Horton to interview for Rams HC position.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who does Jax Jags get and who believes the rumor that the new owner of the Jags moves them to St Louis while the Rams move to Los Angeles?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So who does Jax Jags get and who believes the rumor that the new owner of the Jags moves them to St Louis while the Rams move to Los Angeles?

Why would he want to go to St. Louis to replace the Rams if he could just go straight to LA?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would he want to go to St. Louis to replace the Rams if he could just go straight to LA?

Cause he ( Kahn ) lives in St Louis and tried to buy the Rams. Not one to say there was collusion, but he wasn't outbid for the Rams purchase. Maybe a deal was already brokered and with Davis dead and buried, the pending anti trust lawsuit he held over the NFL is dead too, paving the way for the Rams back to L A. Then they get their Rams logo back where it belongs ( not Cleveland ).

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I don't know why anyones suprised, me & Shane already brought that this was going to happen recently!

I think Fisher is the guy the Lambs want, but some coaches have wowed their way into the HC position during the interview process before. I think Ray Horton is one of those type guys...lets just hope I was wrong thinking he has a legit chance this year!!! :bang:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if I wasn't a Card homer, I don't think Horton has done enough to deserve a shot at head coaching. Does his experience really establish he can coach all aspects of a team? D Coordinator for one year?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why the Cardinals would have given the Rams permissioni to talk to Horton.

I can't imagine it would do the organization any good the next time they went to hire an up-and-comer if they held someone back from interviewing for a better position. We don't have the national respect to overcome such a thing IMO, the sports media would rip us apart.

Steve

Buckybird

Reaction score
I have no idea why the Cardinals would have given the Rams permissioni to talk to Horton.

It's mostly an unwritten rule. I don't like it, but it is common courtesy to let a coach interview for a HC position.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It's mostly an unwritten rule. I don't like it, but it is common courtesy to let a coach interview for a HC position.

Yet, when we asked the Steelers to talk to Bulter, and we were told to pound sand it is OK ?

I guess the double standard of the NFL applies there. It is OK if the Big Names do what it takes to win, but when one of the bottom feeders do it is a, "HOW DARE THEY!" situation.

I dunno. Sounds pretty weak to me. I have more faith in Horton than Whiz, and think if this team is going to win, it will be through its defense. With out the lead man running the show, we are doomed next season, IMO.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
The Rams have reportedly received permission to interview Cardinals DC Ray Horton for their head coaching job.

Horton's debut in the desert was an unqualified success, as his defense showed significant steady improvement throughout the season. Even if this interview is being set up to satisfy Rooney Rule requirements, Horton's stock is certainly on the rise around the league. The Rams' first choice remains ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher.

Scheffer @ rotoworld

Buckybird

Reaction score
Yet, when we asked the Steelers to talk to Bulter, and we were told to pound sand it is OK ?

I guess the double standard of the NFL applies there. It is OK if the Big Names do what it takes to win, but when one of the bottom feeders do it is a, "HOW DARE THEY!" situation.

I dunno. Sounds pretty weak to me. I have more faith in Horton than Whiz, and think if this team is going to win, it will be through its defense. With out the lead man running the show, we are doomed next season, IMO.

I hear ya! But this is a HC position & why I didnt say those same words about Butler

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't officially run anything at all right now. New management, new coach, new everything.

What I'm saying is that they don't have the personel to run a 3-4. They would have to completely overhaul the Defense. Horton would be setting himself up for failure.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Rams are going to hire Horton, run a 4-3/ switch to a 3-4, and have to revamp their offense, they are toast.

Too bad for Cards' D, but Horton would be doomed.

Buckybird

Reaction score
They don't officially run anything at all right now. New management, new coach, new everything.

yep.

And it wasnt like nobody wanted Quinn to transition to 3-4 OLB. Add another or even try Long at the OLB position.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
AdamSchefterAdam Schefter
St. Louis Rams received permission to interview Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton for their head coaching job today.

:bang:

This is exactly what I feared would happen. HIs success with the Cards was sure to have other teams come calling. He would be a great loss to our defense who had apparently caught on to his schemes. All we can do is hope he remains but my guess he will be gone to one team or another.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rooney rule.

I highly doubt the Rams go for another former DC as their HC. They need an Offensive minded coach to ensure they get Bradford back on track.

There are other teams besides the RAMS who are looking for a HC. IF he looks good to us you can be sure he looks good to others. Our defense was top flight in the second half when they figured out what Horton wanted.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow! You just never miss an opportunity to put a negative spin on anything that could even be remotely connected to Whiz, do you? How about, "Just Maybe", Horton has impressed a few people around the league and that fact coupled with the Rooney rule will have him interviewing every offseason until one of them actually hires him.

Steve

He has made a believer out of me and if Whiz brought him here then Kudos to him.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So, if I wasn't a Card homer, I don't think Horton has done enough to deserve a shot at head coaching. Does his experience really establish he can coach all aspects of a team? D Coordinator for one year?
I thought the same thing. From secondary coach to head coach in two years seems like quite the precipitous rise.

Horton going to a team that runs a 4-3 makes no sense.

I'm not worried at all.
The Rams don't have to stay a 4-3 team. Their defense is horrible, and with a new GM arriving, you never know how many of the old personnel will remain. As long as guys like Long and Lauranatis can adapt, they could make the switch.

Head coach and defensive coordinator are two completely different scenarios. The Rams can actually interview Horton after March 1st without the Cards' permission, although they probably wouldn't want to wait that long.

Butler will eventually be the DC in Pittsburgh. If for some reason he doesn't, he could likely have a number of DC positions around the league. Head coaching chances don't come around nearly as often. Look at Grimm. He was one of the hottest head coaching candidates around for a while. Now his name never comes up, probably for good reason. I would hate to lose Horton, but I don't blame the Cards for allowing his interview.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard