How did Miami do it?

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Since there sin't really a thread about this team...

Miami= Men
Dallas= Boys

Dallas cried too much about the refs.

Cuban made an absolute ass out of himself.

Cuban stole the headlines, when it should have been focused on his team.

Having 2 intimidating forces in the lane on D takes so much pressure off the rest of the D. (Take note Suns.)

Pat Riley is a witch. He coached a perfect series and handles himself with class. Avery should take lessons, becuase he got schooled.

Dirk who? Where were ya in the 4th?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In another thread, I suggested the weak three point shooting by the Mavs was proving fatal. If they hit just a third of them tonight, the Mavs would have won.

Another problem for the Mavs was their poor ball movement. After watching the Suns, you get spoiled. I can't count how many times the Mavs would have one pass and then someone would immediately take a contested shot.

I agree with the points about the Mavs not being mentally tough. With the season on the line, the slower Heat out hustled them.

In any case, the reason the Heat won was due to Wade. He'll not only get the tournament MVP trophy, it is likely to unanimous.

BTW, I've been saying the Suns need more perimeter defensive people. After watching Wade, I feel even more strongly.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
In another thread, I suggested the weak three point shooting by the Mavs was proving fatal. If they hit just a third of them tonight, the Mavs would have won.

Another problem for the Mavs was their poor ball movement. After watching the Suns, you get spoiled. I can't count how many times the Mavs would have one pass and then someone would immediately take a contested shot.

I agree with the points about the Mavs not being mentally tough. With the season on the line, the slower Heat out hustled them.

In any case, the reason the Heat won was due to Wade. He'll not only get the tournament MVP trophy, it is likely to unanimous.

BTW, I've been saying the Suns need more perimeter defensive people. After watching Wade, I feel even more strongly.

Live and die by the 3. That's why the Suns need Amare back.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

That's it right there. I think Dallas had the more talented team. They really had no business losing four straight to Miami. But, Wade played SOOOO much better than any other player in the series, on either team, it was just enough to kill the Mavs.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Miami did it with heart and determination. Haslem = warrior. I really liked him at Florida and he just showed what I saw in him there... a tough SOB. Wade... what can you say.

I also think Jason Terry shot the Mavs out of the game. When he was going good he was in the lane but for some reason he kept hoisting 3's like they were going out of style. That is not their game.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

They start jacking up the shots because of the good Miami D. Against the little-D Suns, they could drive at will. They have to think two or three times before driving on Miami. This is why the Suns will get the 'ship ONLY when they fix the D. Hopefully that comes in the fashion of Amare and KT.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Along with that, do we say once again that defense wins championships? Miami is not a great offensive team, so I would have to say yes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
Along with that, do we say once again that defense wins championships? Miami is not a great offensive team, so I would have to say yes.

Miami is a balanced team. I personally think that Dallas is the better team, but they spent so much time crying about the referreeing (which I thought was decent) from the owner to the ball-boys, that they were mentally out of it.

Dallas' defense consists of hacking and grabbing at the end of games and the refs didn't let them get away with it.

Dirk disappeared. Miami's star player is better than Dallas' star.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

But at one point wern't the Heat 1-19 from the three? So I dont get your point there...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
pokerface said:
But at one point wern't the Heat 1-19 from the three? So I dont get your point there...

The Heat is a Pat Riley team. He believes in slow down, pack the paint, defense oriented play. His strategy was to take away drives to the basket, get the ball out of Dirks hands, and force the Mavs take jump shots -- and it worked.

Pack the paint defensive scheme doesn't work against the Suns. Every team that tries to pack the paint discovers the Suns can move are quite capable of hitting 12 to 15 threes. Even in the WCF, the Suns hit just under 40% of their three pointers against a defense designed to stop them -- and the Heat are not capable of playing that way. Does Shaq guard Boris at the elbow or TT in the corner? The Mavs could not spread the floor and were victims of 10 blocked shots when driving the basket.

The paradox for the Mavs was that their big guys weren't scoring threats but still needed low post help without being a threat at the other end. The Heat got a lot of open looks. But on the other end, whenever Dirk got the ball, he faced upwards to three guys between him and the basket along with denial coverage of Terry and Howard. The lack of a serious offensive threat at center made the Mavs much easier to defense as did their inability to hit their jump shots.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
pokerface said:

Yeah but unlike the Mavs Miami didn't need to hit 3's to win because they were able to get so many stops.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
The Mavs feared Miami. They did not fear the Suns.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Wade was agressive. hat made the whole difference. The Mavs resorted to jump shots towards the end. When the shots aren't falling you have to have someone who can drive and get you points. Wade did that for Miami. Daniels was doing it and keeping Dallas int he game, but they fell short.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Toro said:
The Mavs feared Miami. They did not fear the Suns.

If Raja had been healthy, I think the Mavs would have been wise to take the Suns seriously. Neither the Lakers nor the Clippers took the Suns seriously either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard