Hello everyone....plus my biased take on Bosa vs Allen

wkycardsfan

Rookie
Reaction score
First time posting after probably 7 years of reading this board for Cardinal news. With the team in Arizona now you guys have been my go to for all things Cards. I have been a lifelong Cards fan back to the Neil Lomax, Roy Green and Stump Mitchell days.

Now for my biased take on Bosa vs Allen. I'm an even bigger UK football fan than the Cards so I know a little bit about the freak that Josh Allen is. I agree that Bosa is a special talent but I think a few of you don't know enough about Josh Allen. First a few questions that I have about Bosa. Did he quit the team after his injury or was his injury season ending? I have heard both ways and wasn't sure. Regardless when is the last time a guy was taken #1 overall after only playing in 3 games the previous season? My honest take is that the PR machine has created this monster because his last name is Bosa who played at Ohio St for Urban Meyer. Serious question: If he was the same player, with the same stats, coming off of the same season but his name was Nick Jones from Ohio University..... do you think he would be getting pimped as the #1 pick? I don't think so. He would be going back to school to prove he was healthy and put up numbers.

Meanwhile Josh Allen is a 6'6 260 lb freak who is still learning. The guy was a WR until his SR year of high school. He just absolutely dominated the SEC, 17 sacks this year. Not the Sun Belt or CUSA he dominated the SEC. Take the time to watch UK vs Florida, S. Carolina, Miss St., Louisville and Penn St the guy is unblockable. You will see teams clothes lining him, holding him, chipping him, double teaming him and still he gets to the quarterback. He is very good against the run and drops into coverage numerous times each game. Last I saw Mel Kiper has him as the #2 prospect in the draft for now. He basically swept all the defensive player of the year awards and I guarantee he kills the combine. Hard worker, no injury history and no off the field questions at all. Most of all in this day and age when tons of college kids are skipping bowl games Josh Allen played. He was already #4-6 pick in nearly every mock so he had a ton to lose. In spite of Penn St setting their whole game plan around blocking Allen he ended the game with 3 sacks and a blocked FG. Lol that's right dude was out there on ST and blocked a FG. I have seen people say he looks like he weighs 220 lb's no way the dude is huge.

If the Cards were gonna be a 4-3 team I would say, if healthy, Bosa would be the pick with his hand in the dirt. As a 3-4 team the OLB you take has gotta be Josh Allen. Again I am clearly biased but look into the man and just wait until the combine and Pro Days. As far as trading down to #4 with Oakland you are getting Josh Allen at 4. No way he gets past both SF and NYJ who need pass rushers so it's #1 or not at all. Sorry for such a long first post but this topic has brought me out from lurking for a long time.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
welcome to asfn, we appreciate your input.

now, go get me a 30 year old single malt scotch and a cuban

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Happy to see a long-time lurker come forth with some first hand personal knowledge!

Get me a modelo negro with a lime and a lean corned beef and Swiss on marble rye.

BirdDroppings

Rookie
Reaction score
Bosa was projected #1 in most early mocks from before the season even began based on how he looked as a freshman and sophomore. The nature of his injury is such that it shouldn't hurt his draft status (not a lingering issue and he should be 100% at the combine). I don't think his status is based on his name and his coach, but on the fact that he was virtually unblockable for his first 2 seasons and the beginning of his 3rd season prior to the injury. That doesn't mean he automatically should still be #1, but to suggest that it is just PR and not based on performance is ridiculous.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thank u totally agree with u, if u watch allen tape is just dominant , super quick, fast , can bend like von miller, no stop motor, doesnt have any weakness, he is not light he is just 2 or 3 inch taller then bosa so has a leaner body

considering our needs allen is the better player, but as u said bosa is actually the consensous 1st pick cause of his name, things will change pretty soon

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
thank u totally agree withj u, if u watch allen tape is just dominant , super quich, fast , can bend like von miller, no stop motor, doesnt have any weakness, he is not light he is just 2 or 3 inch taller then bosa so has a leaner body

considering our needs allen is the better player, but as u said bosa is actually the consensous 1st pick cause of his name, things will change pretty soon
He definitely has weaknesses.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m taking at least 6 defensive players in this class before Allen.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I'm really hesitant on Bosa because of the injury concerns. Last thing we need is a guy who struggles to get on the field.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more Allen has to be the pick he's the perfect 3-4 OLB.

Like it's been said he's 6'5 and he's not some raw project like a Dion Jordan a few years ago his production is off the charts. SEC defensive player of the year 28 sacks for his college career,BUT it's what else he does.

93.5 pass rush grade best in the country
14 sacks
51 total pressures

Dropped into coverage 141 times only allowing 130 yards on 19 targets giving up 0 touchdowns.

You watch him drop back on YouTube and you see him running 20 yards down field breaking up passes and looking good doing it.

He's going to be special

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more Allen has to be the pick he's the perfect 3-4 OLB.

Like it's been said he's 6'5 and he's not some raw project like a Dion Jordan a few years ago his production is off the charts. SEC defensive player of the year 28 sacks for his college career,BUT it's what else he does.

93.5 pass rush grade best in the country
14 sacks
51 total pressures

Dropped into coverage 141 times only allowing 130 yards on 19 targets giving up 0 touchdowns.

You watch him drop back on YouTube and you see him running 20 yards down field breaking up passes and looking good doing it.

He's going to be special

total sacks 31.5 and lot of tackles, so he is a complete player covering lot of field for a pass rusher
i totaly agree with u, he is a special player and with no injury concerns, stellar production talent athletic traits great character

1st overall pick all day

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! Another Wildcat from UK.... Makes me remember my time in Louisville. I'll take some Pappy Van neat please.

And I agree with your take. I'm all for trading back 1 to 2 picks if the QB teams become a bit desperate.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What's up with Kentucky Cardinal fans all of a sudden? Welcome to the board! I will take a glass of your finest Cabernet and a bone in ribeye.

Appreciate your take on Allen vs Bosa.

The way you describe him, it sounds like Khalil Mack but he is not KM. He is not Von Miller either.

Positives - great motor, athletic, and versatile. He gets sacks with speed around the edge. NFL OT's will neutralize some of that.
Negatives - Not effective in defending the run on edge. Doesn't have great hands or counter moves on rush. Doesn't bend like Von Miller.

He does seem like a better fit for a 3-4 than Bosa but I think Bosa is more talented right now.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Allen accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl. The practices are even more important to the pro scouts than the game. I really hope he does show up. It can certainly impact his draft ranking.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Allen accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl. The practices are even more important to the pro scouts than the game. I really hope he does show up. It can certainly impact his draft ranking.

I dont remember a projected top 5 pick playing at senior bowl
It said a lot about the kid, bosa just quit playing after 5 games

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a good friend who moved to PA a few years back from the great state of KY. He bleeds UK blue, and is actually nauseating to listen to in regards to college basketball. Are all UK basketball fans arrogant & pompous:cool:. He's actually a big hearted guy, and I love his family. As a UK football fan, he's a little more grounded. As it became more clear that the Cardinals would own a high pick (by mid-September), he has been pimping this kid Allen to me. I'll be honest, I'm not an SEC guy, so I watch more of Syracuse/Notre Dame/OSU/OU. I did catch some of the PSU bowl game & Allen looks to be a stud. Being from PA, I do know that Penn State was playing without a few D-Lineman that day. Nevertheless, Allen's numbers are consistent and his tape doesn't lie.

I have also watched Bosa in the past, and your being foolhardy to think that he's not also a stud on the football field. He absolutely is. Injury concerns aside (injuries can & do happen), we'll have to leave it up to the Cardinals to decide which guy best fits our defensive system. I'm just hoping that our defensive coaches have a great say in making that pitch to Keim. It's an exciting time in AZ, and it's critical that we get this offseason right with FA's & the draft. The Cardinals need to do their homework & then RUN to the podium with the 1st overall pick. This year, I'm not a fan of trading down at all. When you've added a whole new dimension to the word "suck", you take that 1st pick. Too much at risk to not get the guy you want. You've earned that pick, now go get it.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I have to admit I like this. Kids a sure fire first round pick and doesn't need to play in this game yet he is. Shows a ton of passion for the game. Played in the bowl game when the trendy thing now is to skip them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd consider him. He's definitely in the conversation because of his production, position, and perceived measureables.

Bosa's big knock is that he has injury concerns and to me that is something to worry about.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Another UK fan with his PR machine running rampant.A big eff no to Allen for #1 pick.Maybe 9 or 10 but eff no to #1.I do thinlk Allen is a good player but not #1 worthy.If Kiper is pimping him then that automatically drops him for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson