Hope the Panthers are stupid.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm hoping Carolina falls for the Anthony Richardson hype and drafts him #1. That would greatly intensify the Cards trade value at 3. You would have the top 2 QB prospects sitting at 2 and 3. That would spark a bidding war among the Colts, Raiders, Seahawks, and every other QB needy team. Irsay has come out and said, "the QB from Alabama looks pretty good to me". With that many likely vying for the 3 pick, the Cards could probably get the #4, next year's #1, and either a 2nd or 3rd this year. And, I think that may be the minimum they could get.

C'mon Carolina, do something stupid.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm hoping Carolina falls for the Anthony Richardson hype and drafts him #1. That would greatly intensify the Cards trade value at 3. You would have the top 2 QB prospects sitting at 2 and 3. That would spark a bidding war among the Colts, Raiders, Seahawks, and every other QB needy team. Irsay has come out and said, "the QB from Alabama looks pretty good to me". With that many likely vying for the 3 pick, the Cards could probably get the #4, next year's #1, and either a 2nd or 3rd this year. And, I think that may be the minimum they could get.

That would indeed be an incredible gift for us. Let's hope Carolina is indeed that stupid.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Me too brother!

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On another note, I actually love what Carolina is doing. They signed Reich who I think will do a fine job. They had enough conviction to trade up to #1 to get a franchise QB (which they have desperately been missing for years) and then reloaded the WR room by signing a savvy vet in Theilen and a competent WR in DJ Chark. They are giving whatever rookie QB they draft an opportunity to have some immediate weapons. I can see Carolina competing for the NFC South in year 1 (I know winning that division isn't saying much, but still).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hell I was shocked when Baker Mayfield made the jump all the way to #1 late in the draft process. So I guess that it wouldn't shock me to see this happen.
yeah...I called Mayfield at 1 during the combine

and I called Richardson at 1 this year at the combine.

might I be right twice?? Hasnt been a full decade, but we will see.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I know this would be an unpopular opinion on the board, but if the Cardinals are truly only thinking of trading down, it's not the Panthers that I want to be stupid, it's the Texans. Let them take Anderson, so it takes the heat off of Monti when trading down.

Stout

Reaction score
I know this would be an unpopular opinion on the board, but if the Cardinals are truly only thinking of trading down, it's not the Panthers that I want to be stupid, it's the Texans. Let them take Anderson, so it takes the heat off of Monti when trading down.
So let's hope we don't have the opportunity to do the smart thing and draft the top edge guy, because it will save them blushes for doing the stupid thing if he's available? Blah! JMHO

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So let's hope we don't have the opportunity to do the smart thing and draft the top edge guy, because it will save them blushes for doing the stupid thing if he's available? Blah! JMHO
I see the logic. If Anderson is there, he is obviously the best choice.
however if he is off the board... there really are not any non QB's worthy of 3...so now trading back becomes the best choice.
hurts from a player perspective but saves years of grief from fans over not taking Anderson... Monti made the best choice.

I mean come on...we still get people raging over suggs

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I get it. Not saying I agree with it...just saying if they are hell bent on trading down, maybe even multiple times, I'm hoping that the bad part of the decision is taken out of their hands.

Stout

Reaction score
however if he is off the board... there really are not any non QB's worthy of 3...so now trading back becomes the best choice.
hurts from a player perspective but saves years of grief from fans over not taking Anderson... Monti made the best choice.

Oh, I'm with you. If Anderson's off the board, I'm all for trading back for a haul. GIVE ME ANDERSON OR MOAR PICKS!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...I called Mayfield at 1 last year during the combine

I’m pretty sure you didn’t call Mayfield at number one last year…. Just sayin

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Falcons are primed to trade up. They just announced Ridder will be their starting Qb in 2023.

Okay…sure he will.
My understanding is they would consider going into 2023 starting him, but that would not be the preference.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Regardless of the selection 37.6% of this population will be ragging.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yeah...I called Mayfield at 1 during the combine

Baker at least won a Heisman and still had college success.

Richardson has the supreme physical tools, but hasn't really put it together yet. I would be flabbergasted if he goes 1.

It will be interesting to see his career, but if he has the will and can be coached up, he could be dangerous.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Baker at least won a Heisman and still had college success.

Richardson has the supreme physical tools, but hasn't really put it together yet. I would be flabbergasted if he goes 1.

It will be interesting to see his career, but if he has the will and can be coached up, he could be dangerous.
Baker got the first overall during his interview at the combine. when he looked clevelands GM in the eye and told him, You guys been looking a long time for someone to turn this franchise around. Im that guy
he convinced them so they made the pick... it was the confidence over the accomplishments.

now Carolina is spending time with Richardson... he can woo them just like mayfield woo'd the browns...all of their teams success has come when they had a big athletic QB...when their super bowl team had Cam Newton I just cant see them considering Bryce Young

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Baker got the first overall during his interview at the combine. when he looked clevelands GM in the eye and told him, You guys been looking a long time for someone to turn this franchise around. Im that guy
he convinced them so they made the pick... it was the confidence over the accomplishments.

now Carolina is spending time with Richardson... he can woo them just like mayfield woo'd the browns...all of their teams success has come when they had a big athletic QB...when their super bowl team had Cam Newton I just cant see them considering Bryce Young

Maybe the confidence was the nail but he still had accomplishments to back them up. If he had Richardson's stats/tape, no amount of confidence would make him the #1 pick.

Cam Newton had accolades as well. He was a great college QB and worthy of #1. He is/was far superior as a prospect.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe the confidence was the nail but he still had accomplishments to back them up. If he had Richardson's stats/tape, no amount of confidence would make him the #1 pick.

Cam Newton had accolades as well. He was a great college QB and worthy of #1. He is/was far superior as a prospect.
he did...and Cam was amazing at auburn no doubt.

a couple months ago I pulled scouting reports on Richardson... then on Josh Allen.... if you removed the identifying names, wrote them on cards, and tossed them into the air...you wouldnt be able to tell which reports were for which player.
the belief was always that accuracy cannot be fixed. Many scoffed at Buffalo for picking Allen... but then Josh Allen fixed his accuracy issues. General consensus is because they were related to his footwork... and Richardsons are the same. if he improves his footwork so he is throwing from a consistent platform his accuracy should jump pretty dramatically and come into line with league leading quarterbacks.
His decision making just takes starts.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

a couple months ago I pulled scouting reports on Richardson... then on Josh Allen.... if you removed the identifying names, wrote them on cards, and tossed them into the air...you wouldnt be able to tell which reports were for which player.
the belief was always that accuracy cannot be fixed. Many scoffed at Buffalo for picking Allen... but then Josh Allen fixed his accuracy issues. General consensus is because they were related to his footwork... and Richardsons are the same. if he improves his footwork so he is throwing from a consistent platform his accuracy should jump pretty dramatically and come into line with league leading quarterbacks.
Has Allen completely fixed his accuracy problems? Since he lost Daboll, his completion % went from 69.2 in 2020 to 63.3 each of the last 2 seasons. He’s also thrown far more picks at critical junctures. Just saying.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Has Allen completely fixed his accuracy problems? Since he lost Daboll, his completion % went from 69.2 in 2020 to 63.3 each of the last 2 seasons. He’s also thrown far more picks at critical junctures. Just saying.
he fixed them enough to earn a contract and keep his team in the super bowl discussion.
will be interesting though to see if his efficiency keeps going down after losing his coach

Stout

Reaction score

Except Allen is literally one in hundreds, or even thousands, of very inaccurate college QBs that turned it around in a big way in the pros. Can you think of another one who managed it? I can't.