Heroes: Season 4 and on

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess we have a separate thread for every year of this show, but figured I would just put season 4 and then lump anything that comes after it into this one.

Because let's face it...the show might not last much longer :)

Last season was utter crap again, but it's back tonight for a 2-hour premiere and I'm still giving it yet another chance.

I really wish they'd do something fun this season, like get the good guys to join forced, create some kind of "bat cave" and start acting like heroes instead of silly, whiney little girls all the time, but I doubt that will happen.

Anyone else still watching?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is make or break time for Heroes. It will either sink or swim this season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who has watched every episode of every season...

The premier last night sucked. It had a decent start but then devolved into the Sylar Show like always.

Mr. Bennett went from being the coolest character on the show to now he can't defend himself without a powered individual. I always felt he was more dangerous than his partners.

Claire is STILL the dumb dumb cheerleader. Her character has been a stupid brat for 4 years counting now.

Parkman went from this heroic cop with a cool way of solving crimes to a weak minded ***** who can't exist without a woman in his life.

Bah. Just terrible writing.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who has watched every episode of every season...

The premier last night sucked. It had a decent start but then devolved into the Sylar Show like always.

Mr. Bennett went from being the coolest character on the show to now he can't defend himself without a powered individual. I always felt he was more dangerous than his partners.

Claire is STILL the dumb dumb cheerleader. Her character has been a stupid brat for 4 years counting now.

Parkman went from this heroic cop with a cool way of solving crimes to a weak minded ***** who can't exist without a woman in his life.

Bah. Just terrible writing.

Sounds just about right, but you forgot about Hiro having something wrong with him again. I do like the new character, Robert Knepper from Prison Break. Although, it looks like he is on the show for only 3 episodes.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I grew sick of Sylar a couple of seasons ago, its time for his character to either disappear or become less of a focus.

I'll give this show a few more weeks, this episode didn't do much for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought episode was OK but why was this the first episode? We kept hearing how this would be the rebirth of Heroes. Why not have an action packed opener to the season to being back the "cool" factor then dive into what everyone had been doing leading up to that point. Just though that they needed to make a statement the first episode and I am really disappointed they didn't.

Last edited:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just though that they needed to make a statement the first episode and I am really disseminated they didn't.
We'll send out a search team to find you since you are scattered widely.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't regret giving up on this show a year ago.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The writers on this show are just awful. They take every single complaint over the past seasons and not only do they NOT address it, they accentuate it! Adding more people with abilities? Check. Having a character have an existential conversation with someone who isn't really there? Check. Hiro losing powers and regaining them? Check. Tracy becoming good, then evil, then good again? Check. Angela Petrelli trying to run things and manipulate Noah Bennett? Check. Claire trying to be "normal"? Check. There is nothing new with this show, they just keep rehashing the same tired formula.

Everything seems so fake in the show, from Claire's new roommate to the whole Parkman being jealous thing. Ando has even become more of a lapdog to Hiro now. The only cool character now is Ray Park.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
Wasn't really impressed with the premiere. I think they laid the groundwork to give us a lot, but they've done that several times in the past just to blow through what could be the interesting parts and get back to more leadins.

Every season seems like they open 100 stories, and close maybe 10 (if that anymore). Then when they close them, it's something stupid and had no bearing on the plot other than opening some other story that probably won't have any closure.

Claire's roommate killed herself. Was it murder? We find out it's suicide, but why? They'll never address it again. Don't get me wrong, I didn't care, just seemed like stupid filler for 20 minutes of screentime just to get Claire to jump out of the window.

If they don't start displaying some interesting closure on some of their stories, then not even a naked lesbian scene with Claire and Traci would save this show.

I still love Sylar. The best parts of the Episode are when he's taunting Parkman.

I got on Chaplin's case last season because he always had bad things to say about it, but now I'm getting fed up and want to join him. The worst part of all this for me is that I can't stop watching because my wife loves it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The writers on this show are just awful. They take every single complaint over the past seasons and not only do they NOT address it, they accentuate it! Adding more people with abilities? Check. Having a character have an existential conversation with someone who isn't really there? Check. Hiro losing powers and regaining them? Check. Tracy becoming good, then evil, then good again? Check. Angela Petrelli trying to run things and manipulate Noah Bennett? Check. Claire trying to be "normal"? Check. There is nothing new with this show, they just keep rehashing the same tired formula.

Everything seems so fake in the show, from Claire's new roommate to the whole Parkman being jealous thing. Ando has even become more of a lapdog to Hiro now. The only cool character now is Ray Park.

I actually liked the premiere until I read your post and now I think you are absolutely right.

I did like Peter though, I thought they finally have him doing what I've always wanted: saving people and being happy, instead of such a confused, depressed downer all the time.

I just don't know why they can't stop it with this whole idea of being "heroes" and leading everyday lives. I get it...we want to see stories of them dealing with real life, but they are friggin' heroes for crying out loud. Let's get some good versus evil, let's start forming a Justice League or something.

I truly believe if they put some enemy out there who was ransacking New York, and then our good guys started forming an alliance to take him down...and created some base, etc., this show would really take off.

One of the best parts of the premiere on Monday was the fight between Tracy and the knife guy. The way his knives went through her like she was water was pretty bad ass. But there just isn't enough of that stuff.

So very tired of all the drama and the conspiracies, etc. I'm really tired of the Hiro storyline especially.

I just want to see Peter become a Superman-like hero, Sylar stay himself and be evil, and let's have them duking it out. And then let's send others to fight other bad guys doing different things around the globe.

There is just SOOOO much they could do...ugh.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This show was seriously flawed from the get-go, but people didn't want to hear it. It was different so it was cool. I wanted it to be cool myself, and it was certainly different, but the idiot writers couldn't manage it. Thank goodness I dropped this show long ago. Just stopped in to see how the new season started, and boy did I find out!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't like the premier all that much. Miore of the same. I did enjoy Peter's transformation though.

I really want this show to be good. For that to happen, there needs to be less focus on Sylar and more smarts for stupid ass Claire.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost stopped watching this episode, but they actually have one decent storyline going:

The deaf girl who suddenly plays the violin and "hears" sounds through colors...or something like that.

It was a beautiful scene and something totally unexpected from Heroes.

Otherwise...Sylar and Parkman story sucks, Peter story is boring, except this guy from Prison Break is intriguing...

Bottom line, the show is just bad as always.

I really wish they'd look at some real comics and start making these people become superheroes instead of depressed people with powers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost stopped watching this episode, but they actually have one decent storyline going:

The deaf girl who suddenly plays the violin and "hears" sounds through colors...or something like that.

It was a beautiful scene and something totally unexpected from Heroes.

Otherwise...Sylar and Parkman story sucks, Peter story is boring, except this guy from Prison Break is intriguing...

Bottom line, the show is just bad as always.

I really wish they'd look at some real comics and start making these people become superheroes instead of depressed people with powers.

Mike you completely hit it on the head with the deaf girl. It was actually one of the most moving scenes I have ever seen in Heroes if not the most. I was watching that scene going wow....why can't we have more scenes or moments like this.

The discovery of something she didn't understand but the fact she embraced it at the same time. Powerful scene. Almost seemed out of place with the direction the show has taken. Can we get whomever wrote that scene to take over the show? :D

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike you completely hit it on the head with the deaf girl. It was actually one of the most moving scenes I have ever seen in Heroes if not the most. I was watching that scene going wow....why can't we have more scenes or moments like this.

The discovery of something she didn't understand but the fact she embraced it at the same time. Powerful scene. Almost seemed out of place with the direction the show has taken. Can we get whomever wrote that scene to take over the show? :D

Yeah, how can something so amazing happen in a show with such utter crap going on? :)

It was totally moving...they need more stuff like that going on.

People finding powers...being drawn to a central body of heroes who fight for good people everywhere.

The E!Online recap today pointed out how none of them have a real purpose to anything, which is why it sucks so hard. Claire has ZERO purpose. Parkman just doesn't want to even USE his powers. Peter is just saving people...I like that, but...more please? Hiro and Ando...uh...I dunno what they are doing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, how can something so amazing happen in a show with such utter crap going on? :)

It was totally moving...they need more stuff like that going on.

People finding powers...being drawn to a central body of heroes who fight for good people everywhere.

The E!Online recap today pointed out how none of them have a real purpose to anything, which is why it sucks so hard. Claire has ZERO purpose. Parkman just doesn't want to even USE his powers. Peter is just saving people...I like that, but...more please? Hiro and Ando...uh...I dunno what they are doing.

Agreed. I remember the thing I like so much at the start was the discovery of it all for the characters. What did it mean? What should they do? Do they want the responsibility? That kind of stuff is all gone.

Also, I remember people being completely geeked about Hiro and Ando story line. When they did the cliff hanger of Hiro back time everyone was this was cool. However, sometime after that things went in the wrong direction. I have never seen one character go off track so bad and so fast.

I also agree that they need a purpose. Sylar playing around in Parkmans head essentially castrates Sylar. At least with Sylar out there you knew someone was in danger or going to die.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is actually very real. It's call synesthesia.

Happy to see my harsh comments from Season 1 weren't off the mark. I was beginning to feel like maybe I was off and just didn't "get it." I felt like most of the positive mojo from the first season had everything to do with people just wanting it to be good. The failure rests entirely with the show runners who apparently have awful organizational skills and ... probably just not any real vision for the story line. The show is like a Frankenstein from an NBC marketing meeting: "What would draw in females from 16 to 25? There's that character. What would draw in males 16 to 25? There's that character. Storyline? Character development? Let the writers we just hired figure that out."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I also liked the deaf girl bit, but in the scheme of things it didn't fit and didn't make any sense in the whole "Heroes" world. It's not a power, so I'm not sure what the point of it was in that universe.

To me, it seemed like the original script was about 35 minutes long and they needed an extra 7 minutes to fill up the time, so they created this totally unrelated story and threw it in. I'll be surprised if she shows up in the next episode.

What bothers me more than anything about this show is that I'm still watching it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It appears to be synesthesia on steroids. In addition, it appears that somehow she is in tune with her ability to see sound and that translates into her being able to use objects that emit sound with no real knowledge. At least that is my take on her ability so far. The other thing that I noticed is that Peter and the others seemed mesmerized by it. I wonder if her playing had a hypnotic effect of sorts.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Happy to see my harsh comments from Season 1 weren't off the mark. I was beginning to feel like maybe I was off and just didn't "get it." I felt like most of the positive mojo from the first season had everything to do with people just wanting it to be good. The failure rests entirely with the show runners who apparently have awful organizational skills and ... probably just not any real vision for the story line. The show is like a Frankenstein from an NBC marketing meeting: "What would draw in females from 16 to 25? There's that character. What would draw in males 16 to 25? There's that character. Storyline? Character development? Let the writers we just hired figure that out."

I actually still think season 1 was good...it had a clear goal, had some nice twists, etc.

But the finale was a letdown and from then on it's been downhill.