Hunting

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Any hunters?

I am going on my first turkey hunt in Minnesota around the Columbus Day holiday. My in laws have a lot of farm and non-farm land (900+ acres) and we can hunt on their property. I've seen lots of turkeys in the fields previously and I know they get some big ones.

I am looking forward to it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you use as weapon? Offhand I would think a shotgun with something like #4 shot although I've never hunted turkey.

Perhaps a turkey call would be a good thing and some camo clothing. Also maybe a hunting blind.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What do you use as weapon? Offhand I would think a shotgun with something like #4 shot although I've never hunted turkey.

Perhaps a turkey call would be a good thing and some camo clothing. Also maybe a hunting blind.

I will be using my 12 gauge (an old Sears pump action), state laws says shot size 4 or smaller only. My brother in law has the turkey call, I already have the clothing for it.

MN also allows you to hunt turkey with bows or crossbows too but I don't own either or have any real experience with either, last time I used a bow was at summer camp 35+ years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be using my 12 gauge (an old Sears pump action), state laws says shot size 4 or smaller only. My brother in law has the turkey call, I already have the clothing for it.

MN also allows you to hunt turkey with bows or crossbows too but I don't own either or have any real experience with either, last time I used a bow was at summer camp 35+ years ago.

The next thing I was going to recommend, if possible go hunting with an experienced hunter, preferably someone who has hunted turkey before. Also have an idea where the turkey hang out. Some people scout the area beforehand. Maybe even try to call in some birds before the season.

In regard weapon, I'd probably stick with something that is familiar.

My favorite weapon for hunting birds used to be a Remington 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun. Laws usually only allow for it to carry a certain amount of shells. Most shotguns are already plugged but it's wise to check.

What used to really help me was reading hunting magazines or books beforehand. Also probably a lot of stuff on YouTube but always look for quality.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The next thing I was going to recommend, if possible go hunting with an experienced hunter, preferably someone who has hunted turkey before. Also have an idea where the turkey hang out. Some people scout the area beforehand. Maybe even try to call in some birds before the season.

In regard weapon, I'd probably stick with something that is familiar.

My favorite weapon for hunting birds used to be a Remington 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun. Laws usually only allow for it to carry a certain amount of shells. Most shotguns are already plugged but it's wise to check.

What used to really help me was reading hunting magazines or books beforehand. Also probably a lot of stuff on YouTube but always look for quality.

My brother in law is an experienced turkey hunter so he will take the lead. I know the land is pretty fertile for turkey hunting lots of hunters come out and ask to use it--most get turned away as they have had too many people not respecting the farming land/

Yeah my shotgun had a plug, I took it out a long time ago because I have it set up for home defense, I will just limit the shells I have in the tube.

State law also allows for muzzleloading shotguns, I recently built a blunderbuss from a kit that would be legal but I don't plan to bring it this time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother in law is an experienced turkey hunter so he will take the lead. I know the land is pretty fertile for turkey hunting lots of hunters come out and ask to use it--most get turned away as they have had too many people not respecting the farming land/

Yeah my shotgun had a plug, I took it out a long time ago because I have it set up for home defense, I will just limit the shells I have in the tube.

State law also allows for muzzleloading shotguns, I recently built a blunderbuss from a kit that would be legal but I don't plan to bring it this time.

That's great your brother-in-law is experienced. It always helps. Sounds like both of you have a good chance to get a turkey.

I watch a lot of game and fish law enforcement programs on television. Probably no rangers will check you on private land but I do think they enforce the shell capacity of a shotgun. I've seen them do that in other states.

A blunderbuss... now that's interesting. You may get the whole flock with that. :p

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Not a big hunter but have gone with my brother on a couple of occasions. The last being a hog hunt in Texas last month. It was fun but to be honest I mostly go to spend time with my brother.

Hope you have fun. Fun fact: Ben Franklin wanted the national bird to be the turkey.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
It took me 10 years to get a tag but I just got my first Nevada Antelope. I’m pretty happy.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Used to hunt...now, nope...just a hippy conservatism environmentalist now.
I’m a hippy, conservationist, environmentalist, fisherman, and a hunter. The biggest groups of wildlife conservationists in America are hunters and sport fisherman. It’s the corporate and commercial guys that try and ruin it for everyone else.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a hippy, conservationist, environmentalist, fisherman, and a hunter. The biggest groups of wildlife conservationists in America are hunters and sport fisherman. It’s the corporate and commercial guys that try and ruin it for everyone else.

The vast majority of hunters I grew up with in the Midwest were extremely respectful of the land and ecosystems they interacted with. Besides the obvious survival traits that hunting teaches, attempting to keep a balance in nature is of great importance in many areas across the country. It's not always perfect and there are times when things go awry, but I still believe most of the hunting community are involved for the right reasons.

Congrats on the 'lope!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose