Horton to interview for Rams HC position.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Definitely agree that it's the Rooney rule in effect. However, I don't think it's so that they can pick Horton's brain. Nothing like that in my opinion, it's not like Horton is going to give away anything. I think the reason Whisenhunt gave him permission to interview is so that Horton could--sounds dumb--be interviewed.

It's a practice run interview for a head coaching job. He isn't going anywhere, but he gets free experience interviewing for a head coaching job he (Horton) may want down the line.

I love the fact that Whis wants what's best for his football team, the players, assistant coaches, etc. I'm sure he hated losing Haley, but they're friends and he gave permission for Haley also. He encourages all his coaches to test the market, from what he's said himself, to see their value and to test their worth and their improvement.

The sign of success for a leader is when you can improve dudes and move them to more lucrative endeavors.

That being said, Horton isn't going anywhere, but it was cool that he got to interview for a job that he may want (not necessarily with the Rams) down the line. It's a test run, and I'm sure he learned alot about the process.

I accept the gist of your point, but, to be clear: as Horton's contract is with the AZ Cards and not a personal services contract with Whiz, it's in fact the Cardinals through their GM (Graves) that extended permission.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Fisher takes the STL job but in the event of Fisher deciding to go to MIA and STL actually hiring Ray Horton, does ARZ go for their original target from last year, Keith Butler? ARZ was denied permission to interview him because Butler was under contract for 1 more year, so would he be in play now if Horton bolts? I don't think LaBeau is stepping down this year.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Horton may get a 2nd interview with Rams per St. Louis paper. I hope Fisher chooses the Rams. Don't want to lose Horton.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b217e74e-3966-11e1-b219-0019bb30f31a.html

I for one am not suprised that Horton interviewed well. This is why the Rooney rule is a good thing. At some point it won't be necessary because even the archiac thinking of a few outliers will become extinct.

Since the Rams only interviewed Fisher and Horton it would be in poor form not to offer Horton a follow up interview. The scary thing is that if Fisher does go to the Dolphins Horton could be gone to the Rams.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Even if Horton left would it be hard to attract another top Defensive Coordinator with the young talent on the roster?

Acho,Dan Williams,Carter,Schofield,DWashington,Peterson,Toler and Campbell.

Toler is the oldest having just turned 27. Add in the veterans Dockett,Wilson and Rhodes and a young SILB.

That's a solid base for any DC to work with.

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just hoping Wiz is developing some depth on the DC front cause Horton will not last long.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
well yes it would

Sparano maybe? Whiz has chewed up clancy and Davis' careers, they were both respected like Denny Green- pre cardinal

I don't see top DC's knocking down our door for a job, We need a OC pretty bad, haley failed utterly at his HC chance?

Even if Horton left would it be hard to attract another top Defensive Coordinator with the young talent on the roster?

Acho,Dan Williams,Carter,Schofield,DWashington,Peterson,Toler and Campbell.

Toler is the oldest having just turned 27. Add in the veterans Dockett,Wilson and Rhodes and a young SILB.

That's a solid base for any DC to work with.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just hoping Wiz is developing some depth on the DC front cause Horton will not last long.

As I pointed out earlier, I think DeShea Townsend could be promoted. I'm sure he has the necessary knowledge of the defense.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would someone explain how a head coach can take a team from 4-12 to 10-6 and be considered a failure? The biggest trouble that Haley had was that the GM was supposedly forced to take him as a coach., but I doubt that because they were supposedly friends. The biggest trouble Haley had this year was Pioli and team injuries.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would someone explain how a head coach can take a team from 4-12 to 10-6 and be considered a failure? The biggest trouble that Haley had was that the GM was supposedly forced to take him as a coach., but I doubt that because they were supposedly friends. The biggest trouble Haley had this year was Pioli and team injuries.

His biggest trouble was losing his players cus they hated him and acting like a douche on the sidelines.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics