Hootie & the Blowfish singer Darius Rucker arrested on misdemeanor drug charges in Tennessee

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he ends up getting what amounts to a ticket for a cracked rear view mirror?

Not really news. :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weather is fine. Are you suggesting that it's okay for people who disagree with the law to simply ignore/break it?
When the law is unjust or idiotic, yes.

Should gay men have not had sex in Texas before the Supreme Court overturned Lawrence?

I assume you never, ever go over the speed limit, even one fraction of a mile per hour.

If you do, you need to immediately stop driving.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the law is unjust or idiotic, yes.

Should gay men have not had sex in Texas before the Supreme Court overturned Lawrence?

I assume you never, ever go over the speed limit, even one fraction of a mile per hour.

If you do, you need to immediately stop driving.
Fight to overturn or change laws, yes, but you must also face the consequences if you break them while they still are law.

One might think if you can open carry a gun in Arizona then you should be allowed to in all states - but you'd be wrong to test that out.

If Hootie is going to continue to live in Tennessee, he needs to obey their drug laws. Good chance he is not going anywhere since that is where Nashville happens to be, and he is now a country singer. If he doesn't like it, then he needs to help those trying to get the laws changed. With his money and fame, he is in a better position to do that than the average citizen. Until then - he is not a victim of a bad law, he is simply a lawbreaker.

My driving record is clean, and I drive over 35,000 miles per year. Thanks for your concern.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fight to overturn or change laws, yes, but you must also face the consequences if you break them while they still are law.

One might think if you can open carry a gun in Arizona then you should be allowed to in all states - but you'd be wrong to test that out.

If Hootie is going to continue to live in Tennessee, he needs to obey their drug laws. Good chance he is not going anywhere since that is where Nashville happens to be, and he is now a country singer. If he doesn't like it, then he needs to help those trying to get the laws changed. With his money and fame, he is in a better position to do that than the average citizen. Until then - he is not a victim of a bad law, he is simply a lawbreaker.

My driving record is clean, and I drive over 35,000 miles per year. Thanks for your concern.
So you would have been ok with me being arrested. Nice.

I didn't ask about your driving record - have YOU EVER gone over the speed limit (broken the law)?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can people please calm down and acknowledge the premium content/Hootie jokes?

No I don't want you to hold my hand.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cell-boys

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you would have been ok with me being arrested. Nice.

I didn't ask about your driving record - have YOU EVER gone over the speed limit (broken the law)?
I have exceeded the speed limit.

Exceeding the speed limit is only a traffic infraction which can result in a ticket and a fine and is not a criminal offense (not like a drug possession charge which started this thread).

There is such a thing as criminal speeding where you exceed the speed limit by more than a certain amount - like 20+ miles per hour on a highway or even less in a neighborhood, business area, or a school zone, obviously.

Having many friends and family who are police officers, they have always said that officers give drivers a buffer and usually won't ticket them unless they are going a certain amount over the limit - usually 8-10 miles over. Generally, if you are driving with the flow of traffic and not impeding others you are okay. Always drive safely based on the situation.

You can be ticketed for speeding by driving under the posted limit depending on several conditions - weather, the road, flow of traffic, etc. My mom got a warning on the Mogollon Rim for driving too slowly (hauling a trailer for the first time and just being overly cautious on a very windy day).

Truthfully, everyone speeds at some point. No different than when you commit an actual crime - if you get caught you must face the consequences. For a traffic violation you can either pay a fine, get points on your driving record, or take a class to keep it off your record.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are excusing your law breaking with "everyone does it"

What is more dangerous - a speeding car, or a joint?

What kills more people daily, marijuana or cars?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are excusing your law breaking with "everyone does it"

What is more dangerous - a speeding car, or a joint?

What kills more people daily, marijuana or cars?
No, you're trying to compare a traffic infraction to a criminal offense. Apples to oranges.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard