdown now they’re just experimenting

I've had similar thoughts.

The way they have been giving playing time to most players they have on the roster and PS. Even guys like Hoskins, recently signed to the PS, was getting snaps yesterday.

It does often feel like they are testing players and experimenting with the scheme. Even things like going for 2 points on the first drive of the game, and some of the 4th down calls seem, if not experimental then at least have an element of "Screw it, what's to lose?"

Look at guys like Elijah Higgins. Despite drop issues he played 19 snaps yesterday.

I'm all for it. In a known losing season it's what you should do, and we all knew this was a losing season coming in. I don't think they give them away though, they make you earn it in practice.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
From play selection, personnel, etc. they’re using these games like you would preseason to evaluate talent to evaluate Murray

It’s like they called a normal game on the first drive with lots of runs they proved they could score a touchdown now they’re just experimenting

That is how Gannon talked in his post-game presser. Winning isn't the primary concern. He had certain plays that they wanted to run, certain personnel packages, and they couldn't get Conner (for example) back into the game because they couldn't move the chains with their evaluative plays.

Weird way to run a railroad. Let's see how it works out for them.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is the way they're treating the games this year, it seems plausible that there are prolly players who are thinking the opposite... they want out of the Cards mess.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is the way they're treating the games this year, it seems plausible that there are prolly players who are thinking the opposite... they want out of the Cards mess.
Could be - but they are also auditioning for their next gig as well.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If they are running this season like a preseason, can someone tell me which game will be the one that they competitively, aka the dress rehearsal :biglaugh:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This makes sense to me, as painful as it is to watch. This roster is so depleted, that they need a top 3 pick… really top 1 or 2, in a perfect world to trade to 3 for MHJ and another pick.

Needs are insane..
- 3 Olineman, really 4. (And yes teams have overhauled their oline successfully…KC replaced 4 oline starters after the loss to TB in the SuperBowl through trade, FA and draft all in one season!)
- WR1 and a WR2 if Hollywood is gone
- A versatile speed back… Conner has been surprisingly good when healthy - but he turns 29 in May. You can prob count on 1 hand the number of RBs having elite seasons post age 29 in the last decade. I still think with his bruising style he could be solid for his role for 1-2 seasons - 8-10 carries a game.

That’s 5-6 pieces you need ok offense, you need 6 on the defense. At least 50% of your starters need to be replaced…we need some star power. MHJ may instantly be the best player on the roster.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This makes sense to me, as painful as it is to watch. This roster is so depleted, that they need a top 3 pick… really top 1 or 2, in a perfect world to trade to 3 for MHJ and another pick.

Needs are insane..
- 3 Olineman, really 4. (And yes teams have overhauled their oline successfully…KC replaced 4 oline starters after the loss to TB in the SuperBowl through trade, FA and draft all in one season!)
- WR1 and a WR2 if Hollywood is gone
- A versatile speed back… Conner has been surprisingly good when healthy - but he turns 29 in May. You can prob count on 1 hand the number of RBs having elite seasons post age 29 in the last decade. I still think with his bruising style he could be solid for his role for 1-2 seasons - 8-10 carries a game.

That’s 5-6 pieces you need ok offense, you need 6 on the defense. At least 50% of your starters need to be replaced…we need some star power. MHJ may instantly be the best player on the roster.
Plus a blocking TE. Fortunately a speed back can be had late in the draft.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why they went under center the 1st drive to great success, and then went away from it completely and they were totally shut down?
Because they checked off that box, and moved on to another means of evaluation. It’s hard to argue with the notion that they’re treating this season like it were a preseason. If they win, fine, but only if it’s within the confines of their evaluation and experimentation “process”.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if being treated like preseason that makes evaluating KM more difficult. Conner gets two carries after the first drive? Then they play someone they just picked up and someone coming back from injury. Make no mistake KM was shaky but a pretty tough set up for anyone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if being treated like preseason that makes evaluating KM more difficult. Conner gets two carries after the first drive? Then they play someone they just picked up and someone coming back from injury. Make no mistake KM was shaky but a pretty tough set up for anyone.
IMO, Murray is NOT being evaluated at all. They know exactly what they have in him, and all he's doing is getting familiar with the new offense, so that he can hit the ground running NEXT season. With our TOTAL lack of WR talent, and the Cardinals evaluation/experimentation "process", there are almost no expectations being placed on K1 this year. JG knows that Murray places enough expectations on HIMSELF already. If we end up with the 1st pick, we will trade down, it's that simple.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
IMO, Murray is NOT being evaluated at all. They know exactly what they have in him, and all he's doing is getting familiar with the new offense, so that he can hit the ground running NEXT season. With our TOTAL lack of WR talent, and the Cardinals evaluation/experimentation "process", there are almost no expectations being placed on K1 this year. JG knows that Murray places enough expectations on HIMSELF already. If we end up with the 1st pick, we will trade down, it's that simple.
There have to be baseline expectations, though. Proper footwork. Not throwing ducks. Throwing in rhythm when possible. Not tossing it into triple coverage.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There have to be baseline expectations, though. Proper footwork. Not throwing ducks. Throwing in rhythm when possible. Not tossing it into triple coverage.
Yes, and I think the footwork is linked to the occasional duck that awkwardly comes out of his hand. And yes, that’s why it was important for him to play THIS season.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yes, and I think the footwork is linked to the occasional duck that awkwardly comes out of his hand. And yes, that’s why it was important for him to play THIS season.

It's being reported that DP his making Murray change his footwork! The article is on the Steelers pregame thread!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson