Honey Badger to Houston

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Hope him all the best.

Happy the soap opera is gone.

Having him and John Brown is a lot of potential out the door, but in both cases the Cardinals gave both more time to prove themselves then most would.

I didn't have any reason to think either would come back to be the player they once were. If it happens, great, both are good talents, and young men trying to make their money in the league, if it does not happen, I won't be surprised.

In the end, as a fan, I was done with the weekly soap opera where the story was "Is ______ finally back?"

It was time to move on, concerning both players.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ESPN said base salary is 7 mil - may have incentives to make more ? Regardless - it is his choice and I respect it.
Uh, not even close. Base salary is $2mil and the rest is mostly signing bonus. Also get an active per game bonus. He's got a lot to prove this year if he's wants a contract like he had with the Cards.

You must be registered for see images attach

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did someone tell TM 7 is less than 8?
8? He was originally guaranteed about $19mil if he were on the roster now. Even cutting $3mill off that for cap room in 2018 he lost at least $9mil in 2018 - the amount the Cards are carrying in dead money.

Foolhardy

Reaction score
just seems so senseless that he's not a card. they were willing to pay more than he got. makes no sense man.

His agent didn't do him any favors & gave him bad advice. He said in an interview before he was cut that he didn't know much & that his agent was handling everything. I'm sure personally he would have preferred to stay here.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If HB plays lights out this year on his one-year deal---will he then hit the FA market again next year?

The calculation might be to bet on himself that he will be the pre-injury HB and then be able to do a longer term deal for more $$$ than his old Cardinal contract.

What looks like a loss this year might be a pathway to an even bigger deal than his reworked Card contract?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If HB plays lights out this year on his one-year deal---will he then hit the FA market again next year?

The calculation might be to bet on himself that he will be the pre-injury HB and then be able to do a longer term deal for more $$$ than his old Cardinal contract.

What looks like a loss this year might be a pathway to an even bigger deal than his reworked Card contract?
This is what he is betting on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How so when he took less money? He said he wanted to play for a defense minded team & money didn't matter & that's exactly what he did.

Hahahahaha I wish I lived in dreamland. He saw all these huge contracts, said F taking a pay cut, let me hop in Free Agency and get Paid. But it blew up in his face. The Texans arent any more defensive minded than the Cards LOL. That was all posturing, he ended up with less money and a 1 year deal, you are completey insane and gullible if you think anything other than that happened.

Last edited:

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Arians must have been coddling some players. Looks like Coach W came in and kinda let the players know about his expectations and accountability. Maybe Badger saw the writing on the wall

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

He will never sniff the amount of money from his Cards' contract. It was a terrible contract (from the team's perspective) that is why he was cut. He quickly found that out. Even with a great year he won't command that much money. And if he plays anything less than great or get injured again, well he really blew it.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And then he gets a top five salary for his position... but what's his position lol

He and his agent will argue he is a CB while Texas will argue he is a Safety.

In 2017, the franchise tag for CB's was ~$14 mil
in 2017, the franchise tag for S was ~$10.9 mil

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...eed-to-know-about-the-nfls-2018-franchise-tag

Will be higher for 2018.

I'm not sure what the $$$ was on the Cards offer to restructure. I will go with the rumored $8 mil/year and no bonus money. Also assume HB plays like the old HB for the 2018 season.

So, Cards offer of $8 X 2 years = $16 mil
Texan + Tag = $7 + 14 for a CB = ~$21
Texan + Tag = $7 + $10.9 for a S = ~$18

So even in HB gets tagged he will still make more for the two years over the Cards restructure offer. Of course he will have to earn the franchise tag. If Texas doesn't match, he can shop elsewhere and at his young age, should get an offer above what he would have been making with the Cards.

Only HB really knows where he is in his rehab. He was never a speed guy (4.5 in 40 at Combine) but relied upon his quickness, instinct, smarts, and awareness as to where the QB was going with the ball. While we on the outside may laugh and call out HB for being greedy, the HB don't care. And neither does his agent.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrannmathieu/2540180/combine

So, stop with the comments making HB and his agent out to be ignorant for leaving the Cards and going FA. They are taking a calculated gamble on HB's return to health that will pay him more than the Cards be it franchise tag or another long-term deal.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He will never sniff the amount of money from his Cards' contract. It was a terrible contract (from the team's perspective) that is why he was cut. He quickly found that out. Even with a great year he won't command that much money. And if he plays anything less than great or get injured again, well he really blew it.

The original deal was pretty outrageous even by today's standards. Of course, we are now looking at the restructure offered by the Cards which was rejected by HB and not that original deal.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Ha! He found out the hard way that he is taking a pay cut no matter what. What's going to be even funnier is when Houston finds out that he can no longer play at an elite level and that he is just average they will realize they still over paid him. The Badger will end up getting half of what they gave him next year all because he can't get his head out of his a$$. He's like a spoiled little child that needs to grow up and realize life is not always going to hand him something for nothing. The Cardinals spoiled him rotten.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The original deal was pretty outrageous even by today's standards. Of course, we are now looking at the restructure offered by the Cards which was rejected by HB and not that original deal.
I heard it was for 8-9 million a year for 3 years. If true, that was a pretty good offer by the Cards, especially with his history of injuries. I love the guy but he is just not the same guy anymore. I would have liked him to take the new Cards' deal, but he backed himself into a corner when went national with the "I won't take a pay cut". I never heard Larry say that but he did restructure his contract numerous times and never lost a dime. It helped our team immensely. That's why Larry is Larry, too bad HB didn't follow his lead.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ha! He found out the hard way that he is taking a pay cut no matter what. What's going to be even funnier is when Houston finds out that he can no longer play at an elite level and that he is just average they will realize they still over paid him. The Badger will end up getting half of what they gave him next year all because he can't get his head out of his a$$. He's like a spoiled little child that needs to grow up and realize life is not always going to hand him something for nothing. The Cardinals spoiled him rotten.

Where did you get your inside information about HB's attitude? He fought back from two major knee injuries and got back on the field in 2017 and played like a warrior on D and special teams:

Mathieu finished with 1,263 snaps on the field — 1,058 on defense and another 207 on special teams. That topped Tennessee cornerback Adoree Jackson’s 1,258 (1,022 on defense, 224 on special teams, and 12 on offense.) There were a handful of players who played more on defense (including former teammates and safeties Tony Jefferson and D.J. Swearinger) but that was in part because the Cardinals’ sixth-ranked defense was able to get off the field more often. It wasn’t like Mathieu rested much. He sat out only six defensive snaps all season.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2018/01/03/the-workload-of-the-honey-badger/

Does that sound like a spoiled child?
Does that sound like someone expecting things to be handed to him?
Does that sound like he got spoiled rotten by the Cards?

It sounds like a hard-working professional athlete who has fought through injuries to stay on the field. He is a family man and worked to better the community. He was acknowledged by SK and Gov. Ducey even after being cut.

https://www.abc15.com/sports/sports...n-mathieu-thanks-cardinals-fans-after-release

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
NFL contracts are not guaranteed. He’s acting like he was cheated. He needs to talk to his player’s rep about upcoming CBA negotiations.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He and his agent will argue he is a CB while Texas will argue he is a Safety.

In 2017, the franchise tag for CB's was ~$14 mil
in 2017, the franchise tag for S was ~$10.9 mil

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...eed-to-know-about-the-nfls-2018-franchise-tag

Will be higher for 2018.

I'm not sure what the $$$ was on the Cards offer to restructure. I will go with the rumored $8 mil/year and no bonus money. Also assume HB plays like the old HB for the 2018 season.

So, Cards offer of $8 X 2 years = $16 mil
Texan + Tag = $7 + 14 for a CB = ~$21
Texan + Tag = $7 + $10.9 for a S = ~$18

So even in HB gets tagged he will still make more for the two years over the Cards restructure offer. Of course he will have to earn the franchise tag. If Texas doesn't match, he can shop elsewhere and at his young age, should get an offer above what he would have been making with the Cards.

Only HB really knows where he is in his rehab. He was never a speed guy (4.5 in 40 at Combine) but relied upon his quickness, instinct, smarts, and awareness as to where the QB was going with the ball. While we on the outside may laugh and call out HB for being greedy, the HB don't care. And neither does his agent.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrannmathieu/2540180/combine

So, stop with the comments making HB and his agent out to be ignorant for leaving the Cards and going FA. They are taking a calculated gamble on HB's return to health that will pay him more than the Cards be it franchise tag or another long-term deal.
You do realize safeties are rarely tagged. He'd probably have to be DPOY to get tagged.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL contracts are not guaranteed. He’s acting like he was cheated. He needs to talk to his player’s rep about upcoming CBA negotiations.

...and yet coaches salaries are fully guaranteed even when they under perform their contract.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen