How will the players handle this ?

Nash

Reaction score
I watched the game in a bar and after the loss, decided not to come to ASFN for a few days because I knew people would be mighty pissed. I figured reading stuff here would only ruin my mood further. But yeah, couldn't resist coming over.

Save for a few bonehead mistakes (that have been rehashed multiple times already) and Spurs luck (Timmy's shot) this game could have been ours.

But for some reason, I find it hard to be optimistic - Just a reaffirmation of the fact that the tendency of the mind is to cling to the negative. There were so many good things about this game, but I (we) tend to recall only the bad moments.

This got me thinking, if we, the fans feel so drained after this loss, how would the players be?

How (or can) they pull themselves together and play positively on Tuesday?

What do these guys do to handle such high pressure situations? How do they psychologically handle stuff like this?
Do they have sports psychologists helping them? I know of many other sports where sports psychologists make a huge difference.

I know Dirk went away Down Under to handle his playoff loss last year. But how will the Suns players handle this gut-wrenching loss?
These guys are humans after all, right ???

Sorry to go on that rant of questions. I just thought sharing my thoughts would help me get this out of my head so I can focus on my life :)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I watched the game in a bar and after the loss, decided not to come to ASFN for a few days because I knew people would be mighty pissed. I figured reading stuff here would only ruin my mood further. But yeah, couldn't resist coming over.

Save for a few bonehead mistakes (that have been rehashed multiple times already) and Spurs luck (Timmy's shot) this game could have been ours.

But for some reason, I find it hard to be optimistic - Just a reaffirmation of the fact that the tendency of the mind is to cling to the negative. There were so many good things about this game, but I (we) tend to recall only the bad moments.

This got me thinking, if we, the fans feel so drained after this loss, how would the players be?

What do these guys do to handle such high pressure situations? How do they psychologically handle stuff like this?
Do they have sports psychologists helping them? I know of many other sports where sports psychologists make a huge difference.

I know Dirk went away Down Under to handle his playoff loss last year. But how will the Suns players handle this gut-wrenching loss?

Sorry to go on that rant of questions. I just thought sharing my thoughts would help me get this out of my head so I can focus on my life :)

if they win game 2, mission accomplished, sucks to be trailing the spurs again, but I think the suns have a good chance in game 2.

satex

Reaction score

I have the answer. The players get paid regardless and could give a rats behind how you feel. Not to say it's 'only' a job to them but in a way, it IS.

But that should give your relief. You lost game 1. In TWO overtimes, by two points, in the last few seconds...ON THE ROAD at that.

Would you feel better if you lost by 20 ? Oddly, I say yes. Because if you lose by 20 you know something was bad wrong. Odd bounces...bad hair day..whatever. This is more painful to FANS...but two overtimes or a blowout...a loss or a win...is just that.

The point is...it ain't over. There's no use in pizzn' and moanin' about the 'what ifs'. It was the first game...on the road...that you're suppose to lose. Last time I looked, the Spurs have some trophy's in their case.

We saw all the 'home court means nothing' threads here and there. We all know that's BS. That's what you tell yourself when you don't have it. But, take heart. You didn't get beaten down. It took two OT's and the last few seconds and one shot/drive for the Spurs to win.

What you can't take heart in is THIS: The idea that Shaq negates Duncan.

This just in. Tim Duncan, while not 'flashy' ...is pretty good. In fact, he's really good.

Time to get serious D'Antoni and company. It gets old when you continue to 'misuderestimate', to coin a bushco term, your opponent. Time to pull oot some 'strategory'. I don't think your coach has it in him, but your team sure does.

Last edited:

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Well, before you make a statement like that, have Shaq play 30 or so minutes again Duncan without being in foul trouble. Because if you haven't seen the playoffs of the past, Shaq is pretty much the best guy to deflat Duncan, that is when HE IS IN THE GAME NOT IN FOUL TROUBLE.

satex

Reaction score
Well, before you make a statement like that, have Shaq play 30 or so minutes again Duncan without being in foul trouble. Because if you haven't seen the playoffs of the past, Shaq is pretty much the best guy to deflat Duncan, that is when HE IS IN THE GAME NOT IN FOUL TROUBLE.

Circular logic. Do you honestly think putting shaq in 'foul touble' wasn't the goal ? Twice in less than 5 seconds Oberto grabs Shag to intentionally foul him....a very light obvious foul...to send the Suns into the penalty and him to the freethrow line.

I swear...do you NOT watch the NBA at ALL. I guess it you and Flip Saunders that are clueless.

Oh gee...but 'Shaq was in foul trouble'.

And just who, pray tell, do you think put him there ? Oh wait...if you go with the too common suns fan response, it's David Stern. This just in II. Conspiracy theories don't win anything. Being a victim wins nothing but warm fuzzies from those who fall for it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The players will run home crying that Amare is stupid for charging into Thomas, and that D'antoni is a moron. With tears streaming down their face they will turn their head towards the sky with their hands raised high screaming for all to hear about how they're done with this team! They'll fail to show up to game 2, claiming that this series is over anyways.

satex

Reaction score
Suns probs are on the bench. He wears a suit. I think you know who I'm talking about.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well the suns will be fine. the core guys they have now have been battling for about 4yrs now.
i expect a game2 win, with shaq having more minutes due to less foul trouble.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Circular logic. Do you honestly think putting shaq in 'foul touble' wasn't the goal ? Twice in less than 5 seconds Oberto grabs Shag to intentionally foul him....a very light obvious foul...to send the Suns into the penalty and him to the freethrow line.

I swear...do you NOT watch the NBA at ALL. I guess it you and Flip Saunders that are clueless.

And just who, pray tell, do you think put him there ? Oh wait...if you go with the too common suns fan response, it's David Stern. This just in II. Conspiracy theories don't win anything. Being a victim wins nothing but warm fuzzies from those who fall for it.
that makes no reasonable or logical sense, what the heck are you saying?lol
read & understand.

andrew is saying that shaq didnt play well because he was in foul trouble.

foul trouble = shaq have 3fouls in the 1st half

foul trouble DOES NOT EQUAL the spurs fouling shaq.

satex

Reaction score
well the suns will be fine. the core guys they have now have been battling for about 4yrs now.
i expect a game2 win, with shaq having more minutes due to less foul trouble.

Salvatori(sp) hates the spurs and they lose more than win with him. Barking up the wrong tree there.

So Shaq is buying into the victim role ? Huh... I thought he was suppose to be Amares role model, not his enabler.

I swear, my respect for Nash is off the charts. The only MAN in that organization that takes responsiblity for himself and doesn't blame everyone under the sun for his teams failures.

Honestly, you don't deserve him.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score

No **** sherlock, putting him in foul trouble was the goal, but he could have defended Duncan much more Shaq-like if he had one less foul...oh wait that wasn't the case, since a ref gave him a foul on Oberto when clearly nothing happened. Yeah, next time you come here and talk to me, make sure you bring your A game because clearly Shaq wasn't on Duncan in the beginning, he finished on him. I know he is a poor ft shooter, but that isn't the point. The point is Shaq could not defend Duncan like he normally would because of foul trouble. Do you watch the NBA? Are you clueless? What player wants to pick up a 5th or 6th foul guarding Duncan?

Dude, I am talking about Shaq guarding Duncan, nothing more. Learn to read.

Fact: If Shaq had less fouls AND was on Duncan in the beginning, Duncan wouldn't have had 40 points.

Fact: Duncan went off because Amare can't defend him...

Fact: Game 2, Duncan will not go off for 40 points because Shaq tends to play BETTER when frustrated.

I would be more worried about your team of floppers, because apparently...that is all they know how to do.

Good night, I am done talking to a moronic homer.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Salvatori(sp) hates the spurs and they lose more than win with him. Barking up the wrong tree there.

So Shaq is buying into the victim role ? Huh... I thought he was suppose to be Amares role model, not his enabler.

I swear, my respect for Nash is off the charts. The only MAN in that organization that takes responsiblity for himself and doesn't blame everyone under the sun for his teams failures.

Yeah dude, we dont deserve his butt here.

Nash to SAS for a 2nd round pick :raccoon:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

you're opinion is great & all, its your and we can do nothing about.

but learn to read & understand.:p

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This impacted this team mentally. Anybody that says otherwise is drinking :koolaid:. I am not saying this team will be so devastated it won't be able to play. However, if we have another close game you can bet this loss (and history) will be in their heads and probably impact the outcome.

So how do the Suns get past them? They have to have decent wins from here on out to win this series. I don't mean blow outs either. I just mean good wins.

I don't think this team mentally can handle high pressure close games against the Spurs. At least they have not proved it yet. So they need to put this team away earlier and avoid down to the wire games to win this series.

It's true that this is only one game. We are not out by any means. However, this is one game that can have a lasting impact if the Suns let it.

Last edited:

satex

Reaction score
No **** sherlock, putting him in foul trouble was the goal, but he could have defended Duncan much more Shaq-like if he had one less foul...oh wait that wasn't the case, since a ref gave him a foul on Oberto when clearly nothing happened. Yeah, next time you come here and talk to me, make sure you bring your A game because clearly Shaq wasn't on Duncan in the beginning, he finished on him. I know he is a poor ft shooter, but that isn't the point. The point is Shaq could not defend Duncan like he normally would because of foul trouble. Do you watch the NBA? Are you clueless? What player wants to pick up a 5th or 6th foul guarding Duncan?

Dude, I am talking about Shaq guarding Duncan, nothing more. Learn to read.

Fact: If Shaq had less fouls AND was on Duncan in the beginning, Duncan wouldn't have had 40 points.

Fact: Duncan went off because Amare can't defend him...

Fact: Game 2, Duncan will not go off for 40 points because Shaq tends to play BETTER when frustrated.

I would be more worried about your team of floppers, because apparently...that is all they know how to do.

Good night, I am done talking to a moronic homer.

How are these things you say facts ?

satex

Reaction score
And this defines the Suns, and to a degree, this board which is a reflection of the fans.

'Should we have a Suns only forums or do we suspend new registrations or ..or...do we just BAN anyone who says something we don't like or makes fun of us ?

Oh those Spurs boards....they are so mean and troll filled. We can't actually have people speaking their minds. They could...say something...that could...that could...hurt our wittle feewings.

Amazing how a simple forum can take the personality of a team, a coach, an owner, a city.

There is a solution.

Win

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There is a solution.

Win

Trust me, if fans had any real effect on a team's success, the Suns would have won an armful of titles. The franchise obviously has some major shortcomings, but passionate fan support isn't one of them.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
I heard that Tony Parker snuck out of Eva Longoria's vagina last night and went to the Suns' hotel to spoon Boris Diaw. Boris should be thankful he has a friend so caring...

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score

This loss has the potential to devastate our team. I saw Amare on the bench with his head down grabbing his head just in angst once he realized we lost. I think it becomes mind numbing to keep getting to the playoffs and we just lost again to the EVIL SPURS.

Shaq, Nash and Dantoni need to get everyone to forget the negatives, focus on the positives and stay out of foul trouble!

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Shaq, Nash and Dantoni need to get everyone to forget the negatives, focus on the positives and stay out of foul trouble!
You can't just forget about the negatives. As tough as it may be, you have to study your faults and errors and learn from them. Otherwise, you will be destined to repeat them.

The problem with the Suns is not that they make mistakes, it's that they repeat the same mistakes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am thrilled with the positive attitude that Shaq brings to the Suns.

And I hope to see it spread in Game 2.

But Shaq's comment about Game 1 -- something like, "Hopefully the Spurs will stop flopping?" just ain't gonna do it.

He was challenging the Spurs to beat the Suns with their playing, not their acting. I don't think that's going to put a stop to it. :rolleyes:

Pfunk16

Reaction score
Shaq telling the Spurs to stop flopping is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Nash is one of the best in the business of flopping to get a call.

Puh-lease!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson