HOFers

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
The early 80's Lakers had Kareem, Magic, James Worthy and Bob McAdoo coming off the bench.

The 86' Celtics had Bird, McHale, Parish and Bill Walton coming off the bench. I'm sure DJ will get a place in the Hall as well, giving them 5 HOFers.

But nobody will top the 62-63 Celtics, who had 8 HOFers: Sam Jones, Bill Russell, Tom Heinsohn, John Havlicek, Bob Cousy, Frank Ramsey, K.C. Jones, and Clyde Lovellette ... coached by HOFer Red Auerbach.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
07-08 knicks?

:lmao:

Of course knowing the Knicks' luck and ability to assess talent, the four of them will end up getting waived or traded away, and then and only then start putting up Jordanesque numbers. ;)

nowagimp

Reaction score
That's a good one. Is Cheeks in the Hall yet though?

As for the Laker lineup above, I feel Grant Hill gets in before the Glove.

Cheeks insn't in yet, and he may not make it. He's 3rd all time in steals, and 8th all time in assists, and shot 52.3 % FG's for his career.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As for the Laker lineup above, I feel Grant Hill gets in before the Glove.

no way in hell.

in fact, grant hill is not a HOFer. he could have been, and likely would have been if not for his injuries. but he didn't do enough pre-injury to merit hall consideration, and his injuries robbed him of a lot of stat padding years.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
who's getting 1st?

Kidd, Nash or GP?

payton, kidd, nash in that order.

Hill will make it into the h.o.f, no questions asked. the hof is for all of basketball so it counts college play as well. No way does hill get stiffed from the hall of fame. no way.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Hill is a great talent, but he is not a HOFer, yet. His career in NBA hasn't been much successful except personal stats. But if we a championship this year or next, with Hill as the starting SF, he'll make HOF, but still not really b4 the Glove.

Payton had a career with a lot of records, he lead the Sonics into NBA final once in his prime, that's a much better achievement than Hill. Though, he played a very limited bench role in 06 championship team.

Hill might surpass Payton, only if ... we win this year and next, with him as main starting SF ... I don't want to jinx the Suns, but I feel it's possible. :)

OP
OP
Cheesewater

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Hill is a great talent, but he is not a HOFer, yet. His career in NBA hasn't been much successful except personal stats. But if we a championship this year or next, with Hill as the starting SF, he'll make HOF, but still not really b4 the Glove.

Payton had a career with a lot of records, he lead the Sonics into NBA final once in his prime, that's a much better achievement than Hill. Though, he played a very limited bench role in 06 championship team.

Hill might surpass Payton, only if ... we win this year and next, with him as main starting SF ... I don't want to jinx the Suns, but I feel it's possible. :)

Hill won two NCAA Championships right? And played in a third NCAA title game. I think his college achievements almost fill the NBA gap between Hill and Payton. Plus the likeability factor...

Lynx280

Registered
Reaction score
hill is constantly labled as "one of the nba's classiest guys" people seem to really appreciate him and know what he could have done if not for those injuries he'd have done some amazing things. hes gotta b in there

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
It's the basketball hall of fame, not the NBA hall of fame. There are plenty of people who haven't played 1 minute of NBA ball that are in there.

Think the 60's Celtics dynasty. I think you could find 5 players if you look.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Even with his injuries, you guys seem to be forgetting that Grant Hill still averaged almost 20 points, 6.8 boards and 5 assists for his career so far.

He has also appeared in 7 allstar games, which is a ridiculous number - ESPECIALLY with the injuries.

Add in a rookie of the year, All NBA 1st Team once and All NBA 2nd team 4 times

Basketball-Reference.com, which some may remember has a HOF predictor has him listed at over 71% probability he goes to the HOF. Out of active players, they rank him as the 13th most likely player to get elected to the Hall. He is the 78th player of all time in the NB most likely based on their formula

If I remember right, they weight championships in their formula pretty well. If he gets a title on the Suns, and you add in his college career - Grant Hill is probably springfield bound

Last edited:

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
What about three rookies of the year in the starting five? Is this the first time in NBA history?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way Grant Hill gets in before the Gary Payton. Its not even arguable.

:yeahthat:

What about three rookies of the year in the starting five? Is this the first time in NBA history?

Interesting.

Here is the list of ROYs.

The 1979-1980 Lakers had Jamaal Wilkes (74-75), Kareem (69-70), but Magic lost to Bird. :(

Earl Monroe and Wes Unseld won b2b ROY for the Bullets and Unseld was league MVP as a rookie!

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary gets in before Grant. It isn't close.

Now between Nash, Kidd, and Payton, this debate is much closer. All 3 of them will make it though.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary gets in before Grant. It isn't close.

Now between Nash, Kidd, and Payton, this debate is much closer. All 3 of them will make it though.

FWIW (not much), here are the Top 20 from http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_active.html

Rank Player HoF Prob
1. Shaquille O'Neal 1.0000
2. Tim Duncan 1.0000
3. Allen Iverson 1.0000
4. Kevin Garnett 0.9999
5. Kobe Bryant 0.9993
6. Steve Nash 0.9986
7. Dirk Nowitzki 0.9985
8. Vince Carter 0.9417
9. Tracy McGrady 0.8577
10. Jason Kidd 0.8151
11. Paul Pierce 0.7669