Herb Sendek Accepts Offer To Coach ASU!

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
This from his official North Carolina State bio.

The unity Sendek has fostered within his teams has led to success on the court. Five of Sendek's first six Wolfpack teams participated in postseason play, a feat matched only by Case, the legendary coach often credited with bringing big-time basketball to Tobacco Road. More impressive however, has been the way Sendek's teams have performed -- displaying togetherness while focusing on improving each and every day. Sendek knows no other way and expects nothing less from his teams.

The Wolfpack's strong foundation of unity, success and improvement has brought Sendek and his staff distinction in the area of recruiting. His 2001 recruiting class was ranked as high as third nationally, and his recruiting classes have ranked in the top 20 nationally three of the past five years, with the upcoming class promising to be one of his most highly-regarded ever.

At age 41, Sendek is one of the youngest coaches in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but his basketball pedigree runs beyond his years. As a youngster growing up in Pittsburgh, Pa., he constantly tagged along with his father, Herb, Sr., a teacher and basketball coach at both the high school and junior college levels. During his youth, Sendek was influenced by several coaches who had a great impact on him, including legendary junior college coach Bill Shay.

Sendek became a standout guard as a senior at Penn Hills High School, earning All-East Suburban notice as the team captain. He was also a leader in the classroom, graduating with a perfect 4.0 grade-point average. He was recently named to the Penn Hills Hall of Fame and to the East Boros Chapter of the Pennsylvania Hall of Fame.

From there, Sendek opted to attend Carnegie-Mellon University, earning a prestigious Carnegie Merit Scholarship and the opportunity to play for coach Dave Maloney.

One week into practice prior to his senior season, Sendek's playing career ended unexpectedly when a new coach cut him and two other players recruited by Maloney. What seemed like a disastrous event for Sendek, however, turned out to have a silver lining. Chuck Crummie, the head coach at Central Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, gave Sendek the opportunity to serve as a volunteer assistant coach.

After graduating from Carnegie-Mellon with a 3.95 GPA in 1985, Sendek launched his college coaching career. He joined Rick Pitino's staff at Providence College that fall, serving as an assistant coach with the Friars until 1989.

Sendek rejoined Pitino, who has had 14 former assistant coaches advance to the head coaching ranks, in 1989 at the University of Kentucky. He served as an assistant (1989-91) and then associate head coach (1991-93) for the Wildcats, earning a national reputation as a standout recruiter. Sports Illustrated named him one of the nation's top 10 recruiters in its 1992-93 College Basketball Preview.

His biggest recruiting coup during his tenure in Lexington, however, came away from basketball. Sendek met his wife, the former Melanie Scheuer of Danville, Ky., in Lexington and the couple was married nearly two years later. The couple's three daughters, Kristin (10), Catherine (7) and Kelly (5) are some of the rowdiest Wolfpack fans and one or more are usually waiting to give Daddy a kiss when he takes the court before home games.

After 11 years as a collegiate assistant, including Final Four appearances in 1987 with Providence and 1993 with Kentucky, Sendek took over the program at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. There, in his first venture as a head coach, he led the Redskins to three consecutive postseason appearances and the 1985 Mid-American Conference regular-season championship. His three-year record at Miami was 63-26, giving him the highest winning percentage (.708) in school history. He is the only coach ever to lead Miami to postseason play in each of his first three seasons, and he reached 50 victories quicker than any other Redskins coach.

After winning the MAC regular-season title in 1995, Miami earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, where Sendek's 12th-seeded Redskins defeated fifth-seeded Arizona (ranked No. 15 in the national polls), 71-62, before losing to 13th-ranked and fourth-seeded Virginia in overtime, 60-54. Sendek was named the 1995 Mid-American Conference and Ohio Coach of the Year.

Following the 1996 season, Sendek was named the 17th head basketball coach in the 110-year history of NC State University. After being introduced to the media and a gathering of Wolfpack fans in Reynolds Coliseum, Sendek expressed his heartfelt gratitude for the opportunity to coach at an ACC school with the tradition of NC State.

In Sendek's first season, the Pack won 17 games and posted the program's first winning record in six years. NC State exhibited the resolve of a championship team, advancing to the finals of the ACC Tournament and earning a berth in the NIT. The Wolfpack finished the year playing its best basketball, winning eight of its final 11 games.

The improbable run to the ACC Tournament championship game had NC State fans, the ACC, and college basketball fans throughout the country buzzing about the progress and potential of the Wolfpack program. Despite relying heavily on six players throughout the tournament, NC State pulled off upsets of top-seeded Duke (66-60) in the first round and No. 5 Maryland (65-58) in the semifinals, before falling to North Carolina in the final. With a bid to the NIT, the Wolfpack made its first postseason appearance since 1991.

In 1998, NC State made its second-straight postseason appearance despite battling injuries throughout the year. Reduced to eight healthy players at one point, the Pack rallied together to defeat No. 1 North Carolina in Chapel Hill and once again advanced to the second round of the NIT.

The Wolfpack continued its climb under Sendek in 1999, finishing the year with a 19-14 mark. NC State also finished fifth in the tightly contested Atlantic Coast Conference and advanced to the postseason for the third straight season. Sendek joined Everett Case as the only coaches in school history to lead each of their first three teams to the postseason.

In 2000, NC State began the year 15-3 before injuries to its top two reserves contributed to a seven-game skid. Still, the Pack was able to finish the season strong with its first 20 win season since 1990-91, and advanced to the ACC Tournament semifinals for the third time in four seasons. NC State made its fourth straight trip to the postseason under Sendek as well (and Sendek's seventh postseason appearance in seven years as a head coach), advancing to the NIT semifinals in New York.

Injuries were once again a big factor in the Wolfpack's fortunes in 2001, but the season was highlighted by a victory over sixth-ranked Virginia, the fourth over a top-10 team by a Wolfpack squad coached by Sendek. The four seniors from that 2001 squad -- Kenny Inge, Damon Thornton, Ron Kelley and Cornelius Williams -- all graduated.

The 2002 season may have been Sendek's most challenging, yet most rewarding. He took a team with just two seniors and five freshmen and won 23 games (nine in the ACC) for the first time in over a decade. He led the Pack to a third-place ACC finish in the regular season (after being picked to finish seventh in the preseason) and his team advanced to the ACC Tournament finals and the second-round of the NCAA Tournament.

Sendek won his 100th game at NC State in 2002, was named the NABC Districk 5 Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the Naismith Coach of the Year Award. The Sporting News selected him as the ACC Coach of the Year.

Last season, Sendek took his sixth Wolfpack squad to postseason play and became just the seventh coach in the storied history of the ACC to take three of his first seven teams to the ACC Tournament championship. For the second straight season and the third time in his seven years with the Wolfpack, his squad knocked off the tourney's top seeded team. For the second straight year, a Wolfpack player was named to the All-ACC first-team (Anthony Grundy in 2002, Julius Hodge in 2003).

In 2003-04, the Wolfpack posted some of its best marks in over three decades, winning 11 regular-season league games for the first time since 1974, with five coming on the road. NC State was ranked in the top-20 of the national polls for the last six weeks of the season and defeated five ranked teams, including No. 1 Duke. Sendek was named the NABC District 5 Coach of the Year for 2003-04 and won the ACC's Coach of the Year honor.

With 148 career wins at NC State, Sendek ranks 18th in the storied history of the ACC and among current league coaches trails only Duke's Mike Krzyewski (24 years) and Maryland's Gary Williams (16 years).

I don't give a **** what NC State fans are saying, this is a humongous coup for Arizona State.. GREAT hire, and he's still young.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
A lot of money for a guy who went 72-88 during ACC conference play at a program with a lot more to offer than ASU. Sendek is obviously an upgrade over Evans and will probably be comparable to Ben Braun as far as results go, but anyone expecting him to turn ASU into a contender when he couldn't do it at NC State is fooling themselves. Good hire for the Devils although I still would have hired Randy Bennett.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Renz said:
Looks like NC State fans wanted Sendek gone as badly as ASU fans wanted Evans gone.

Apparently, he also wanted to get the hell out of Dodge.

He took N.C. State to the tournament the last 5 years. If he gets N.C. State a little further, those guys are begging him not to leave.

Let's face it, he wasn't going to out-recruit Duke or NC.

I think it's a good fit for ASU. The guy obviously felt under appreciated. He comes here with something to prove, in a completely different environment. If he resurrects ASU's program... he can write his own ticket anywhere.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
A lot of money for a guy who went 72-88 during ACC conference play at a program with a lot more to offer than ASU. Sendek is obviously an upgrade over Evans and will probably be comparable to Ben Braun as far as results go, but anyone expecting him to turn ASU into a contender when he couldn't do it at NC State is fooling themselves. Good hire for the Devils although I still would have hired Randy Bennett.
I am sure u would have preferred Bennett, all Arizona fans would have, because it would have meant another ten years of complete dominance. This is the big name hire we needed. Welcome to the new era of ASU basketball.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
I am sure u would have preferred Bennett, all Arizona fans would have, because it would have meant another ten years of complete dominance. This is the big name hire we needed. Welcome to the new era of ASU basketball.

:biglaugh:

Please, the guy never won one conference title at NC State. I really thought ASU should of gone after Turgeon or Bennett. Bennett is from the area and has recruiting ties in the west. Sendek is a nice coach but he is not a guy who will come in and turn around the program in my opinion. Evans was also a nice coach but could not do it.

Sendek might have gotten NC State to the tournament but he was coaching a program that has a rich background in basketball. I bet NC State will have more wins in the next 2-3 years than they had in the past 2-3 years. If not, I'll eat crow.

Finally, it seemed almost all ASU fans wanted Evans gone, as did Wolfpack fans with Sendek. Can all fans from both schools be wrong?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHOENIX -- North Carolina State basketball coach Herb Sendek has accepted an offer to become the coach at Arizona State, an official with knowledge of the deal confirmed Saturday night. Andy Katz's Daily Sendek's decision to leave NC State for Arizona State didn't shock his new colleagues considering the way he had been treated by the Wolfpack faithful.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because there has been no formal announcement.

Arizona State athletic director Lisa Love, who attended the Sun Devils' spring football scrimmage Saturday in Tempe, was unavailable for comment.

Sendek is 258-158 in 13 seasons as a head coach, the last 10 with North Carolina State, where he is 191-132. He spent his first three seasons with Miami of Ohio.

Sendek led the Wolfpack to five straight NCAA Tournament appearances -- tying a school record set by the late Jim Valvano -- and reached the regional semifinals in last season.

He has been named coach of the year in two conferences -- the Atlantic Coast Conference two years ago and the Mid-American Conference in 1995, when he coached at Miami of Ohio.

The Sun Devils have been looking for a coach since March 10, when Love announced that Rob Evans would not return next season.

Her first target reportedly was Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon, who spoke with Sun Devils officials before accepting a contract extension from Pitt through 2012-13, at a significant pay raise.

A few days later, Love's search took her to Milwaukee, where she met with former Utah coach Rick Majerus. She did not make him an offer.

As she launched the search, Love said she was looking for candidates with college head coaching experience, NCAA Tournament success and familiarity with the West Coast.

The 43-year-old Sendek was born in Pittsburgh and has not worked west of Lexington, Ky., where he served on Rick Pitino's staff at the University of Kentucky from 1989-93. Sendek also had been on Pitino's staff at Providence.

But Sendek's résumé is filled with NCAA tourney experience, including an upset victory over Arizona in 1995 while at Miami of Ohio. In his second year as a head coach, Sendek led a No. 12 seed to a first-round victory over the fifth-seeded Wildcats, the school's first NCAA Tournament win since 1978.

Arizona State has beaten Arizona, its archrival, once since 1995.

After the 1996 season, Sendek left Miami for N.C. State. The Wolfpack failed to make the NCAA Tournament in Sendek's first five years but have made it each of the last five.

This season, the Wolfpack drew a 10th seed, defeating seventh-seeded California in the first round before losing to second-seeded Texas.

Despite the string of NCAA appearances, Sendek had come under criticism from Wolfpack fans, many of them angry at his 17-54 record against Duke, North Carolina and Wake Forest, the Wolfpack's three in-state ACC rivals.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski understands better than most. He went 38-47 in his first three seasons with the Blue Devils and heard plenty of grumbling from fans, alumni and boosters, known as the Iron Dukes.

"There are still some people I would never talk to from that," Coach K said nearly two weeks ago, when asked about Sendek's situation. "But I'll always talk to my president and my administration -- they didn't flinch. He's really one of the terrific coaches in our country. He's a proven winner.

"Hopefully their people won't flinch, either."

In the end, however, Sendek decided to leave on his own.

"I can't say that I'm totally surprised, but I'm disappointed," said Mac Campbell Jr., president of the Wolfpack Club, the fundraising arm of the N.C. State athletic department. "I think it will be a good move for him. Herb is just a class individual."

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Good, but not great hire

I'm pleased with this hire. Really, could they get anyone more proven than this guy? My dream hire would've been Mike Montgomery. But, ASU has to have someone get them to the level of the NCStates and Georgetowns of the world before they can even sniff the elite tier.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
:biglaugh:

Please, the guy never won one conference title at NC State. I really thought ASU should of gone after Turgeon or Bennett. Bennett is from the area and has recruiting ties in the west. Sendek is a nice coach but he is not a guy who will come in and turn around the program in my opinion. Evans was also a nice coach but could not do it.

Sendek might have gotten NC State to the tournament but he was coaching a program that has a rich background in basketball. I bet NC State will have more wins in the next 2-3 years than they had in the past 2-3 years. If not, I'll eat crow.

Finally, it seemed almost all ASU fans wanted Evans gone, as did Wolfpack fans with Sendek. Can all fans from both schools be wrong?

The only ACC teams to make the NCAA tourney every year in the past five years is Duke and NC State. Dont tell me this guy is not going to be better than Randy Bennett. I love all this talk about the ties to Arizona for Bennett. How many quality basketball players come out of the state of Arizona??? Exactly. I'm sure big time recruits would MUCH rather come play for Randy Bennett (who??) than Herb Sendek:biglaugh: Saint Mary's could barely win in the WCC. Thank god LL has more sense than you and hired a name rather than some dude from Mesa. Anyone who tells me a guy like Randy Bennett can turn this program around because he has Az ties, is purely ignorant. Go Devils

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
You ASU fans and your "big names." You'd think you guys would have learned your lesson after hiring Rob Evans over Ben Howland.

It's fairly obvious you don't watch college bball. If you did you'd know Randy Bennett is a damn good coach who's put himself in a position to take over a program such as Arizona State. Him or Turgeon are coaches I would worry about, not a guy who left a tradition-rich program for a bottom feeder because he couldn't meet expectatoions.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
The only ACC teams to make the NCAA tourney every year in the past five years is Duke and NC State. Dont tell me this guy is not going to be better than Randy Bennett.
Sendek also went 10 years without a league title, a league tourney title, only 1 Sweet 16 appearance and little recruiting impact in a hoops hotbed. I guess with ASU's low expectations, that would be good enough.

I definitely don't think he's worth $1 million though.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
The only ACC teams to make the NCAA tourney every year in the past five years is Duke and NC State. Dont tell me this guy is not going to be better than Randy Bennett. I love all this talk about the ties to Arizona for Bennett. How many quality basketball players come out of the state of Arizona??? Exactly. I'm sure big time recruits would MUCH rather come play for Randy Bennett (who??) than Herb Sendek:biglaugh: Saint Mary's could barely win in the WCC. Thank god LL has more sense than you and hired a name rather than some dude from Mesa. Anyone who tells me a guy like Randy Bennett can turn this program around because he has Az ties, is purely ignorant. Go Devils

Please show me one ASU fan who had Sendek in their top-5 coaches before the hiring? Bennett was was on many fans list. To say Sendek is a name coach is funny. If he was such a name coach how come ASU fans never mentioned him? If he is such a great coach how come NC State fans are celebrating his leaving? Sure he'll probably win a few more than Evans, but that is not going to be hard. For what ASU is going to be paying their head coach, you would sure want a coach who is well known so the fans would come out. They could of gotten Bennett for a lot cheaper and he would of brought as many wins to ASU as Sendek will. Let's bring this post back up in two to three years to see who is right.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
You ASU fans and your "big names." You'd think you guys would have learned your lesson after hiring Rob Evans over Ben Howland.

It's fairly obvious you don't watch college bball. If you did you'd know Randy Bennett is a damn good coach who's put himself in a position to take over a program such as Arizona State. Him or Turgeon are coaches I would worry about, not a guy who left a tradition-rich program for a bottom feeder because he couldn't meet expectatoions.

You are right, I dont watch any college basketball.:rolleyes:

Since you are so lovestruck with Bennett, can you tell me you would be comfortable with him taking over your beloved Wildcats when Lute moves on?

You can rip me all you want, but i am sure damn glad ASU didnt hire your boy Bennett. Talk about an empty arena...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
You can rip me all you want, but i am sure damn glad ASU didnt hire your boy Bennett. Talk about an empty arena...
Since Sendek's fifth place finshes and boring brand of basketball is going to fill up WFA.:rolleyes:

I'd take Bennett when Lute retires if he proves himself at a program such as ASU's.

Last edited:

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha You dont sound so sure of Bennett when talking about your own team, but sure quick to rip ASU for not hiring him. You must not have caught Sendek's first-round victory over Cal in the tourney...

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

I'm not much of a college basketball fan at all, so I didn't realize that was true.
You must be registered for see images

Dang.

Mojo

Veteran
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Please show me one ASU fan who had Sendek in their top-5 coaches before the hiring? Bennett was was on many fans list. To say Sendek is a name coach is funny. If he was such a name coach how come ASU fans never mentioned him? If he is such a great coach how come NC State fans are celebrating his leaving? Sure he'll probably win a few more than Evans, but that is not going to be hard. For what ASU is going to be paying their head coach, you would sure want a coach who is well known so the fans would come out. They could of gotten Bennett for a lot cheaper and he would of brought as many wins to ASU as Sendek will. Let's bring this post back up in two to three years to see who is right.

ASU fans didnt bring up his name because his hiring was a total surprise. When Lisa Love said she was going to hire a west coast guy I dont think ASU fans were going to think of the head coach of NC State. Personally I have no problem hiring a guy who coached in the ACC over a guy who coached in the WCC (no knock on Bennett).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think Sendek is a good hire for the Devils and will improve their program. He'll probably get them to the postseason on a consistent basis and be a massive upgrade over Evans as far as in-game coaching goes. I just think the entire country has seen what Sendek is capable of and that's winning some games but not competing with the big boys. He never came close to winning any championships at NC State and likely will not do such at ASU with UCLA, UW, Stanford, and Arizona looking loaded for the next five years. I have yet to see what Bennett can do at a big program and would have given him a shot over a guy who has proven that he can't get his teams over the hump.

Last edited:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'm pleased with this hire. Really, could they get anyone more proven than this guy? My dream hire would've been Mike Montgomery. But, ASU has to have someone get them to the level of the NCStates and Georgetowns of the world before they can even sniff the elite tier.

It's better than Lavin or Majerus. I personally wanted Krystowiak....but I'm willing to give this a try.

I've got a brother in law stationed in Raleigh....and he gave me some of the scoop. True he sent them to the tourney 5 straight times...but they don't have the same expectations in Raleigh that they would here. He was "nothing compared to Jimmy V." They feel like that is a program that should be getting to the Sweet 16 2 or 3 times every 5 years. A conference title or two every decade. He felt underappreciated and wanted out.

He'll struggle to get this team in the Top 5 in the Pac10. UA and UCLA are frigging loaded right now....and UA has been loaded for the last 20 years....that's not changing. Washington is putting together a nice program...and Cal is always tough and should be VERY tough next year. An NIT invite would be big next year.....maybe if they play better than I expect, they'll beat Oregon and USC...and finish 5th in the Pac and get a tourney bid......

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
DevilPrideBAS said:
Ha ha You dont sound so sure of Bennett when talking about your own team, but sure quick to rip ASU for not hiring him. You must not have caught Sendek's first-round victory over Cal in the tourney...

Mao can think Bennett is a good coach for a program like ASU to take a chance on but giving him the keys to the Arizona empire is not only premature for what he has proven but its like like letting the 16 yeard old driver take a spin in a Maserati...

I expect Arizona to have good chances at guys like Tom Izzo and mark Few if Lute keeps stocking the talent and we achieve some decent success in the next few years....

ASU should be happy becasue Sendek gives a little ACC cache to a team desperate for any advantage it can get....

It's like comparing apples and oranges....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard