I’m convinced they are treating this as pre-season

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From play selection, personnel, etc. they’re using these games like you would preseason to evaluate talent to evaluate Murray

It’s like they called a normal game on the first drive with lots of runs they proved they could score a touchdown now they’re just experimenting

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
From play selection, personnel, etc. they’re using these games like you would preseason to evaluate talent to evaluate Murray

It’s like they called a normal game on the first drive with lots of runs they proved they could score a touchdown now they’re just experimenting
I've been thinking the same since last week's game. I called the going on 4th and 2pt plays "tanking without looking like you're tanking", which I still think, but I also think it's them evaluating talent and trying things out since they don't have to worry about winning. Or even want to win. It gives the staff a lot of freedom. I just hope that they get enough to properly evaluate Kyler.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nah.

3 things are possibly in play here:

- this is arguably the least talented defense the NFL has assembled

- Kliff may have broken Kyler permanently

- Keim idiotically drafted a one-trick pony quarterback in 2019 to add to his list of horrendous and drunken personnel decisions

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah.

3 things are possibly in play here:

- this is arguably the least talented defense the NFL has assembled

- Kliff may have broken Kyler permanently

- Keim idiotically drafted a one-trick pony quarterback in 2019 to add to his list of horrendous and drunken personnel decisions

4 things. This can’t be ruled out:

- Monti and Gannon may have no clue what they’re doing.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Here’s what I posted on the game thread, “Has anyone else notice the offense is hand the ball to Connor or have Murray throw from the pocket. Few called rollouts, no screens, virtually no motion, no QB draws or called QB runs; totally vanilla. This is what I’d expect in a pre-season game. Say what you want about tanking, does it really seem they’re all in to win?”

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here’s what I posted on the game thread, “Has anyone else notice the offense is hand the ball to Connor or have Murray throw from the pocket. Few called rollouts, no screens, virtually no motion, no QB draws or called QB runs; totally vanilla. This is what I’d expect in a pre-season game. Say what you want about tanking, does it really seem they’re all in to win?”
None of that really excuses Murray playing poorly.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Or that Keim was a ******* who drafted a 5’9 quarterback in a league where no such player has been successful over time with the exception of one guy who also happened to be the most accurate thrower ever?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many can’t wait to get back to the Stanton, McCown, Streveler, Skelton, Hall, Dwrecks of the league playing QB for the cards lol… tune into almost any other game and watch the protection the QB gets or how the WRs get open lol it’s all so drastically different then what we see. Takes time to fix the wreck that Keim and KK created…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many can’t wait to get back to the Stanton, McCown, Streveler, Skelton, Hall, Dwrecks of the league playing QB for the cards lol… tune into almost any other game and watch the protection the QB gets or how the WRs get open lol it’s all so drastically different then what we see. Takes time to fix the wreck that Keim and KK created…
Kyler might have been part of that wreck.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
QB 101-
Watch the tape. As soon as kyler takes the snap count in your head...one thousand 1, one thousand 2, one thousand 3...by the time you say 2 in your head Kyler should be in his throwing motion....unless there is a defender literally right in his face keeping him from passing the ball.
Any protection from the offensive line beyond 2.5 seconds is a bonus... and if you can't get passes off in that time it's a QB problem.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler might have been part of that wreck.
I was at the game today and you could tell an noticeable difference in Kyler once the playcalling went away from Ron and Donald had some pressures on him

The offensive line is so bad I really don’t see many quarterbacks being successful

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's crazy that some people think K1 is beyond reproach.

The whole team is terrible. EVERY position.
I don't think he's above reproach, but the difference in how he was able to play in his 1st game back vs the last 2 games is completely crazy to me. In his 1st game, they pretty much allowed him to do his thing and run wild....the last 2 games it's pretty easy to see he's been reeled in somewhat and held back...and my only theory is they just want to develop him and see how he plays within the confines of Petzig's offense. Also, we can't deny that in the last 2 games the offense looks pretty good and clicks early, then inexplicably goes completely vanilla with almost zero creativity. Bottom line is what we all see as fans may, or may not, be what the coaches are seeing, or expecting to see, based on what they are asking him to do.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he's above reproach, but the difference in how he was able to play in his 1st game back vs the last 2 games is completely crazy to me. In his 1st game, they pretty much allowed him to do his thing and run wild....the last 2 games it's pretty easy to see he's been reeled in somewhat and held back...and my only theory is they just want to develop him and see how he plays within the confines of Petzig's offense. Also, we can't deny that in the last 2 games the offense looks pretty good and clicks early, then inexplicably goes completely vanilla with almost zero creativity. Bottom line is what we all see as fans may, or may not, be what the coaches are seeing, or expecting to see, based on what they are asking him to do.
The first series in each of the last two games plus the first series well actually second series of the second half is what inspired this thread.

Calling changed immediately after the first series was over

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is it possible they’re playing to their veteran quarterback’s strengths?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson