Here's an idea...

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
How disappointed would you be if we traded Bryant Johnson straight up for Phillip Buchanan? Their paycheck should be right around the same amount (so no cap issues) and they're both young, raw (relatively), players at their positions.
McKenzie just turned 28 and will probably be slowing down over the next couple of ears so it would seem to be the smarter fit...and I don;t think we're in the running for McKenzie anyhow.

PK1

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
How disappointed would you be if we traded Bryant Johnson straight up for Phillip Buchanan? Their paycheck should be right around the same amount (so no cap issues) and they're both young, raw (relatively), players at their positions.
McKenzie just turned 28 and will probably be slowing down over the next couple of ears so it would seem to be the smarter fit...and I don;t think we're in the running for McKenzie anyhow.

PK1

NO.

OP
OP
Poorknight1

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
If Jason McAddley looks as decent as people have been saying it's really not that much of a stretch. Buchanan would add more to the defense than Johnson does to the offense...

PK1

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Buchanon coming off an injury? I wish we would have taken him when he came out but hindsight is 20/20.

JD Robertson

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
Alas it's only a pipe dream but I have this strange inkling that we're going to lose a lot of games 42-35...

PK1

Buchanan is a solid player, but I think that Bryant is going to be near-special in the Amani Toomer mold. Something just tells me that Buchanan doesn't have "it" to be a shutdown corner, or even a top 10 cornerback. He's more like the defensive equivalent of Antwaan Randle El.

I can stand to lose games 42-35 this season, and then look for conerbacks and middle linebackers (as well as a running back) in the 2005 draft. That way, we'll be looking at full stadia as the defense gets fixed (offense sells tickets).

NMCardfan

Rookie
Reaction score
DG is good, but I'd be suprised if we score 35 points three times this year. After the last few years, I'd be happy averaging 27 points a game.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I can stand to lose games 42-35 this season, and then look for conerbacks and middle linebackers (as well as a running back) in the 2005 draft. That way, we'll be looking at full stadia as the defense gets fixed (offense sells tickets).

I concur. I was actually going to start a seperate thread discussing the differences between the 2003 season and the dirty losses and finishing 6-10 in 2004, but with marked improvement in Off rank, Def rank and margin of losses.

With the Cards tough schedule, there will be some very tough losses.

A-Bomb

OP
OP
Poorknight1

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a fair assessment, K9. I too think Bryant has that potential but I likewise think that Buchanan has the same potential on the defensive side of the ball. Plus Buchanan gives us a good return man, and special teams goes a long way in winning football games.

Either way it's a lot of wishful thinking on my part but if McAddley gave us 10 less cathes and 150 fewer yards each year I think it would be a good deal. And if Larry turns out to be half as good as we all think you could plug a lot of folks in at that 3rd receiver and expect some good production since our 3rd receiver will only be expecting attention from the WLB in a standard package and the occasional SS.

PK1

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
NMCardfan said:
DG is good, but I'd be suprised if we score 35 points three times this year. After the last few years, I'd be happy averaging 27 points a game.

I am still wondering how we will defend the pass?????

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:

PK1

Actually there would be cap issues, when you trade a player I do believe that thier signing bonus is excellerated into that years cap.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Posts: 21 - Alas it's only a pipe dream but I have this strange inkling that we're going to lose a lot of games 42-35...
I'd like the trade but ONLY if Buchanon was (a) healthy, (b) not a head-case or me-guy and (c) playing to expectations everyone had for him when he entered the NFL.

And my guess is that if he were that good, his team wouldn't trade him even up for BJ.

I note that you're a relative newbie. Welcome. New guys pay - How about a Brat on a roll with Kraut and a Dos XX Amber?

You seem to have pretty strong opinions for a new poster. How long have you been a Cardinal rooter? (Or am I assuming incorrectly?)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
I am still wondering how we will defend the pass?????

We'd better hit the QB a LOT more than we have the last three years.

OP
OP
Poorknight1

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Gollin,

I am actually a California transplant to Utah. Moved out to Utah about 12 years ago now and my home town team, the Rams, ditched us for St. Louis. I hate the Broncos so my next closest geological choice was Arizona...and the fact that I have family there and hope to retire there one day doesn't hurt either. =) So been a fan for a little while now...

Myself and some friends are going to head up the the San Fran game on 10/10. If you for any reason find yourself at that game or if I manage to squeeze in a home game I will get you hooked up with a dog and couple a beers. =)

I was a longtime lurker until Skorp snared me with his "Lurkers - Sign Up" post awhile back. I am certifiable draft junkie and stat freak which tends to lead to strong opinions, unfortunately...

Hope to see you around.

PK1

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Poorknight1 said:
Mr. Gollin,

I am actually a California transplant to Utah. Moved out to Utah about 12 years ago now and my home town team, the Rams, ditched us for St. Louis. I hate the Broncos so my next closest geological choice was Arizona...and the fact that I have family there and hope to retire there one day doesn't hurt either. =) So been a fan for a little while now...

Myself and some friends are going to head up the the San Fran game on 10/10. If you for any reason find yourself at that game or if I manage to squeeze in a home game I will get you hooked up with a dog and couple a beers. =)

I was a longtime lurker until Skorp snared me with his "Lurkers - Sign Up" post awhile back. I am certifiable draft junkie and stat freak which tends to lead to strong opinions, unfortunately...

Hope to see you around.

PK1
Good stuff! I like the idea of having 3 good WR & then pick up a CB or two with next year's top picks.

I think we are closer on offense of getting it right.

Bobcat

Reaction score
NMCardfan said:

If that happened we might be the best offense in the NFL...!!!

Allan

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NMCardfan said:

If we are averaging 27 pts a game you can bet somewhere along the line we will have scored 35 pts.
We will also win more games than we lose. I have said in psat post, score 400-450 pts this year and watch how much better the defense will seem. BTW 27pts. per game would be 432 for the year!!!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
Mr. Gollin,

Hope to see you around.

PK1

Welcome sir!

Can I get a plate of eggs and bacon w/ some hash browns and wheat toast? a glass of milk and a glass of juice to wash it down please.

How did you become "poorknight1"? a chess thing?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
If Jason McAddley looks as decent as people have been saying it's really not that much of a stretch. Buchanan would add more to the defense than Johnson does to the offense...

This kind of stuff bugs me because we have never seen Bryant in Green's offense and he has one year under his belt. Cut the kid a little slack.

OP
OP
Poorknight1

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
At the time I created the email address that it's associated with I was doing a lot of research on the Poor Knights and Knights Templar, etc. Total geek stuff. =) I have used it since to just keep my usenames on message boards, etc. consistant.

Binkar,

I am in no way suggesting that Bryant is anything less than a fine player. Merely a suggestion because it would seem that our defense needs a lot of help and after we extend Boldin we'll have quite a bit of money tied up in three receivers when we really could be spending money elsewhere to improve this team. I am as excited about his potential as anyone and thought he had a good year last year...I just want to see this football team start winning games and I think our D will need help to make that a reality.

PK1

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Johnson for Buchanon straight up won't happen. Al 'Loony' Davis premiums CB and If we do upgrade the CB position it will come thru the Sept cuts or the draft or FA.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd do that trade in a second.You're giving up your #3 WR for a legitimate, high-caliber, starting CB.I think it would be alot easier to find another third wideout than a starting CB.Buchanon is going to be a stud.We are only hoping BJ can continue to develop and contirbute as 3rd option.This trade would be a no-brainer.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn